Gibson Brands Forums

INTRODUCE YOURSELF

ksdaddy

Hey guys,

Long time Gibson electric player. Got this one used at GC and cleaned her up a bit. Plays very nice. It's an 04' L4-A with maple back and sides (I believe). I have played a Martin 000 series since 1997 so it's a nice change. Also, any thoughts/feedback on these L4-A's???

Jam on!

image-vi.jpg

Hi guys I'm totally new to this chat and need some professional advice I just bought a Gibson acoustic 1963 C2 c-2 can anyone help me tell from the pictures if I bought the real deal and has anyone this or a similar model please? Any help is appreciated thanks jess

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello. I got my first Gibson in 1968 or 69. I don't know the model. It might have been an LG 2 or 3. Small body, cross braced, mahogany back and sides and spruce front. It had a narrow rectangular bridge and no varnish. Someone had sanded the front down 2 or 3 mill in places and I know now that it needed a neck reset. Years later I sold it and ended up with a Martin 00028. I sold that too later. I miss that Gibson more than the Martin. I now have two LG0s, both originally had plastic bridges. The first one had the bridge replaced with a rosewood bridge and the second one got a complete new spruce front. Thats the one I play most today. Also have a single pickup SG melody maker that had been converted to left hand and then back again. You might have guessed that I'm not all that bothered with original condition. I do like to play them.

Cheers

Stan.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, my name is Skip and I'm from South Texas.

I'm a registered pawnshop hound. I have OCD when it comes to my daily routine.

It's sales calls, pawnshop,sales calls, pawnshop,lunch, sales calls, pawnshop,sales calls, pawnshop, end of day!

I've built up at least more than 1/2 of my collection from buying guitars from pawnshops.

My short term goal is to relentlessly purse,find, and rescue as many vintage guitars from pawnshops

as I can before I retire. I think I've done an amazing job of doing this the last 7 yrs.

My pawnshops scores in the last 2 weeks were AMAZING.

Here they are in order of purchase:

1963 Gibson ES-330 w/ Stock factory Bigsby and original case

1978 Gibson Gospel w/ original case

1971 Gibson SG Deluxe w/ factory Bigsby and original case

1965 Gibson LG-0 (picked this up yesterday)

Any way here's pics of my only 2 Gibson Acoustics I own.

20708591012_c1d3b14f81_b.jpg

20750086349_92d5f19f92_b.jpg

Hello, my name is Skip and I'm from South Texas.

I'm a registered pawnshop hound. I have OCD when it comes to my daily routine.

My pawnshops scores in the last 2 weeks were AMAZING.

Here they are in order of purchase:

1963 Gibson ES-330 w/ Stock factory Bigsby and original case

1978 Gibson Gospel w/ original case

1971 Gibson SG Deluxe w/ factory Bigsby and original case

1965 Gibson LG-0 (picked this up yesterday)

Any way here's pics of my only 2 Gibson Acoustics I own.

20708591012_c1d3b14f81_b.jpg

20750086349_92d5f19f92_b.jpg

SKIP -I like your hobby !

• 3 weeks later...

I don't often remember to check this folder, but wow that's some serious pawnshop hunting!

Have your deals been steals? Man, a '71 SG Deluxe!!

The majority of them are steals. Most of the guitars I get are at least 50-60% off the going used rate.

My biggest guitar & bass steals in the last 7 yrs. :

$64.64 - '74 Fender Jazz Bass

$180 - '79 Fender Black P-Bass

$180 - '78 Hamer Black Sunburst

$270 - '05 Taylor 515-CE Jumbo Custom

$207 - '96 Larrivee D-05 acoustic

$180 - '98 Parker USA Nitefly

Honorable mentions:

$1075 - '89 Gibson Heritage Cherry Sunburst LP Standard

$625 - '00 Gibson Midnight Burst SG Supreme Custom

$825 - '08 Gibson Vintage Sunburst LP Standard Plus

$1000 - '71 Gibson Cherry SG Deluxe

$2400 - '63 Gibson Cherry ES-330 w/ stock Bigsby

$277 - '65 Gibson LG-0 acoustic

$500 - '11 Fender Blonde 60th Annv. Tele

$600 - '79 Fender Blonde P-Bass

$500 - '75 Fender Mocha Stratocaster

$750 - '77 Gibson Wine LP Deluxe

$250 - '97 Alvarez Yairi DY-40 acoustic

$250 - '01 Takamine CD-132SC Classical/Electric w/DSP

$315 - '89 Fender Metallic Silver Jazz Bass

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum for the second time. I belonged a few years ago, but kinda dropped off the map when life got in the way. I'm retired now (South Florida) and have much more time for my hobbies.

I don't really think of myself as a guitar player- I own a couple of really nice guitars and enjoy making them squawk. Have not made any changes to them- maybe new saddles and pins sometime in the future.

I enjoy readings the comments of others and particularly enjoy the performance clips. Glad to be back.

OmpDog

My first Gibson acoustic. I Have a couple of electric Gibbys and now I've finally got a real acoustic. I pulled the trigger on a Songwriter custom. The rosewood back and sides give it such a warm but crisp tone. I have only had it a week but it's turning into my go-to guitar.

Songwriter.jpgSongwriter%202.jpg12108162_10153539831335289_7793031746746367132_n.jpgSongwriter%204.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I wanted to leave a quick note about myself. I'm a guitar hobbyist from NorCal living in the bay area. I own a Les Paul Studio and have always loved the Gibson brand ever since my father and I sat by the record player practicing along with lessons on an old 45 with our acoustics. Now I'm middle aged and have started again, taking beginner group lessons along with my daughter. I'm interested in the tones and construction of older guitars.

Best

Ryon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello AGAIN, from Salem, Massachusetts,

In the past year, I've twice started to become active on this forum, which I enjoy immensely. Each time, my participation has been thwarted by health issues.

After my last post, back in June of this year, the cancer I had been fighting off for a long time re-emerged, resulting in more surgeries, hospital stays, etc. Tomorrow I am entering my eighth, and final week of radiation treatments, and am hoping to finally enjoy a peaceful recovery with lots of acoustic music. I have not played much guitar these last few months, but I will be changing my routines shortly. I am awaiting delivery of another custom shop J-45 from Wildwood Guitars (I'll post some pics), and I should receive it by this coming Thursday. Nothing can match the healing power of music in one's life.

Regards to all, David

Hello AGAIN, from Salem, Massachusetts,

In the past year, I've twice started to become active on this forum, which I enjoy immensely. Each time, my participation has been thwarted by health issues.

After my last post, back in June of this year, the cancer I had been fighting off for a long time re-emerged, resulting in more surgeries, hospital stays, etc. Tomorrow I am entering my eighth, and final week of radiation treatments, and am hoping to finally enjoy a peaceful recovery with lots of acoustic music. I have not played much guitar these last few months, but I will be changing my routines shortly. I am awaiting delivery of another custom shop J-45 from Wildwood Guitars (I'll post some pics), and I should receive it by this coming Thursday. Nothing can match the healing power of music in one's life.

Regards to all, David

Hello David and Steve - Hope you find out some good stuff here and are able to share. California ! Just saying that word at this time of year makes me feel warm. David -all the best in your quest to stay a few steps ahead of that big black dog - a new J-45 Custom sounds like a great prescription for recovery !