Gibson Brands Forums

Any Costello Owners here ?

JuanCarlosVejar

Folks ,

After my intent of getting Gibson to build me a J 35 5 star in lefty failed .

I've been searching for something else that excited me as much as that J 35 idea did .

I've come to consider the Elvis Costello Century of Progress ... the reason being I've been

playing big dreads and super jumbos these last couple of years . I'd like to try a new flavor this next time around .

Anyone own one ? or have any thoughts ?

thanks

JC

Anyone own one ? or have any thoughts ?

I have one, and I think it is by far the most tonally accurate reproduction of a '30s Gibson Bozeman has produced. I've played several examples of original L-Cs, and they have a very distinctive tone, quite different from other small-bodied Gibsons of that time. Perfect for rags, less appropriate for old-timey music than mid-'30s L-00s. (So definitely not a functional substitute for a J-35.) My EC captures that tone very accurately, but is simply better guitar than any of the originals I've come across. I have several '30s small bodies, but I never thought I'd own a modern Gibson small-body until I played this one.

-- Bob R

Would Gibson not build this for you? Sorry if you already covered this in another thread...new guy here.

Sugar Bear ,

Don Ruffato (Production Manager at gibson) said the builders at gibson didn't want to build me one

because in 2011 they had a limited edition of 16 built with the tops done by Ren Ferguson.

So they didn't want to harm the potential value of those 16 by building another ...even it it was a lefty.

are you a lefty ?

JC

I have one, and I think it is by far the most tonally accurate reproduction of a '30s Gibson Bozeman has produced. I've played several examples of original L-Cs, and they have a very distinctive tone, quite different from other small-bodied Gibsons of that time. Perfect for rags, less appropriate for old-timey music than mid-'30s L-00s. (So definitely not a functional substitute for a J-35.) My EC captures that tone very accurately, but is simply better guitar than any of the originals I've come across. I have several '30s small bodies, but I never thought I'd own a modern Gibson small-body until I played this one.

-- Bob R

Hey Bob ,

is that model good for strumming a bit at least ? .

I'm mostly a strummer and would like to find a small body gibson to strum on.

Don told me to try again in a couple of months maybe they will build the J 35 then

but I want a second option which def is gonna be a small body .

JC

I don't own one, but I did have the chance to play one. Very bright, crisp, tone. Loud...very unique. As Costello describes it, if you need a guitar that's gonna add a unique flavor or character, this is it. I've wanted one ever since I played it.

The L-Century of Progress model from the 1930s is one of my favorite guitars Gibson ever built. Love the Elvis Costello rendition, though I haven't had a chance to play one yet.

7b3aa814-bdba-497f-b9a9-55bded2d8f0e.jpg

strange lookin little bugger

i used to think it was stupid looking , but i might have changed my mind ... its growing on me

i seen costello end of last year , solo performance , just amazing . one of the best shows i've ever seen!

worth the ticket price just to see his gibsons

Archived