Gibson Brands Forums

Does your drummer tune his/her drums?

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm a drummer as well as a guitar player, yes I do make sure they are tuned, snare & kick drum is a defiant for tune unless your just looking for some weird sound. And just like string's they do go flat after they been beat to a deformation state. Dampening is important too, that will likely depend on what kind of music your playing thou. Snare & kick drum is the only head I myself must keep fresh, its good to keep them all fresh but a drum kit with an old snare and/ether/or kick drum head sound's very bad .... ALL the time. Hoop's (rim's) should be true (round) too.

I keep my drums adjusted do that the tension is even all around the head. There is actually a tool that you can buy to measure this tension but if you are experienced you can do it by feel.

This is how you do it, you strike the drum beside a lugg and go all the way around the drum adjusting each lugg until the drum sounds the same at every lugg. The tool your talking about is a tension metering device that will work but it's much easier and faster to do by ear. [thumbup]

A good drummer knows the value of a well tuned kit.

They also have a good understanding of dynamics.

Just ask Cruzn'. He used to drum and knows what I'm talking about.

Of course this post needs approval from a moderator before it can be shown.

Speaking of dynamics.

I'm not feeling any here right now. [thumbdn]

I've had some unpleasant conversations with drummers who didn't think that pitch was important. Nothing sounds much worse than a band chugging along on an E while the drummer rides a floor tom tuned to an F.

I keep my drums adjusted do that the tension is even all around the head. There is actually a tool that you can buy to measure this tension but if you are experienced you can do it by feel.

This is how you do it, you strike the drum beside a lugg and go all the way around the drum adjusting each lugg until the drum sounds the same at every lugg. The tool your talking about is a tension metering device that will work but it's much easier and faster to do by ear. [thumbup]

The tension device works well if the rim is exacty flat and the drum exacty circular, which many vintage kits aren't, although it is good for getting in the ballpark. The best drummers I have known generally tune this way.

[1] damp the bottom head

[2] get one lug tuned to the pitch you want

[3] tune the lug immedialty opposite (i.e. on the other side of the rim )to the same pitch

[4] move round one lug and do it again. go round at least twice doing the fine tweaks the second time

[5] tune the bottom head in the same manner with the top damped

I've had some unpleasant conversations with drummers who didn't think that pitch was important. Nothing sounds much worse than a band chugging along on an E while the drummer rides a floor tom tuned to an F.

So do you re-tune the drums for the next song that's in Eb?

Archived