Gibson Brands Forums

China Free

brannon67

I am finally China free my fellow guitar playing friends. All Gibson and one American made Martin HD28VS now. Yeah.

2 Gibson J45 Standards use one as an alternate tuning guitar

1 Gibson Hummingbird Pro

1 Gibson Songwriter Special

1 Martin HD28VS

Wanting a Blues King.

Well, it was my decision to sell my Masterbilts, and go all USA made. Just what I wanted to do. I have nothing against Masterbilts, or any other over seas made guitars(sometimes). This was just my personal decision to do this.

good for you brannon67, I have done the same recently, my masterbuilts were the last to go. they sounded good, but I sold them and bought a J-45 TV

Thanks, I thought about it for a while, and decided to do it. I decided I would never play my Gibsons like I want to, afraid of taking them out, so when I sold my Masterbilts, I had no choice but to take my Gibsons out and play them. I have no cruth anymore. So be it. They were meant to be played, so again, so be it. Problem solved, Ha. Now my Gibsons are going to get road worn like they should, and also my Martin HD28VS.

That's awesome man, and a great stable of acoustics at that. [thumbup]

I'm acoustically China free. I probably won't ever be electrically Mexican free because I like my deluxe players strat too much to replace, unless of course I find a butterscotch american made strat with a nice vintage yellow maple neck and fretboard. [love][biggrin]

I have been playing over 50 years and have never owned an offshore built acoustic. Just the way it worked out. And yeah, it does seem I have always owned old guitars. At first it was out of necessity as I could not afford new ones and later out of choice. At last count I own 7 acoustics with a collective age of over 465.

I am the first to admit though that it is illogical. I have played some killer acoustics built on foreign shores and love 1960s Made in Japan electrics. The more bizarro the better. So go figure.

I can see myself ending-up with a bunch of Gibsons and a couple Martins, but not in the foreseeable future. I play too many gigs in places where I won't risk taking my better guitars. Wet, cold weather, grade schools, some bars.. I won't take a high-dollar guitar outside where I know there's a chance of heavy rain, and I play a lot of outdoor gigs. Won't take a good guitar to some areas of town. Some imports are pretty decent guitars. Far more of them than used to be. In most cases they are considerably less money. I wish I could buy everything I need from workers in my own country. Likely the same as most everyone in here, but its just not practical for what I'm doing. For those who can do it, I think its pretty darn cool.

I can see myself ending-up with a bunch of Gibsons and a couple Martins, but not in the foreseeable future. I play too many gigs in places where I won't risk taking my better guitars. Wet, cold weather, grade schools, some bars.. I won't take a high-dollar guitar outside where I know there's a chance of heavy rain, and I play a lot of outdoor gigs. Won't take a good guitar to some areas of town. Some imports are pretty decent guitars. Far more of them than used to be. In most cases they are considerably less money. I wish I could buy everything I need from workers in my own country. Likely the same as most everyone in here, but its just not practical for what I'm doing. For those who can do it, I think its pretty darn cool.

I see what you mean Larry , I only play at home and I have two guitars in my house my SJ 200 TV and a Yamaha 720SL.

I have a hbird waiting patiently waiting in it's at my best friends house.

JC

I'm proud of you , Brother!! I'm down to one myself....

I am finally China free my fellow guitar playing friends. All Gibson and one American made Martin HD28VS now. Yeah.

2 Gibson J45 Standards use one as an alternate tuning guitar

1 Gibson Hummingbird Pro

1 Gibson Songwriter Special

1 Martin HD28VS

Wanting a Blues King.

I saw an article in one of the guitar mags recently of the 50 inexpensive electrics ...... can't remember the mag or the $ amount due to my CRS. 48 were built overseas (mostly Asia) and 1 from Canada and the Mex strat. Probably the same ratio for acoustic ..... a shame but it is a global economy. As for me, 5 Gibsons and a mex strat. I just like to buy USA 'cause I'm an old fart.

Without Chinese and other Pac-Rim instruments, many young people would never be able to take up the guitar or bass; domestic (USA) manufacturers make very few entry-level priced electric or acoustic (especially!) instruments. And despite their entry-level price tag, the quality can be excellent.

That said, it's great that Americans support Gibson and other large and small domestic guitar builders, to ensure their unique industry and artistry does not vanish from our shores or from our collective memory.

The same can be said about whatever domestic industry you have in whatever country you're from.

Red 333

Without Chinese and other Pac-Rim instruments, many young people would never be able to take up the guitar or bass; domestic (USA) manufacturers make very few entry-level priced electric or acoustic (especially!) instruments. And despite their entry-level price tag, the quality can be excellent.

That said, it's great that Americans support Gibson and other large and small domestic guitar builders, to ensure their unique industry and artistry does not vanish from our shores or from our collective memory.

The same can be said about whatever domestic industry you have in whatever country you're from.

Red 333

+1

I think the subject is far more complex than many believe - and if you are one of the Americans that don't like Chinese gear because...

it takes away from your own economy

it supports a corrupt world power

the workers are treated cruelly etc etc

...or any combination of the above -

then surely if you feel that strongly enough; then big American brands such as Fender and Gibson should also be boycotted - as they support all the above by having 'sub' companies (if that is the correct definition) that deal with China and make a lot of $$ from doing so.

Matt

Good discussion. As mentioned, it truly is a complex subject. Its not just "cut and dried" (and no one has said it is) that everyone is able to buy guitars made in their own country. There is no doubt (as stated above) that a huge number of young people would never be playing guitars if they had no options from Martin, Gibson, Breedlove, Taylor, etc. Aside from that, I don't believe the quality of more and more imports can be denied. Lots of bang for your buck with many of them. One day I'll likely have only (for me) American-made guitars. But the time is not now, for several reasons.

At the same time, I must say this. I've currently got almost $2600 set-aside for a guitar. By July I'll be pushing 4000. I won't be buying a high dollar Pacific Rim guitar (and there are some very good ones out there). I'll be buying a Gibson or a Martin HD35. However, whatever I buy after that is likely to be a $400-500 import...........Another point, both my mandolins are imports. I'm not anywhere near good enough on the mandolin to justify spending 2 grand on one. Of course, if I'm honest about it, I'm not anywhere near good enough to spend that on a guitar either...lol..... [confused]

Anyways, good thread.

Good discussion. As mentioned, it truly is a complex subject. Its not just "cut and dried" (and no one has said it is) that everyone is able to buy guitars made in their own country. There is no doubt (as stated above) that a huge number of young people would never be playing guitars if they had no options from Martin, Gibson, Breedlove, Taylor, etc. Aside from that, I don't believe the quality of more and more imports can be denied. Lots of bang for your buck with many of them. One day I'll likely have only (for me) American-made guitars. But the time is not now, for several reasons.

At the same time, I must say this. I've currently got almost $2600 set-aside for a guitar. By July I'll be pushing 4000. I won't be buying a high dollar Pacific Rim guitar (and there are some very good ones out there). I'll be buying a Gibson or a Martin HD35. However, whatever I buy after that is likely to be a $400-500 import...........Another point, both my mandolins are imports. I'm not anywhere near good enough on the mandolin to justify spending 2 grand on one. Of course, if I'm honest about it, I'm not anywhere near good enough to spend that on a guitar either...lol..... [confused]

Anyways, good thread.

You sir; are a gentleman [thumbup]

Archived