Gibson Brands Forums

My Second DIY Pedal Build

bluesguitar65

Well, this one was much easier to build than my first one, Persuader Tube Drive. This is the Rattler, a fuzz face kinda clone. It uses two 2N3906 silicon transistors. Are those pretty good for fuzz tones? Will post a youtube soon.

Whatcha Think?

img0351q.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2012-03-15

img0349va.jpg

img0348vu.jpg

You are going to get hooked on pedal building! Once you know the basics, they are pretty easy, just time consuming. Like Dub said on the other kit, I'd mod this one as well for an LED. Not sure why they dont charge the extra $1.00 to add the parts to the kit. You could also add a 9v DC jack as well to avoid using a battery (unless I missed it in the pic).

I'm hopefully oredring parts to build a ZVEX Super Hard On type pedal this weekend. I may even order extras, and sell the additional pedals.

Once again, great job. This one looks clean!

As for the transistors, do they sound good to you? You can use a socket and try different ones out. Silicon transistors like that are super cheap so you can just get a bunch and swap them around. BC108s are a classic for a silicon Fuzz Face.

JDKustoms reminded me.. I highly recommend you build a Zvex Super Hard On clone! They're really simple and easy to build and they sound awesome.

The point to point on this one looks much easier than the last. Have you found that your ability to read schematics has improved a lot? It something was to go wrong with either of the 2 pedals would you now be able to troubleshoot it?

BC108s are silicon, but yes!

You'll probably ruin these transistors in the process though. If you have any solder wick or a desoldering pump just remove as much of the solder that's holding the trannies in as you can then just heat up the joint with your iron and use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull out one leg at a time.

If you want to use germaniums, you'll have to change a couple of the resistors to rebias them.

Archived