Gibson Brands Forums

Cheap Gibsons

Dallastx

Gibson's are Great! It's really just a matter of finding the particular one,

YOU like, regardless of price! [tongue]

The only real difference, I've found, in lesser expensive Gibson's, and the more

expensive, is "Bling," and/or finish. Sound and playability are (most often)

excellent, across the board. There will always be those that like to bash

someone's choice. I wouldn't worry about it. If YOU like/love it, that's all

that counts. [thumbup]

CB

Was it Lincoln who said something about pleasing all the people all the time? It probably won't happen. Make yourself happy...who cares what someone else thinks.

I've been through this with cars, motorcycles, you name it. It's the syndrome of "What I have is priceless and what you have is worthless."

Go your own way...

Other than inlay and neck binding and pick up choices, they all seem to be made of very high quality woods. I do not think $1300.00 bucks is a low budget myself and I have never paid that much for a guitar. I saw a guy once who had a Gibson Les Paul case in his hand. He had long hair and all that jazz and he really looked like the type that could rip one off on a guitar. I asked him what year is your les paul, his reply was "It is a Greco, I think gibsons suck and they cost too much" I took offense at that. I told him "you get what you pay for" and left because I was getting ticked off. What the heck was he thinking with that import fake P.O.S. les paul? His problem is he does not know a good axe from a "CHEAP" one!!! Stupid jerk!!!!! Tim

I was jamming recently with some friends and a few acquaintances walked in while we were rehearsing,

and one guy said "Wait, is that a Gibson?"

I replied "Yeah, I just picked it up this January",

he responded "The tone is really nice",

I said to him "I know, it's a Gibson SG..."

Ha, he was blown away. Apparently he's only ever heard Epiphone versions, which to be honest aren't that bad either. It's always funny when people have preconceived notions about certain things, especially when they themselves haven't had an extensive amount of experience.

On a similar topic,

I saw a band play recently and the guitarist was playing a SG Special, very nice and cosmetically in great condition. His tone was awful, however I think it had everything to do with his infinite pedal chain and amplifier choice.

I feel like also, people hear s h i t and run with it.

Keep playing!

Why give a crap what others think of your guitar? What do YOU think of your guitar? SG's are only cheaper in price, and only because they use less materials, and do not have hollow bodies or carved tops. They are in every way worthy to wear the Gibson name. Even the truly cheap SG Special Faded is a great axe, and is hard to beat for the money. It is a lot of guitar for $700 [wink] And the SG Standard is an incredible deal, considering that an American Standard series Fender will run around $1000. Enjoy your guitar and stop worrying about what everyone else thinks!

You have a very interesting collection there Diamondjig. May I ask what you don't like about the baked maple?

I purchased my SGMM when they first came out, it's one of the first models to have a BM board, I said from the very first that I like it, very stable and smooth and playable. I was just being sarcastic, guess I should have put a wink in there

I gave 450 for my cheap SG. I love the guitar and the fact that it was cheap makes my love it even more. What I get tired of hearing are the niwits that keep telling me "Gibsons are fine of you have $5000 to toss at a new guitar." I have 6 Gibson at the moment and I didn't spend $5000 on all of them combined.

SG's arent eveyone's cup of tea and some players who don't give them a chance may not grasp their unique way of packing alot of punch in a small body... Then there is the camp that chides the neck balance. I wouldn't worry about other opinions as SG's work well for so many players because of their unique attributes.

Love SG's! There are plenty of them, that are well balanced (I own one),

and besides, a good strap will counter that. Love the look, weight, and

Upper fret access! [thumbup][biggrin]

And, "Cheap," is relative...and, I'm not talking Aunts, Uncles, or cousin's

here...though, some can be just that, as well. [flapper]

CB

I bought my first SG a little earlier this year. After trolling the interwebz for years, I was very pleasantly surprised to find mine did not have neck dive that I could discern at all. If you believe all the naysayers, they all dive like ccrazy and the headstock joint spontaneously self destructs.

I think I still prefer the tone of my LP's slightly, but the SG is so much lighter and easier to play and the (I mean this in the best possible way) slightly trashy edge to the sound when overdriven gives it it's own character. More like a biker chick where a LP is mroe like a prom queen to me.

The reason why I held off so long is I really didn't care for how thick the neck was on the standards in relation ot the body, but over the years I've gotten more and more to where I prefer a thick neck, I think, so the last time I picked one up, the neck still seemed to look thick for the body, but it felt right in my hand. So all is good now and with my back issues, the lighter weight is often welcome.

I bought my first SG a little earlier this year. After trolling the interwebz for years, I was very pleasantly surprised to find mine did not have neck dive that I could discern at all. If you believe all the naysayers, they all dive like crazy and the headstock joint spontaneously self destructs.........

That was part of the reason I passed over SG's for years.

...More like a biker chick where a LP is more like a prom queen to me

^^^

Maybe this is why I have fallen in love with my SG, I have a weak spot for trashy broads......[flapper]

Yes, I can't believe I waited so long to get an SG as well. I just got one a little over two years ago, and I can't believe I waited so long! I really LOVE my Special Faded... No neck dive, light as a feather, great tone from the 490's, and I even love the "faded" look of the wood - the feel of the back of that neck is to die for!

SG_DSCN3718_Nikonpb.jpg

SG_nickelcovers_DSCN2962PB-1.jpg

SG_nickelcovers_DSCN2960PB.jpg

I love even my cheapest Gibson (my early 80s Sonex), paid only $200 and not too pretty to look at unless you like rust, but with ancient Seymour Duncan Invader and Dimarzio Super Distortion pickups in there she still sounds awesome!

thank you!!g.gif

That was part of the reason I passed over SG's for years.

^^^

Maybe this is why I have fallen in love with my SG, I have a weak spot for trashy broads......[flapper]

haha, cheers.

and nice pics telechamp

• 1 month later...

Yes, I can't believe I waited so long to get an SG as well. I just got one a little over two years ago, and I can't believe I waited so long! I really LOVE my Special Faded... No neck dive, light as a feather, great tone from the 490's, and I even love the "faded" look of the wood - the feel of the back of that neck is to die for!

SG_DSCN3718_Nikonpb.jpg

SG_nickelcovers_DSCN2962PB-1.jpg

SG_nickelcovers_DSCN2960PB.jpg

it's awsome man! and it looks even greater with those pickup covers!

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Archived