Gibson Brands Forums

What's your worst sounding guitar?

Being a strat, use heavier strings to bring out a little more tone. Other than that, buy pickups for the style music you are planning to play with it. Now, as for my crappiest-sounding guitar.......hands down it would be my 1996 Fender Jag-Stang ! Horribly thin and harsh sounding, no sustain, and is the most lifeless tone I have ever heard in a guitar. I only bought it because I was a Nirvana fan, and I can't part with it only because I know I will never own another one due to the rediculous prices people want for them. :)

I simply dont have a bad sounding guitar.. If it was bad I wouldnt have bought it?

I was a one guitar guy until a few years ago, I did used to have a Kay 60 double cut which would probably sound bad if I still had it (I wish I did sometimes).. After that I got a LP Studio in 1993, then it wasnt till 2002 when I got the Classic and never looked back (and sold the studio cos it just never got played).. Since then I now have five electric guitars and all are Gibsons and they all sound great :)

I have found that for each guitar, it will like or hate a certain brand of strings (or type) and even sometimes a certain gauge.

So..for example, a dark or muddy sounding axe will sounds better with bright strings, and a bright guitar sounds better with warm strings. There is no "best" string for me.

A little chart: brightest to warmest:

GHS Boomers

Dean markley Blue Steel

Dean markley electric

Fender 250's

D'Addario

Fender 150's

Ernie Ball Slinky's

As for gauge, I find a lighter gauge will have more snap, more growl in the bass, and more dynamics. A heavier gauge will have more bass. I don't think a certain gauge will be brighter or darker, but rather how the guitar likes it. If the guitat likes a lighter gauge, it will sound both warmer AND brighter, and going heavier will choke the highs. If the guitar likes heavier strings, going too light will sound more dead and lifeless. I start with 10's if I don't know.

Also, I find that Strat's in particular do NOT like the pups close to the strings. It makes the tone muddy. I realize Strat pups are lower in output, but I find great success dropping them WAY down and turning the amp up. Keeping the pups a good distance from the strings makes the bass tighter and snappier, the highs sparkle, and gives the sound a lot more clarity. Too close to the string and it chokes the highs and makes the bass sound like mud. You get a little more mids, but you loose any color and harmonics.

If I have a "dog" guitar, it would have to be the Paisley Strat.

It is kinda heavy, and of corse, is wallpaper and Basswood. I have no doubt I could make it sound good, but I have 3 others that I think sound great, so I haven't really concerned myself with it a lot. But, it plays GREAT and of corse, looks fantastic.

I'd be very hesitant to use the word "worst" to describe the sound any of my guitars but I guess the one with weakest and thinnest signal is my '67 Dover which is a 3/4 MIJ guitar that is somewhat like an amalgam of a Strat and a Jazzmaster as far as looks go.This little guitar sounds great when put through a good amp though and when I play it through the little Paul amp I got with it in '67 I'm thrown right back to my early guitar playing days.

Comparitively speaking it would have to be the Framus lusted after by DanvilleRob. Its tone is nice but it has no projection. But, what the hey, it got drug around half the world without a case from 1969 'till 1999, I'm prob'ly lucky to still have it. And, since it was so instrumental in the courtship of Mizriz Cruzn, there's no way it'll ever get gone.

Framus01.jpg

Framus02.jpg

My electa strat copy which was my first guitar. Wish I knew back then that it was worth spending a bit more money on a first guitar and that it's best to try before you buy, even if it is from Argos

Had a Peavey T-60 once in the early 90's that sounded absolutely horrible, just terrible. I bought it at a garage sale for $20, and I liked the way it played so I kept trying to convince myself it was a great guitar. I had it in my head that I had gotten an awesome deal. It was muddy clean and weak and tinny when distorted. Finally sold it at a garage sale of my own for $20. Should have kept it as a project and tried new electronics. All my guitars today sound great, if I had to pick my worst it would be my classical. Its got some intonation issues at the high frets.

Sometimes I can't make my mind up over which guitar sounds worst than the other, then I realize it's my playing that makes them sound bad. [biggrin]

Most days though it's my Epiphone because I only like it overdriven and I'm not a fan of the clean tone it makes at all, other days it might be my Fenders if there's too much hum coming from the pickups. It all depends on the mood I'm in.

my worst guitar i owned? Probably my first electric guitar, a kawasaki strat copy with a sh*tty kawasaki amplifier, eventually the amp blew so i took out the circuitry from it to use as a head. but eventually the circuit fried so i threw it out along with the guitar since the pickups didnt work

Had a Peavey T-60 once in the early 90's that sounded absolutely horrible, just terrible. I bought it at a garage sale for $20, and I liked the way it played so I kept trying to convince myself it was a great guitar. I had it in my head that I had gotten an awesome deal. It was muddy clean and weak and tinny when distorted. Finally sold it at a garage sale of my own for $20. Should have kept it as a project and tried new electronics. All my guitars today sound great, if I had to pick my worst it would be my classical. Its got some intonation issues at the high frets.

I remember a friend of mine had a T-60 for sale a few years back and he had just finished one of the best fret dressings I'd ever seen, the strings were almost touching the frets every where with zero buzz. I hated the sound of it plugged in, if it sound as good as it played I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

The worst would be this monster i bought for $50 ish ages ago,its a guild burnside and the neck pickup is completely fake,"just to fill the whole".I bought a bill lawrence pickup in my teens to beef up my pos lp copy i learned on and the p'up is the only thing left.The paint was trashed,i bought a $15-$20 kit included base paint w/ a 2nd smaller can of silly string type paint...it looks like chit,it comes across very tinny in sound,but plays like noones business,lighter than hell and for a grand total of $70 its paid for itself 20 times over.And its 1 of only 2 i own w/ lockdown/whammy.A simple retreat on the amps treble is all thats needed to wanna spend a few hours on her, till i decide to add a p'up or sell it.She has her battle wounds but i bought it from the guy that taught me to play so she has a sentimental value you just cant replace.

Depends on what I do with it. My Gibson Sonex can never get that great warm tube bluesy kinda sound. I still don't know what the body is made of (they call it "resinwood"). It's built like a brick and sounds like one. But if you want that fat heavy distorted sound then it's perfect.

Archived