Gibson Brands Forums

INTRODUCE YOURSELF

ksdaddy

On 7/6/2020 at 7:43 PM, Curt12355 said:

Hello everyone, my name is Walter Moore live in North Carolina I work on and restore guitars I am a retired wood worker.

Getting into guitars and playing pool, snooker and billiards a bit later in life has been a catalyst for another new interest: wood. You'll find some very interesting discussions about the properties of different tonewoods on here, Walter.

On 7/18/2020 at 11:36 PM, TomG76 said:

Getting into guitars and playing pool, snooker and billiards a bit later in life has been a catalyst for another new interest: wood. You'll find some very interesting discussions about the properties of different tonewoods on here, Walter.

Hi Walter - welcome to the forest of tonewoods and much much more. . 
After 15 posts of which 2 must hit bulls eye you will be regarded as one of Robin Hood's merry brave men. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, great to shoot the bull with my fellow musicians,  I am an older country boy (SC) and music has been my passion most of my life. I am 61 and been playing since about 13 or so.   I recently had two years where I could not play at all and only after a year of PT was I able to make a fist (Ruptured tendons on my middle and ring fingers and a tendon harvested from my pointer to repair everything) and start using my fingers once again.  I am at about 60% of where i use to be and getting my fret hand back little by little. I am so very grateful and happy to be able to play again. While I may not ever be able to play like I used to but I can still do it and getting stronger and better every day. I just wanted to say hi. Most of my experience has been in electrics but the down time  and playing alone has made me an acoustic fan too. I look forward to many fun conversations with any and all.

7 hours ago, 12MoreGuitars said:

Hi everyone, great to shoot the bull with my fellow musicians,  I am an older country boy (SC) and music has been my passion most of my life. I am 61 and been playing since about 13 or so.   I recently had two years where I could not play at all and only after a year of PT was I able to make a fist (Ruptured tendons on my middle and ring fingers and a tendon harvested from my pointer to repair everything) and start using my fingers once again.  I am at about 60% of where i use to be and getting my fret hand back little by little. I am so very grateful and happy to be able to play again. While I may not ever be able to play like I used to but I can still do it and getting stronger and better every day. I just wanted to say hi. Most of my experience has been in electrics but the down time  and playing alone has made me an acoustic fan too. I look forward to many fun conversations with any and all.

Great to hear you're back in the saddle and enjoy the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, greetings from Ireland. Am the proud owner of a 2013 Gibson Advanced Jumbo Red Spruce (bought as new old stock in Dublin in 2018). Super guitar and a real keeper. Have loved Gibson acoustics since I was in college and it really is magical. They really do live up to the hype! Kevin

• Like 2

Just wanted to say I have a '42  j45 my father bought new after his stay in the army, also a ,47 j45 my mother purchased new when she married dad.  The 42 does not have the banner (early 42 models did not have it), also neither have fon #.  I just had both guitars to Lay's in Akron ,oh (used to have Gibson factory warranty repair contract) for some braces re-glued. Seems there is a bacteria that eats hyde glue . Have also a '78 j50 dad bought new. These guitars R all in great shape but the 42 sounds so much richer in tone.  Probably going to sell all three as one lot soon as I get time to take and post pictures --- thanks for reading

• 1 month later...

I have been on the forum for a few years, mostly posted in the Epiphone section.  I have a couple Masterbilts I am fond of.  I have an old beat up J40 from about 1972 and a brand new J45 studio.   And several other good playing acoustics a Martin, a Taylor and a Seagull M6 among them.

I play mostly in Church and up until this year played a monthly nursing home gig.  I'm a hack player but have a good time with it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

From one southerner to another, howdy @12MoreGuitars

Figured this might be a good place for a first time guitar player to make friends and learn about the instrument. Picked up a Hummingbird last week...can't wait to build calluses and stop hitting other strings so that beautiful tone can ring out properly, but when it does it sure it is heavenly!

Hey buddy, thats a sweet acquisition for a first guitar. Mine was an Alvarez from about 75. A dread. Can't  recall the model but it was rosewood and had a hand inlay made with coloured wood chips. It was a great beginner. My local music store took 40 bucks a week for 3 weeks the the balance of about 25 bucks. You didn't say anything about the year of the hummingbird but congratulations,the year doesn't matter. That you dig it says everything. I must say it wasn't long before I  got an electric because of the finger thing. It seemed to work. Its so hard to learn and deal with that at same time. It was like back and forth for  while cause my fingers hurt. I have 2 acoustics now and love acoustic guitars. Congrats and welcome.

Edited by 12MoreGuitars
Spelling error

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2020 at 2:02 PM, 12MoreGuitars said:

Hey buddy, thats a sweet acquisition for a first guitar. Mine was an Alvarez from about 75. A dread. Can't  recall the model but it was rosewood and had a hand inlay made with coloured wood chips. It was a great beginner. My local music store took 40 bucks a week for 3 weeks the the balance of about 25 bucks. You didn't say anything about the year of the hummingbird but congratulations,the year doesn't matter. That you dig it says everything. I must say it wasn't long before I  got an electric because of the finger thing. It seemed to work. Its so hard to learn and deal with that at same time. It was like back and forth for  while cause my fingers hurt. I have 2 acoustics now and love acoustic guitars. Congrats and welcome.

Alvarez makes some beautiful guitars! There's something about the low gloss finishes that's very vintage yet modern. Initially it was a 2019 standard, however I just exchanged it for one with the aged top from the same year - the mellow tone and more subtle finish were the major reasons.

On 11/22/2020 at 6:41 PM, Modbird said:

Hi, Tedd from MN. Much like Drew from CO I recently purchased a Hummingbird M however mine is a mahogany model with a light cherryburst top. This is my first Gibson and I'm lovin'it.

On 11/13/2020 at 8:45 PM, ParkerCO said:

Here's a pic of my new Hummingbird.  Been fun getting acquainted!

Drew from Colorado.

Those are both some beauties @Modbird and @ParkerCO. I didn't know hummingbirds are also produced with a cutout, must make it a lot easier getting the  higher frets. 

• 1 month later...

Hi - I’m Bart Young. I’m currently a Florida resident having moved here in May 2020 from Oklahoma. I’m primarily a Red Dirt/Texas Country guy at the moment but have been into many types of music in my life. I just acquired a J-15 and loving it, but I’m primarily a tele player. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All-

those above Gibsons look great! Until recently I owned a nylon string classical Gibson. For something different I went with a g45 Studio. I’ve always viewed Gibsons acoustics as being high quality. 

stay warm and keep strumming!!

~Zac in NH

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all! My name is George and I live in NC. I came across a Facebook Marketplace listing for an "OLD" Gibson acoustic. It's pretty well used (to say the least) and I'm having trouble making out the serial number on the back of the head stock. I also don't know a whole lot about Gibson acoustics other than I've come to love their sound. 

Is there a particular thread where I might share some of the pics of this guitar to see if anyone may have some insight into the model or approximate age of the guitar, and perhaps most importantly, help determine if it is in fact a Gibson?

Thanks for any and all help.

On 2/3/2021 at 2:27 PM, George R said:

Hello all! My name is George and I live in NC. I came across a Facebook Marketplace listing for an "OLD" Gibson acoustic. It's pretty well used (to say the least) and I'm having trouble making out the serial number on the back of the head stock. I also don't know a whole lot about Gibson acoustics other than I've come to love their sound. 

Is there a particular thread where I might share some of the pics of this guitar to see if anyone may have some insight into the model or approximate age of the guitar, and perhaps most importantly, help determine if it is in fact a Gibson?

Thanks for any and all help.

GeorgeR,  you should have good luck if you post your query as a separate question on this, the Gibson Acoustic thread.  Photos help.  Of course, if it is in someone else's possession, you may not have access.  "Old" is a relative concept.  First question would be if the seller is the original owner. G'Luck, and Welcome ! 

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy, 

Ive been playing for about 20 years and only recently picked up my first Gibsons. I had always played strats but got the itch for a  Les Paul which turned out to be a revelation.  I was so happy with it I decided to pick up a Southern Jumbo as well. I ordered the SJ sight unseen, but was pleasantly surprised as it’s the finest sounding guitar I’ve ever played. Needless to say I’ve quickly become a Gibson fan boy. Looking forward to talking guitars with y’all. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I’m Brian from Calgary AB, Canada.

New here. Just awaiting a special order from Bozeman of a Gibson Chroma Songwriter Black Cherry (Now Discontinued).

Order was placed November last year but at the time due to covid etc they were backed up with about 4000 orders.

Though I did have confirmation from both Gibson USA & Gibson Canada reps at the time that it would be made, though it would take time. Latest ETA is end of this month roughly which would make it first to head office of the music store I deal with. Estimation should arrive for me here mid April. Definitely looking forward to this!

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the old-timers know me, the newer members do not.   I thought this recording of a TV show best introduces me to people.  I've been a Gibson Acoustic owner since about 1973/1974.  I rarely play out anymore, but I do make a lot of recordings I post on YouTube for my grandsons.  I want them to be able to relate the equipment they'll inherit back to their grandpa, (they're WAY too young to know what's going on now).

• Like 1