Gibson Brands Forums

My new Songwriter

BC Mike

I knew I'd be getting a Gibson a while back and joined the forum. I'm enjoying reading and learning lots about my favorite brand of acoustic. In the early seventies I had a Heritage which I bought at a local music store for near $400 which was a lot of money back then. Eventually I had rent to pay and I guess you've heard this before....I have a nice Taylor but after playing some Gibsons recently it sounded a bit bright and so after trying Doves, Hummingbirds and the big jumbos I finally realised I wanted the warmth of rosewood and here is the result. That's a Gretsch Chet Atkins in the background which replaces my old 60's Country Gent which again went for rent back in the day...

Mike in Vancouver BC

ps I know this is a 2011 but can one of you nail down the date for me from the serial #?

009.jpg

010.jpg

Hi, my Songwriter serial is 10351034 so it was born the 35th day of the year 2011 and was the 34th of that day....am I right ?

"... great guitar when paired with the right set of strings, which I have found it is very picky about ! "

What kind of strings are you referring to?.... I've put a set of Elixir nanoweb phosphore bronze 11-52 but if you have any suggestion...msp_cool.gif

Thank you one and all. I wasn't getting the date thing until you said the 115th day which made all the difference.

best. When I had my guitar set up they put on a new set of ??? strings which sound great. I usually use the inexpensive D'Addario light 3 sets to a box type of phosphor bronze .012 - .053. What kind do you think works best? I like warm but don't want to compromise ringing highs...

I'm an old touring sound guy and now work for the union that supplies stagehands for theatres/concert venues in Vancouver. Gearing up now for Roger Waters "The Wall" coming to BC Place Stadium here.

Mike

You have my answer in your PM box as requested ... :-)

Thank you one and all. I wasn't getting the date thing until you said the 115th day which made all the difference.

best. When I had my guitar set up they put on a new set of ??? strings which sound great. I usually use the inexpensive D'Addario light 3 sets to a box type of phosphor bronze .012 - .053. What kind do you think works best? I like warm but don't want to compromise ringing highs...

I'm an old touring sound guy and now work for the union that supplies stagehands for theatres/concert venues in Vancouver. Gearing up now for Roger Waters "The Wall" coming to BC Place Stadium here.

Mike

Way to go on your new Gibson. I suspect that eventually you will add to the list. In many ways, a guitar is a guitar. They all have the fundamental parts. Yet, Gibsons are truly different. It's not something easily put into words. It's something that one has to experience for themselves. Enjoy your Songwriter.

Welcome.

Nice Gretsch CA you've got there. Too bad about cashing in your Heritage and Country Gent.

Those Song Writers are great looking guitars and from your comments the rosewood was just what you were looking for.

Congrats on your new Gibbby. . B)

I bought my Songwriter in March of 2011. This guitar is really growing on me. I love the rich , warm sound of a Rosewood acoustic. I really like the way Gibson put the Rosewood on the peg-head. But....now I have to be the bad-guy and talk truthfully about my experiences with this guitar. Shortly after I bought it, the guitar nearly took a crash-landing on the pavement I was strolling along as I played because the strap button on the cable-plug had backed itself off . There was nothing to keep it from doing so apparently, when I contacted Guitar Center, the tech. recommended that I put a layer of thread tape (such as a plumber would use) on the threads and re-attach the button. The other option was ship it back to Montana and have Gibson fix it. I applied the thread tape and it held for a while, but 5 months later I had to do it all over again. Not what I really expected from a $3000 guitar. About 7 months into the experience, the nut on the inside of the amp-cable-plug had backed itself off on the inside and the threaded pipe which makes up the plug was loose and chewing into the plastic joint. Another call to Guitar-center-tech, and I spent about 2 hours (which i would have preferred to spend practicing) taking the strings off, and re-tightening the nut on the inside while reaching through the soundhole. So far, it has held, but a real pain to de-string, repair, and re-string . And just last week, 30 minutes to show-time, (not kidding) the battery in the elec. panel goes out. No problem...right?...pull the battery, replace w/ new one....rock on...right? Well i learned that the control panel will NOT open b/c of material defect. It seems the green fibreglass board that elec. components are soldered to is WIDER than the hole in the top of the elec. panel. Therefore; panel won't open, battery won't come out, guitar is dead in the water. Looked pretty stupid trying hold my guitar up to a vocal mike the whole show. I have contaced Gibson Cust. Service and have received the run-around. So far; nothing has been done. I hate to rain on this forum's parade, but I just want anyone who may be considering buying a Gibson 'anything' to hear the truth. Anybody else experience problems w/ their Songwriter?

Archived