Gibson Brands Forums

NPD

Dub-T-123

photo-385.jpg

I'm in love <3

This thing is exactly what I was looking for. Lush, not over the top, totally psychedelic sound. This ones a keeper.

ACES!!!! I see that it is the older USA version, not the newer Nano series (which I hear have a sweep drop out problem for lack of a better term). Best ones IMHO. Does it have the dreaded volume drop? If so, its an easy fix.

I love Small Stones, although I am more of a Phase 90 guy (script logo version in particular). I know this isn't up your alley (Radiohead fan? Not me. But I know that Greenwood is very fond of Small Stones), but Jimmy Page played a Small Stone in the later years (76-80) on songs like "Achilles Last Stand" and "Nobody's Fault But Mine". That's what originally got me into Small Stones, but like I said, I prefer Phase 90s. I hope you and the Stone have some happy stomps!

ACES!!!! I see that it is the older USA version, not the newer Nano series (which I hear have a sweep drop out problem for lack of a better term). Best ones IMHO. Does it have the dreaded volume drop? If so, its an easy fix.

I love Small Stones, although I am more of a Phase 90 guy (script logo version in particular). I know this isn't up your alley (Radiohead fan? Not me. But I know that Greenwood is very fond of Small Stones), but Jimmy Page played a Small Stone in the later years (76-80) on songs like "Achilles Last Stand" and "Nobody's Fault But Mine". That's what originally got me into Small Stones, but like I said, I prefer Phase 90s. I hope you and the Stone have some happy stomps!

Yeah I've read that the Nanos aren't as good. I'm not sure if that's true really, but this version sounds really good and I like the look of the bigger box. I don't really notice a volume drop but that becomes more apparent at high volumes and I haven't used it that loud yet. I'll just mod it if it's a problem.

That's the thing.. I've used my friend's Phase 90 and I just don't like them. The sound is a bit too prominent or something. I'm a big Radiohead fan but I didn't know Greenwood used these. That's cool. I started wanting one after listening to Tame Impala. For some reason I figured the sound wasn't a Phase 90 so I guessed it was a Small Stone and I think this is what they use.

Check out this Tame Impala song to see what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUq3oc0lYbw

Thanks EVOL! I can tell I'm gonna use this thing a lot. It's perfect for my style.

The standard Phase 90s have a volume/mid boost that is very annoying and distorted. The Script one is way better IMHO. For your style of playing one cannot beat a good Small Stone. For my style of playing one can't beat a Script Phase 90. It is all player preference, man. Hell, you could have bought a cheap Digitech phaser and I would not say anything bad. And yes, THE BIGGER BOX EHX PEDALS LOOK BETTER. The Russian pedals look cool too.

Yeah he just has the regular modern Phase 90. I like it alright with his old Moog synth but not on guitar.

I have a (black) Sovtek Big Muff which looks super cool but doesn't sound very good and is made with **** parts. I've been thinking about ripping out the guts and putting in a Muff circuit built by muah.

Yeah I've read that the Nanos aren't as good. I'm not sure if that's true really, but this version sounds really good and I like the look of the bigger box. I don't really notice a volume drop but that becomes more apparent at high volumes and I haven't used it that loud yet. I'll just mod it if it's a problem.

That's the thing.. I've used my friend's Phase 90 and I just don't like them. The sound is a bit too prominent or something. I'm a big Radiohead fan but I didn't know Greenwood used these. That's cool. I started wanting one after listening to Tame Impala. For some reason I figured the sound wasn't a Phase 90 so I guessed it was a Small Stone and I think this is what they use.

Check out this Tame Impala song to see what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUq3oc0lYbw

Thanks EVOL! I can tell I'm gonna use this thing a lot. It's perfect for my style.

Tame Impala. Great band.

My phase90 is pre dunlap block logo so it has the mid boost; which i love. This pedal is LOUD. About as subtle as a brick to the face.

I've been listening to lots of Tame Impala lately. I can't get enough, man. I love it!

Do you listen to Wooden Shjips EVOL? I'm starting to get into them and they rock.

I saw an early 80s Phase 90 in GC when I was getting some strings yesterday. That's the version you have right? I should have plugged it in man..

Small Stones are one of the funkiest pedals ever made and I can't picture them ever going out of style or losing their popularity.Congrats,I know that you'll have years of trouble free fun with it.I have one of the earliest Bad Stones and had it now for almost 40 years and after all that exposure to the perils of gigging etc. it's still as good as new even though it doesn't look as pretty as it did new.

BTW:they also sound great when you play a piano,organ or other keyboard through them and would blow you away if you use it with an electric 12 string.Cheers.

Thanks guys.

Surfpup I almost got an early 70s version for $65. Missed out on that and scooped this up for about the same. Did you notice a difference in sound between the 70s and 80s models?

Bonzoboy it's funny that you say I'll have years of no trouble because it was actually broken when I got it haha. It got damaged during shipping and there was no signal when bypassed. I repaired it without a problem though and now it works and sounds great. I can't wait to show it to my friend who plays keys to check it out with his old Moog and Nord.

I'd love to see some pics of your pedal collection Bonzoboy. I really love old EHX pedals and it sounds like you have some great stuff. I've read about the Bad Stone and they seem really cool. The feedback control sounds interesting.

Surfpup ... Did you notice a difference in sound between the 70s and 80s models?

Well there was a gap in ownership of about 20 years between the two, so no real way to compare them. I do remember loving the 70s one, but it was so long ago that it might just be nostalgia! :rolleyes:

Do you listen to Wooden Shjips EVOL? I'm starting to get into them and they rock.

My drummer is a big fan so he plays them at rehearsal from time to time. I need to get some Wooden Shjips of my own soon.

I saw an early 80s Phase 90 in GC when I was getting some strings yesterday. That's the version you have right? I should have plugged it in man..

It has to be and early eighties. The logo on the top is block, there is no led, and the logo stamped on the back plate is script.

EVOL - Mah homie that told me about them said the album Vol. 2 is the best. Next time I'm in GC if they still have that Phase 90 I'm checking it out for sure. They actually have a few old MXR pedals for pretty cheap.

LudNutz - Yeah isn't that cool? Seems pretty expensive compared to cardboard haha. That's probly why they don't seem to do it anymore.

Surfpup - There's a version 1 for sale at TGP for $135 and it looks pretty clean. If my friend and I weren't heading up to SF to record a demo in a couple weeks I'd be all over it. The v4 sounds good man. Dunno if it's as good as the older ones though.

My drummer is a big fan so he plays them at rehearsal from time to time. I need to get some Wooden Shjips of my own soon.

It has to be and early eighties. The logo on the top is block, there is no led, and the logo stamped on the back plate is script.

Actually, that would make it circa 1977-78! The script logo on the backplate kinda gave that away. Any after that would just say "MXR INNOVATIONS" on the back, in block letters no less!

@Dub-T-123 I posted a thread on either the Epiphone Electric or Lounge setion of the forum entitled "My Guitar Family" that had pix of most of my guitar and amp collection as well as some of my more valuable vintage pedals such as my 66-67 Vox Clyde McCoy wah and my E-H pedals.You could probably be able to access it still.I also have an original first year issue of the rare E-H Frequency Analyzer pedal-now that's what sounds freaky.

@Dub-T-123 I posted a thread on either the Epiphone Electric or Lounge setion of the forum entitled "My Guitar Family" that had pix of most of my guitar and amp collection as well as some of my more valuable vintage pedals such as my 66-67 Vox Clyde McCoy wah and my E-H pedals.You could probably be able to access it still.I also have an original first year issue of the rare E-H Frequency Analyzer pedal-now that's what sounds freaky.

Cool I'll go look for that.

The Frequency Analyzer is a really cool pedal. Scott of Montreal Assembly just hooked me up with a circuit board to build one of his CA Ring Mods. I'm pretty excited to build that and make some crazy noise with it.

Now if you have an old Deluxe Memory Man I'll really be jealous haha

Archived