Gibson Brands Forums

INTRODUCE YOURSELF

ksdaddy

Hi from Kentucky.

I learned on my dad's '58 Southern Jumbo at 12 and then moved to drums at 16 and then to bass for a short while and then on to lead guitar. Now I'm in my 50's and I have quite a collection of telecasters and other electrics but always wanted another Southern Jumbo. I just found a '91 Banner RW Southern Jumbo for a good price so I finally got one of my own. I also have a Les Paul that I like to play as well. Looking forward to learning about Gibsons.

• 2 weeks later...

HEY EVERYONE,From Maryland ,started on drums and have been playing guitar for 15years or so..I play a 2011 GLP studio Worn Brown,Washburn 333 also a fender american special tele,through a fender blues jr..thinking about sellin blues jr (even know i love the dam thing and getting a Marshall dsl 15.,I,m not sure though going to have to play one..

HEY EVERYONE,From Maryland ,started on drums and have been playing guitar for 15years or so..I play a 2011 GLP studio Worn Brown,Washburn 333 also a fender american special tele,through a fender blues jr..thinking about sellin blues jr (even know i love the dam thing and getting a Marshall dsl 15.,I,m not sure though going to have to play one..

Welcome to the forum! I'm not much of an electric player (I never got used to hearing my mistakes that loud) but it looks like you've got a nice little collection there.

Hey friends.

Joined the Gibson forum a few years ago, but haven't posted yet! I've owned a Les Paul Faded Special Double Cut in TV Yellow for about 7 years, and it's my favourite electric guitar ever. Came back to this forum to have some discussions about Gibson acoustics, as I've been on the hunt for one for a few months, but haven't quite found THE one yet. Interested in a vintage Southern Jumbo, J-45, or J-50. See you over there.

C

Hello, my name is Norman from Tomball, Tx. I have a Les Paul Studio bought around 1984 and from which I have received much joy and a 1992 Gibson EAS Classic that I just purchased over the weekend. It has a different sound that caught me ear and plays quite easily. I'm looking forward to chatting with you about our shared passion. I'll include pictures later as time is a bit scarce at the moment.

Thanks

Hi!

I'm Brian from Columbia, South Carolina. I've actually been lurking, and learning, for a year. My two babies are a J45 Standard, and ES335 Dot with a tri-burst. I was fortunate to get them last year, but I'm already wanting a small body acoustic and a Les Paul. Of course, my time here doesn't help! Thank you for all of the great info, and entertaining posts!

Hey! John from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada here. Haven't been on here in a while, but hopefully will be more in the future. Currently an acoustic only player, campfire session, late night marathoner and string breaker. Current guitars are a Larrivee D02, a Taylor Big Baby, and an early Sigma that my old man bought me for my 11th birthday (20 + years ago). Hopefully adding a 2013 J35 to that list by the end of tomorrow.

Well I've been posting here for a couple of weeks, so it's time to introduce myself. My real name Mark Stone, have played in the great Southwest (southern Arizona and far west Texas) for 40+ years. I play a style of music I don't know how to describe - folk, "American Primitive", bluegrass, etc. I rank my playing ability as Adequate. My favorite brand of guitar is (don't laugh at me) Epiphone, especially the new Indonesian models made by Samick - With the balance of playability, cost, quality, etc. they get the nod. But my favorite single guitar is my Gibson Hummingbird Pro that I got about a week ago and is just amazing (which is why I'm lurking around in the Gibson Acoustic forum lol). If Gibby's were not so expensive, they would be my favorite brand lol . . . In the past I've owned a Gibson B25 and J50, but the J50 was a Norlin so it may not count. I have also owned a guitar from nearly every make - the advantage of being 60 years of age. But I'm very happy with Gibson and especially Epiphone. My two current guitars? I could buy 5 of the Epiphones for every one of my hummingbirds - but I'm going to keep these two for the remaining 300 years of my life.

Well I've been posting here for a couple of weeks, so it's time to introduce myself. My real name Mark Stone, have played in the great Southwest (southern Arizona and far west Texas) for 40+ years. I play a style of music I don't know how to describe - folk, "American Primitive", bluegrass, etc. I rank my playing ability as Adequate. My favorite brand of guitar is (don't laugh at me) Epiphone, especially the new Indonesian models made by Samick - With the balance of playability, cost, quality, etc. they get the nod. But my favorite single guitar is my Gibson Hummingbird Pro that I got about a week ago and is just amazing (which is why I'm lurking around in the Gibson Acoustic forum lol). If Gibby's were not so expensive, they would be my favorite brand lol . . . In the past I've owned a Gibson B25 and J50, but the J50 was a Norlin so it may not count. I have also owned a guitar from nearly every make - the advantage of being 60 years of age. But I'm very happy with Gibson and especially Epiphone. My two current guitars? I could buy 5 of the Epiphones for every one of my hummingbirds - but I'm going to keep these two for the remaining 300 years of my life.

Agree - Indonesian and even some chinese Epiphones made recently JUST ROCK! For the price.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there!

Given that this is an "introduce yourself" thread, I thought I'd do just that.

I'm a classically trained tuba player (yes, for real) who hasn't played tuba seriously in many, many years. After several years of "boom-chicking" on bluegrass tunes with friends every now and again, I thought I'd seriously give playing guitar a go. After 8 months of consistent progress (progress, not perfection y'all!), I only enjoy playing more and more each day: mainly bluegrass, but recently fingerstyle/delta blues and some modal improvisation. Right now I play on an 12 year old Ibanez with a large crack running immediately parallel to the fingerboard from the sound hole to the binding. (The guitar was not well taken care of during it's early life.) It sounds fine and helps me learn.

I will say, however, that I have a serious want for a J-45 that I recently played at Music Villa while I was in Bozeman for an job interview (after the homecoming). Now, I played a J-45 at a Guitar Center in Fort Collins that I thought was IT until I played this beast (a new J-45 with an adirondack spruce top). Woah. I must have it but it's out of my price range for now.

Anyway, I'm new here, relatively new to serious guitar playing, and like many, have a want for a new guitar.

• Upvote 1

Hello High Plains! At the homecoming in Bozeman I played a J-45 TV off the wall at Music Villa. If I didn't already own one, that guitar would have followed me home. Keep up the playing (its a hoot!) and save yer nickels - there's plenty of nice J-45s still being built, perhaps one will have your name on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Seattle and approaching 50. I had a takamine I got in 1980 until two years ago I bought a Martin D28, but was always intrigued by Gibson's and two months ago I traded in the takamine and got a j45 custom with the fleur de lis. I just love that guitar, but I love the Martin too. I'm not good, but I'm good enough to enjoy myself and my kids don't yell at me for practicing anymore. My proudest achievement was playing "mood for a day" by Yes enough to recognize the tune, now I'm learning fingerprinting blues and the j45 custom is great for it.

• 2 weeks later...

My name is Craig. I live in Halifax, NS Canada. I play mostly country, country gospel and bluegrassy-primitive. Hoping to start learning fingerpicking blues.

I have two Gibson acoustics, a 1937 HG-00 and a 1937 Type-3 ukulele.

I love the uke, which I got at a fraction of retail through a classified ad a few years back. Pulled the trigger without seeing it! It turned out to be one of the less-desirable spruce-topped ones, but it still sounds terrific.

The HG-00 is the sort of guitar I have always wanted and I don't mind saying I paid more or less full retail for it just a couple weeks ago. It has been beautifully repaired and sounds fantastic. My uncle had an old Gibson he never let me play even once, so I have always coveted these guitars.

I have enjoyed lurking on this forum and seeing other people's fascination with these instruments. Now that I have the HG, I figured it would be fun to join!

1016520_10151733441895070_299571369_n_zps84292a25.jpg

Hey! John from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada here. Haven't been on here in a while, but hopefully will be more in the future. Currently an acoustic only player, campfire session, late night marathoner and string breaker. Current guitars are a Larrivee D02, a Taylor Big Baby, and an early Sigma that my old man bought me for my 11th birthday (20 + years ago). Hopefully adding a 2013 J35 to that list by the end of tomorrow.

How did this pan out? Did yoj get the guitar?

• 2 weeks later...