Gibson Brands Forums

Paddle cut

Hogeye

This is very interesting, I have a '91 AJ that has this paddle cut. So it was during the Norlin era that this first appeared, or was Ren involved with its design?

Here are some pictures. The neck block looks like every other Gibson, can't tell until you look up inside under the top, with a mirror.

I also just noticed while i was with the mirror, that the bridge has small bolts poking thru the maple bridge plate. I didn't think Gibson bolted down the bridge any longer? I have not seen this on any other bridge from Gibson in more recent years. Could be just this model & year.

DSCF4108.jpg

DSCF4114.jpg

DSCF4116.jpg

If you see mother of pearl dots on the bridge there are usually bolts underneath. Your guitar is beautiful. The Brazilian fretboard and bridge are very amazing. The bridge is a very special piece of wood. Just don't try to take it across any international borders. Ren did not design the paddle cut.

Thanks for the info. Hogeye, I had no idea the bridge/board was Brazilian. It does sound great. Glad to read the paddle cut helps to stabilize the top more. Wonder how the sound or guitar's response is different because of it? The Fab. Flattop book doesn't seem so upbeat on the paddle though.

Archived