Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone know what type of Gibson ES this is?

Rich W

Scott Sharrard (of the Gregg Allman Band) plays a Gibson semi-hollow with a figured top that sounds great with slide.

It's too small to be a 335 ... maybe a 336 or 356? Does anyone know anything about this guitar?

Also, does anyone know what the function of that large black knob is just below the bridge pickup?

gregga002.jpg

I found this on The Gear Page:

"Scott's a killer player and a nice dude. I shot him an email after seeing him with Gregg Allman and he went through his gear. 336 w/extra volume knob>Vox wah>Zendrive>DejaVibe>Carbon Copy>60's Vibrolux and a boutique 18 watt Marshall clone head with Pro Reverb as cab."

Weird how they mounted the extra volume control in the top of the treble side f-hole.

I was thinking about that too.

Its not pretty, but its location is more functional than the other volume controls. If it's a master volume, I wonder if it retains whatever volume ratio he decides on with the bridge and neck volume controls?

Patrick Simmons (Doobie Brothers) also has a Gibson ES with the same additional volume control in that location.

I was thinking about that too.

Its not pretty, but its location is more functional than the other volume controls. If it's a master volume, I wonder if it retains whatever volume ratio he decides on with the bridge and neck volume controls?Patrick Simmons (Doobie Brothers) also has a Gibson ES with the same additional volume control in that location.

That's the point of a master volume control.

Archived