Gibson Brands Forums

Granadillo? Whats Up?

eyerish

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok.

If You look up the specs on the Gibson product pages, You will find that Les Paul guitar bodies are made of "Genuine Mahogany".

The title of "Genuine Mahogany" can be used for three species exclusively: Swietenia macrophylla, Swietenia mahagoni and Swietenia humilis. Even though, all three belong to the genus Swietenia, but only one is actually called "mahogani"!!! That's what is also called as Cuban Mahogany. So, every guitar made of "crappy" and "cheap" Honduran mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) is cheating the customer.

That's the world according to Zentar.

Bence.

Well, the marketing departments of all vendors cheat their customers every day, right?

And in case of Gibson or any other guitar company ... as long as it looks good, feels good and sounds good, everything should be fine, shouldn't it.

Whoever isn't fine with these facts, should consult a local luthier and order a custom build ;)

Ok.

If You look up the specs on the Gibson product pages, You will find that Les Paul guitar bodies are made of "Genuine Mahogany".

The title of "Genuine Mahogany" can be used for three species exclusively: Swietenia macrophylla, Swietenia mahagoni and Swietenia humilis. Even though, all three belong to the genus Swietenia, but only one is actually called "mahogani"!!! That's what is also called as Cuban Mahogany. So, every guitar made of "crappy" and "cheap" Honduran mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) is cheating the customer.

That's the world according to Zentar.

Bence.

In your world it is permitted to make up false quotes by other people. In my world that is not acceptable.

Guest Farnsbarns

No it isn't Rosewood. Is Grapefruit an Orange? Is Soccer the same as American football? Europeans call soccer "football". Shark is sometimes sold as scallop.

Soccer is only called soccer by a nation who decided to name something else that isn't football as football. Both are therefore called football. One is also called soccer.

Granadillo is one of several woods known collectively as rosewood.

How is this so hard to comprehend. I mean come on. You can't be that stupid so I have to assume you're a troll.

Soccer is only called soccer by a nation who decided to name something else that isn't football as football.

LOL

You can't be that stupid so I have to assume you're a troll.

Maybe our friend is just very young? That might explain, why he often feels personally attacked, just because someone has a different point of view.

No offence intended ... peace !!!

LOL

Maybe our friend is just very young? That might explain, why he often feels personally attacked, just because someone has a different point of view.

No offence intended ... peace !!!

I wanted brown Rosewood not orange Granadilla. At 59 this was my last chance I'll have in my life to own a real LP Standard. Were this a $1000 guitar it wouldn't be a big deal. $3000 is a lot of money to me. In fact I should not have spent that much on a guitar but either I made the leap now or I'd never own one. It saddens me the guitar has Granadillo. That's not the feeling I expected out of such a large expenditure.

Most likely I'll make an attempt at staining it darker but now I have to buy a junker guitar with a granadillo finger board to test colors.

Guest Farnsbarns

I wanted brown Rosewood not orange Granadilla. At 59 this was my last chance I'll have in my life to own a real LP Standard. Were this a $1000 guitar it wouldn't be a big deal. $3000 is a lot of money to me. In fact I should not have spent that much on a guitar but either I made the leap now or I'd never own one. It saddens me the guitar has Granadillo. That's not the feeling I expected out of such a large expenditure.

Most likely I'll make an attempt at staining it darker but now I have to buy a junker guitar with a granadillo finger board to test colors.

Perhaps look at, touch and play a guitar before you buy it? Let alone do some research.

It saddens me the guitar has Granadillo. That's not the feeling I expected out of such a large expenditure.

Does that mean, that you played a Granadillo fretboard yourself?

The one on my LP Signature T looks, feels and sounds like any other rosewood fretboard, though mine is darker like most others I saw or held in my hands.

Mine looks similar to the one in the following video, a bit darker after oiling it:

Perhaps because the 2016 Traditional has, according to official specs on the Gibson site, a dark rosewood fingerboard?

Do you ever check anything out before you have a rant?

Pip.

Perhaps look at, touch and play a guitar before you buy it? Let alone do some research.

Again, WHICH guitar are we talking about?

If you want rosewood and not Granadillo, then why buy one with the wood you don't want? If you don't like the particular guitar, why not send it back?

Also, HOW are you able to tell which is which? If this is a specific guitar you are talking about, how are you determining what the fingerboard is made of?

By reading what you are ranting about, I am not convinced you have a guitar with Granadillo, or that you actually know the difference between one species of rosewood to another, by judging in person.

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm curous to know which species of rosewood Zentard actually wants. I think I'm on some sort of ignore list (aparently he can't ignore me unaided). Could someone ask what species is "genuine Rosewood?"

Again, WHICH guitar are we talking about?

If you want rosewood and not Granadillo, then why buy one with the wood you don't want? If you don't like the particular guitar, why not send it back?

I was going to ask this too. I wouldn't spend $3,000 on a guitar but if I did I certainly wouldn't get one if I didn't love everything about it.

I'm curous to know which species of rosewood Zentard actually wants. I think I'm on some sort of ignore list (aparently he can't ignore me unaided). Could someone ask what species is "genuine Rosewood?"

I am thinking it has to do with color more than species. And deciding on what species it is based on color rather than what species it might actually be.

So it you can't tell what species something is, how can you decide what species you want?

I'm so curious now I think I might actually want something with Granadillo. I HAVE seen some guitars with it where I could tell it wasn't the same stuff as other stuff. But to me, it's more how it sounds and feels. But the stuff I saw with Granadillo wasn't lighter in color than most rosewood I have seen at the same time.

Another thing, and this is just ME, if I am going to judge a fretbaord based on color, I usually look at how that color goes with the colors on the rest of the guitar, not one is "better" based on light or dark or red vs orange or brown. Makes more sense to judge looks based on looks, not species. There are SO many differents shades and color with in type that judging which one it is based on color is futile. If I wanted something with more red in it, buying something with a Brazilian fretboard because the catalog said it was would likely NOT give me the redder color I wanted, would it?

In particular, dark vs light. Really.

I usually look at how that color goes with the colors on the rest of the guitar, ...

That is a very good point and I can give an example ... and yes, it's the Signature T again. In the video I posted above we see the wine red one, which looks great with a brown or more reddish fretboard, but ugly with a more orange fretboard. Not so on the white one, where all look equally good ... ok, depending on personal taste.

But all sound and feel the same.

That is a very good point and I can give an example ... and yes, it's the Signature T again. In the video I posted above we see the wine red one, which looks great with a brown or more reddish fretboard, but ugly with a more orange fretboard. Not so on the white one, where all look equally good ... ok, depending on personal taste.

But all sound and feel the same.

That sir, was EXACTLY my point, that different shades do look better or worse, or are more or less brought out be the color of the rest of the guitar. And/or if the match or clash.

Also, further wanted to make the point that in my experience, between the 3 major rosewoods, (Brazilian, Indian, and "Granadillo") that seems to be the subject here, they themselves have just as much variation in color within it's own type than they do compared to another type.

Orange might be more common with Grnadillo, red with Bralilan, and yellow for Indian, but I could just as easily find and Indian with more orange or a Granadillo with more brown or red.

The OP seems to be stating he has a Granadillo board based on color alone, is the impression I am getting.

Ok, we already often talked about the different colors Granadillo can have, but I think there's one thing, we forgot: Especially the lighter colored pieces often have a unique wood texture in it, which remind me a bit of tiger stripe ebony, just lighter in color.

Depending on how nicely fretboard and body colors match, these textures can be a real eye catcher.

I'd never spend that sort of money on any guitar with a rosewood fretboard, regardless of the species.

I did and I can tell you why: I wanted a Gretsch hollow body and found out, that the Panther sounded much better than the double cut Falcon. The specs of both guitars were identical, except rosewood versus ebony fretboard.

So rosewood can (!) be the better choice over ebony ;)

PS: Here's a video, that might explain, why I love this Gretsch so much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5SR8egVgc8

I did and I can tell you why: I wanted a Gretsch hollow body and found out, that the Panther sounded much better than the double cut Falcon. The specs of both guitars were identical, except rosewood versus ebony fretboard.

So rosewood can (!) be the better choice over ebony ;)

PS: Here's a video, that might explain, why I love this Gretsch so much:

oh man, that sounds su- [love]-purb!

of course I could find something wonderful like that and be be sorely tempted (and my best guitar has rosewood) but I'd resent it if I bought it. Rosewood is fabulous for acoustic back & sides, but I just dont like it as fret board material. Given the choice, I'd rather have a synthetic one.

oh man, that sounds su- [love]-purb!

Yeees, and it was this video, that made me want to play it myself ;)

So I drove to Cologne to one of Germany's largest instrument shops, tested it in their "Custom Shop" and told the shop guy: "I need to feed this Panther at home" :D

And I fed it by oiling the fretboard, that got pretty dark by that, and I strung it with Thomastik Jazz Swing flatwounds in .10-.44, which allow an action even lower than on my Les Paul. And again ... the rosewood is part of the sound of this extremely versatile guitar, that allows anything from Jazz up to Hard Rock ... for sure, it's not a Metal axe ;)

For my taste the Gretsch Panther is a real ES-335 killer ... btw, someone tested and bought one at the same time, when I was in that shop.

You see, I really love this guitar.

Yeees, and it was this video, that made me want to play it myself ;)

So I drove to Cologne to one of Germany's largest instrument shops, tested it in their "Custom Shop" and told the shop guy: "I need to feed this Panther at home" :D

And I fed it by oiling the fretboard, that got pretty dark by that, and I strung it with Thomastik Jazz Swing flatwounds in .10-.44, which allow an action even lower than on my Les Paul. And again ... the rosewood is part of the sound of this extremely versatile guitar, that allows anything from Jazz up to Hard Rock ... for sure, it's not a Metal axe ;)

For my taste the Gretsch Panther is a real ES-335 killer ... btw, someone tested and bought one at the same time, when I was in that shop.

You see, I really love this guitar.

Do they make any with a hard tail bridge?

Archived