Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups to beef up an Epi Les paul

Epiphreak

the problem with pickup advice is that it is very very subjective....every one is going to recommend something different.

firstly...what music do you play? and what sort of amplification are you using?

+1

Also, have you heard (or, played) some guitar, recently, that makes you think you

need to change pickups, in your's?? If so, find out what was in it...that might give you a

better idea? But, as mentioned, Amps (and your own playing) have a lot to do with

"tone" chasing, as well. So...good luck! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

+1

Also, have you heard (or, played) some guitar, recently, that makes you think you

need to change pickups, in your's?? If so, find out what was in it...that might give you a

better idea? But, as mentioned, Amps (and your own playing) have a lot to do with

"tone" chasing, as well. So...good luck! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

So much truth here that you need to pay attention to. There are so many variable to your summary tone that I would recommend the pickups being among the last things you look to chance. Start with your amp(s) and pedal-board first.

Thanks for the welcome.

I just joined today! Yeah, good points mentioned so far. I find the stock pickups in the Epiphone LP a little muddy for my liking and wanted something a bit thicker and brighter sounding. I'm very happy with my set up and pedal board. That's NOT an issue. I use quite a few guitars, too. I use an old Marshall JMP 50 watt head and a cab with Celestion V 30s. Awesome set up for playing blues and rock!

GFS p'ups aren't available here in the UK!

Cheers

Al

You will get better tones by upgrading PU's; I've upgraded all my Epi PU's. Problem with JB's are they were made for bright woods (Jeff Beck's Tele actually) and are hit or miss in warm woods like mahogany. They can do very well in LP's, but they can also develop an 'ice pick spike' high-end, and a 'flabby' low-end. You don't know until you put them in.

On the Duncan forum, many of us prefer PAF's in LP's, and here's Duncan's which are some of the best:

- '59 - A5 magnet, bright, sharp high-end, lots of tight low-end, scooped mids, clean and clear.

- PG - A2 magnet, smoother highs, lots of mids, looser low-end, lots of earthy vintage dynamics.

- Seth - A2 magnet, unpotted, lots of mids and earthy vintage dynamics, looser low-end, open airy sound. The closest you can get to a PAF (co-designed by Seth Lover, the guy who invented HB's in the mid 1950's).

- A2P - A2 magnet, like a PG but a little warmer. Lots of dynamics.

If you want a hotter bridge, a C5 (SH-14), C8, or '59/Custom hybrid are very good in mahogany.

You will get better tones by upgrading PU's; I've upgraded all my Epi PU's. Problem with JB's are they were made for bright woods (Jeff Beck's Tele actually) and are hit or miss in warm woods like mahogany. They can do very well in LP's, but they can also develop an 'ice pick spike' high-end, and a 'flabby' low-end. You don't know until you put them in.

On the Duncan forum, many of us prefer PAF's in LP's, and here's Duncan's which are some of the best:

- '59 - A5 magnet, bright, sharp high-end, lots of tight low-end, scooped mids, clean and clear.

- PG - A2 magnet, smoother highs, lots of mids, looser low-end, lots of earthy vintage dynamics.

- Seth - A2 magnet, unpotted, lots of mids and earthy vintage dynamics, looser low-end, open airy sound. The closest you can get to a PAF (co-designed by Seth Lover, the guy who invented HB's in the mid 1950's).

- A2P - A2 magnet, like a PG but a little warmer. Lots of dynamics.

If you want a hotter bridge, a C5 (SH-14), C8, or '59/Custom hybrid are very good in mahogany.

Yup, from my own expierence Id have to agree all written here. Only thing I can offer is to realy get the full potential out of a LP guitar, stay away from the super high distortion passive pups and stay away from the hi gain metalish active pups. My reasoning for this is that those type of pickups dont make good use of the guitar qualities itself to the point were its all about the pickups. In a LP I realy like the Pearly Gates, but love the Seth Lovers. Im also a big fan of the Gibson BB2&3.

The other thing is to realy learn to use the guitar volume knobs. Just because you can dime it dosent mean you have to do so. Its amazing to me how many guitar players will instantly dime the guitar and amp volumes, then complain of nasty unwanted noise and feedback???? Hello Mcfly HELLO. I very rarely play my guitar volume at 10 anymore. I set up my amps to play nice with the guitar volumes in the the 2-5ish range. Now I have little to no bad noise and dont have to kill my tone with a noisegate. I still get all the squealing pinch harmonics I want and have control of the feedback. And still have a built in boost right handy on the guitar. Only reason I add this, is because its all related to pickups which is where the whole signal chain starts.

I have had excellent results with wilkinson whvc Humbuckers....usually about £30 each off the wilkinson website, but you can pick them up new on ebay, for about £30 for a set. I bought some chrome covered ones for my G400 and I bought some open coil zebra ones for another guitar. the zebras come with 4 core style wires for extra wiring options.

amazing value for money and perfect for blues and rock. they are based on the original PAF design that was given to Trevor Wilkinson by Seth Lover.

Wilkinson website link

and here is some on evil bay My link

I also hear that Iron gear pickups are good.

Iron gear link

Fancy a "hot slag" any one?

I just bought some pickups from an ebay shop for my Epi LP

Vanson 59 toasters. don't know if they are any good yet but the read up is promising ... 59 humbuckers that are NOT overwound.

If you are in the UK, then their ebay shop is worth a visit.

Vanson toaster link

I'll be posting a few pics, and a review when they arrive.

Archived