Gibson Brands Forums

INTRODUCE YOURSELF

ksdaddy

Howdy, I'm Dave and I've played guitar since 1969. I just bought a J-45 standard and love it.

I'm really not much of a player. You'd think I'd gotten better by now, But I still love playing and trying to learn.

Many of us are right there with you Dave, and its a blast! Welcome to the Gibson forums.!

Howdy Folks, I'm Dave from Central Ohio.

Just got my first Gibson Acoustic, my second Gibson ever.

I once bought a Corvus III from a pawn shop, sold it tripling my $$$ about 10 years later.

I now have a 2011 J-45 Standard and it will never leave my possession. What a wonderful guitar. I've never had quite a fine guitar, and what I once considered my "better" stuff now sounds pale.

Anyway, saying hi...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been visiting this board for almost 3 years now. It all started with a J45...

Now I don’t know if I have to thank you guys for all the good things I’ve learned about Gibson Acoustics, or hate you because you gave me such GAS so many times ;)

Anyway, I’m glad to officially join the forum !

Dennis.

Just ordered this baby so I thought I'd drop in and say hi. Normally on the Lounge or Les Paul.

Anyone know what the string pins are made of out of the factory? Should I upgrade them?

13293015-angle-large_zps58d1287e.jpg

Hey LPg, welcome aboard. Great choice...Songwriter with a cutaway and some bling! Yeah, some folks don't like the cheap looking molded plastic bridge pins. Few humans can detect a difference in tone between pin material unless you're going from a QTip to a bronze pin, but many opt for bone. Many sites and sources. I replaced the plastic pins on my 2 Gibsons with bone with alabaster inlays from Bob Colosi at guitarsaddles.com for a decent price. G'luck.

Hey Dennis, if you've been around for 3 years and this your first post, you must be a shy guy. Welcome aboard, got any pics of that 45? You know by now we love seeing the darn things.

Thanks Dan,

Well you nailed it. I'm a modest cowboy chords player, so [blush] ...

But I think it's about time for me to bring my humble contribution to this forum

You can check out my new thread to see the 45s ;)

Cheers.

Howdy, I'm Jim from Southern Ontario. I've been playing guitar since about 1960, got my first Gibson, a '58 J50 (my profile pic). I had to sell it to my brother in 1969 when I ran into some financial difficulties. Luckily, I still get to play it when I visit. I'm afraid I'm not a loyal Gibson owner. I also have Goya, Martin and Gretsch guitars, but right now, an 1950 LG1 is my "go to" guitar.

I'm in New England and I've been a Gibson owner for about 48 hours. Just acquired a 12 Fret SJ 200 Custom Shop guitar and I'm in total awe of this thing. I've had my other acoustic guitar (an Ovation elite) for exactly 30 years, and thought was and is a great one. But this SJ just has a more special tone that I really can't explain. And the build quality details...whoa. Flamed maple....whoa.

So, nice to join the club.

Here's a video of it when I first got it home :)

Hello everyone,

I'm a bluegrass picker from KY, go figure! Play a 1992 Gibson Advanced Jumbo custom Ren Ferguson model. Would be interested in knowing the history of my guitar if anyone can help. The serial # is 90522023.

Thanks,

Lester

Hey, Lester, welcome to the forum.

You'll want to repost this in the Acoustic forum where the acoustic guys hang out. There are plenty of really knowledgeable folks there to help you.

And if you can, please post pictures (and a sound bite?). I'd love to see what that guitar is all about.

FMA

Hi there I'm new to the forum.

Been playing 20+ years and in bands since the start. Had many electrics including my current favourite - American 52 Reissue Telecaster. Finally got round to getting a nice acoustic after many (happy) years with a Yamaha dreadnought (incidentally, I've kept the Yam for my son).

I picked up a great Gibson J45 Standard last week and am in love.

The sunburst is gorgeous, plays like a dream and the sound - voice of a (honky tonk) angel.

So happy I've found this one. It's a keeper.

Loving the info on the forum, lots of useful stuff.

Dave

Hi all. I'm an American living in the UK, and I'm a new member here. Also, I'm a (relatively) new Gibson acoustic owner. I picked up an LG-2 Americana in late 2013, and have been gigging with it ever since. Lovely little guitar. I now have my eye on a J-15, to replace my soon-to-be-sold D-35. I should be set then. :)

HI guys, my name is Kathryn Mallory-Ramos, I am 17 years old and live in Southern California. What brought me here was that my dad was very involved with music. I know he used to make guitars and they were his life. He had a Gibson J-200 Acoustic with a Marshall guitar amp and the guitar itself is gorgeous. He made so much music with that guitar and he was a big influence in my life. He passed away of stage 4 stomach cancer on Feb 4, 2013 and I was devastated. My brother now has his guitar but does not play it. Im not exactly sure of where im going with this post. I dont know haha I just hope to one day learn guitar and follow in his steps, which i already plan on doing. So I guess this is it (:

HI guys, my name is Kathryn Mallory-Ramos, I am 17 years old and live in Southern California. What brought me here was that my dad was very involved with music. I know he used to make guitars and they were his life. He had a Gibson J-200 Acoustic with a Marshall guitar amp and the guitar itself is gorgeous. He made so much music with that guitar and he was a big influence in my life. He passed away of stage 4 stomach cancer on Feb 4, 2013 and I was devastated. My brother now has his guitar but does not play it. Im not exactly sure of where im going with this post. I dont know haha I just hope to one day learn guitar and follow in his steps, which i already plan on doing. So I guess this is it (:

Hi Kathryn (from another newbie). I'm sorry about your father. Learning to play that J-200 sounds like a great idea.

You need to learn to play, on that magical J-200. Will be a good thing. Hope to follow your progress here, welcome.

Howdy fellow pickers, been getting back into acoustic guitars. Recently acquired a used L00 Legend and love the big V neck, small body, vintage burst and great tone. I used to have a late 60's J45 "pencil neck" with a 1 9/16" neck at the nut, back in the early 70's... Drove me crazy trying to fit my fingers between the strings, so moved on and and after alot of various guitars am finally back to a Gibson (with a nice fat neck),. Mainly flatpick old time jazz and swing standards. Seen a few threads I'd like to chiime in on, so took the plunge. :)

Swang on,

Howdy fellow pickers, been getting back into acoustic guitars. Recently acquired a used L00 Legend and love the big V neck, small body, vintage burst and great tone. I used to have a late 60's J45 "pencil neck" with a 1 9/16" neck at the nut, back in the early 60's. Drove me crazy trying to fit my fingers between the strings, so moved on and and after alot of various guitars am finally back to a Gibson (with a nice fat neck),. Mainly flatpick old time jazz and swing standards. Seen a few threads I'd like to chiime in on, so took the plunge. :)

Swang on,

Nice to have you here Stefano - sounds like you have been smitten by a Legend - Nice to hear another ringing endorsement.

You're a wonderful age to begin learning guitar. I started taking lessons about a year ago and have learned a lot. It's become a wonderful hobby and I've collected some really nice guitars in the process. It's a wonderful goal and it would be a great way to honor your dad.