Gibson Brands Forums

New R8-(but modded) some questions as to original hardware

rlammjr

Got a new R8! Woohoo!

alright, so the pickups were changed out. Were the original set just over the counter Burstbucker 1 and 2s or are they somehow special?

Were the covers aged or just shinny nickel (I have the VOS version)? lastly, I am sure it did not come with locking tuners....again over the counter Klusons?

thanks

rlammjr post-9077-079869000 1331826294_thumb.jpg

Guest farnsbarns

Got a new R8! Woohoo!

alright, so the pickups were changed out. Were the original set just over the counter Burstbucker 1 and 2s or are they somehow special?

Were the covers aged or just shinny nickel (I have the VOS version)? lastly, I am sure it did not come with locking tuners....again over the counter Klusons?

thanks

rlammjr post-9077-079869000 1331826294_thumb.jpg

Lovely guitar, just like mine.

I'm not 100% on the pickups but pretty sure they're ordinary BBs.

The covers are sort of tarnished on the vos, more so on mine than on the bridge and tail.

Tuners are the Gibson deluxe 2 stripe klusons with the tulips but also have the slight ageing.

What are the new pickups? It could be an improvement.

It came with WCR Crossroads and Dark Burst pickups...but I swapped them out for my Benwabranes (Scatterbranes)which in my opinnion nail the 50's quack much better (Led Zep tones). I was not looking to change them again (the pickups), but I thought now is the time to maybe get a set of original issue pups-just to be able to get as close to stock as possible one day if desired..and have them aging (in a drawer) at the same rate as the guitar. I am not a fan of the locking tuners and was going to switch them out if I could produce the original stock ones or exact replicas.

Lovely guitar, just like mine.

I'm not 100% on the pickups but pretty sure they're ordinary BBs.

The covers are sort of tarnished on the vos, more so on mine than on the bridge and tail.

Tuners are the Gibson deluxe 2 stripe klusons with the tulips but also have the slight ageing.

Thanks! That is very helpful. If I get the "itch" for original stock, it would be nice to have these items aging in a draw somewhere at the same rate as the guitar.

Archived