Gibson Brands Forums

Got a new toy today

bonzoboy

Today I dropped into our only pawnshop and among the piles of worn out El Cheapo Strat copies was a display case full of pedals but what caught my eye right away was a mint condition Danelectro "lawsuit" Transparent Overdrive.The first run of these overdrives were found to be dead on exact copies of the circuitry of Timmy's uber-expensive boutique overdrive pedals.The guy at the counter said that it had just come in,which I believed because there are people who would pay a king's ransom to get their hands on one of these fabulous pedals.Anyway I now have the little gem home with me and believe me these are the absolute epitome of overdrive pedals and it's all mine for just $50.

Although they have dozens of real junk guitars and amps they also get some tastey gear in at times,today was one such time.Behind the counter they had a mint Hagstrom Swede ffor only $350,I am so tempted to go back tomorrow and get it but after just spending $300 for my Tech21 RotoChoir this guitar would really cut into my Rickenbacker 360/12 savings. Decisions decisions lol.

No offense but who would pay a "kings ransom" for a Danelectro when the original is what like $125 or $150? You get what you pay for. Those pedals are really low quality you don't want to spend much on them but some of them do sound great. Not trying to rain on your parade or anything. I'm glad you're happy!

Btw have you checked out the Strymon Lex? If you're going to be shelling out that kind of dough for a rotary sim you definately aught to check them out. I have/have had a couple of their pedals and they're amazing.

Today I dropped into our only pawnshop and among the piles of worn out El Cheapo Strat copies was a display case full of pedals but what caught my eye right away was a mint condition Danelectro "lawsuit" Transparent Overdrive.The first run of these overdrives were found to be dead on exact copies of the circuitry of Timmy's uber-expensive boutique overdrive pedals.The guy at the counter said that it had just come in,which I believed because there are people who would pay a king's ransom to get their hands on one of these fabulous pedals.Anyway I now have the little gem home with me and believe me these are the absolute epitome of overdrive pedals and it's all mine for just $50.

Although they have dozens of real junk guitars and amps they also get some tastey gear in at times,today was one such time.Behind the counter they had a mint Hagstrom Swede ffor only $350,I am so tempted to go back tomorrow and get it but after just spending $300 for my Tech21 RotoChoir this guitar would really cut into my Rickenbacker 360/12 savings. Decisions decisions lol.

It's nice finding deals....your lucky, my local pawn shops charges a mint for stuff (close to what a new one would cost), greedy b@as%ards,needless to say I don't buy.

If you find anything great in a pawn shop then you're lucky. Nowadays it is rare (not like in the 70s when you could find Gibson Juniors and Specials along with Fender Jazzmasters, Jaguars, and Mustangs all the time), so consider yourself lucky!

And I agree with Dub about the Strymon pedals. I was thinking of getting a Lex but a Leslie simulator isn't really up my alley right now. Maybe someday! But my next pedal acquisition will most likely be an El Capistan (either that, an MXR 74' Vintage Phase 90 or an Xotic BB Plus overdrive).

@ Dub t 123-I realize that The Danelectro pedals aren't top shelf units.But the first edition Cool Cat Transparent Overdrives were exact copies of the very expensive and very highly rated Timmy's Overdrive pedals.When it was found out that they had duplicated Timmy's schematics right down to using even the same brand of caps Timmy's launched a lawsuit and a stopwork order and all remaining stocks on store shelves and on their premises were ordered destroyed.Consequently there weren't a real large number of the T.O. 1st edition pedals that made it to sale before they were shut down so now they have become pretty valuable though understandably not as valuable as an original Timmy's.The King's ransom statement was really another one of my tongue in cheek comments that I frequently make.

Archived