Gibson Brands Forums

New Nuts

surfpup

Looking at these new pre-slotted bone nuts at Stew-Mac. Anyone know if the 35.56mm fits the 50's neck profile and the 33.65mm fits the 60's neck? Or is it not that simple? I guess I may have to break out the ruler. Thought one of you may have used them before.

No one seems to care to discuss nuts. In this vast pool of guitar knowledge, there's not ONE opinion in response to the original post. (sorry I can't help you, I just don't know)

But we'll beat to death a post about shooting a coyote or the possibility of another earth. Perhaps, if you take your question to a hunting forum... <_<

The only way to know for sure is to measure the existing nuts with a metric micrometer, if you happen to have one. Those metric sizes seem too small to me to fit a 50s or 60s neck.

Those numbers are the string spread (distance between the two E strings) not the nut width.

No one seems to care to discuss nuts. In this vast pool of guitar knowledge, there's not ONE opinion in response to the original post. (sorry I can't help you, I just don't know)

But we'll beat to death a post about shooting a coyote or the possibility of another earth. Perhaps, if you take your question to a hunting forum... <_<

That seems to be the state of affairs around here lately.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, last night I was able to measure accurately enough with a clear ruler to determine that the 35.56 mm string spread is correct for both neck profiles. The 33.65 is much narrower - maybe would work for one of those real skinny necks on an actual 60s era Gibson. I'm going to try the 35.56 pre-slotted bone nut on one of my Les Pauls with a 60s neck and my SG with a 50s neck.

Guest farnsbarns

I did spend about 10 minutes googling but when I realized that every dimension I could find was imperial and your measurements are metric I wasn't going to be able to answer properly, so I didn't.

Hey Surf,

I consider myself semi-proficient in guitar repairs and mods, but I tried to replace the nut on my Alvarez-Yairi and failed miserably. I Googled, measured, measured, Googled...and still ended up with an imperfect fit. My guitar guy had trouble too, so I didn't feel too bad. I don't know if it was the guitar, the nut, or me, but I found this particular task way more problematic than I anticipated.

The doors over there, bye.

Neither do you, eh?

Nope, seems pretty evident from my previous post.

I have a luthier friend who actually saves the bones from roasts that are cut from the legs,lets them fully dry and uses them quite successfully to make his own nuts. Moose bones also do very well and a lot of our local luthiers use them because of the abundance of moose here.

Looking at these new pre-slotted bone nuts at Stew-Mac. Anyone know if the 35.56mm fits the 50's neck profile and the 33.65mm fits the 60's neck? Or is it not that simple? I guess I may have to break out the ruler. Thought one of you may have used them before.

Did you decide to get one? If so, how was the install?

Archived