Gibson Brands Forums

bass strings not very loud amplified

stevet

I have a Songwriter Deluxe with the Fishman Prefix Plus T electronics. It seemed to play fine. Then, last week, I took all the strings off and polished it thoroughly, conditioned the nfretboard, and applied new strings. And the bridge saddle did fall out, and i put it back in. it floats fine, no binding and no damage, and it looks level. But now, it plays the same acoustically. But thorugh the electronics, the 3 bass strings are virtually non-existant, and the G string is moderately soft. Only the two treble strings (B and E) sound a normal volume. If I turn it WAYY up, I can hear the bass strings being picked up, but then of course the treble strings are WAYYY out there. For reference, say on a 1-10 know, the bass strings are a 1 when the treble strings are a 6.

The bridge looks level, and it's not binding. I think I got it in the right way too, but don't have a reference to go by other than memory (a tricky thing at best!).

Any ideas what happened? And what I can do? I've had this guitar 4 years and no issues at all till this.

loosen the strings, take out the saddle and make sure nothing got under there while you were cleaning, after you put the saddle back in tighten or tune the two middle strings first D & G then A & B then E& E, that way you will get even presure on the saddle while tuning.......that should fix your problem

The advice you got from Dchristo is indeed the solution. Just be careful when you tune the bass strings as they are wound and the windings tend to get caught on the saddle when they are tuned and they can drag the saddle out of the slot in the bridge and this will decrease the downward pressure on the saddle. This makes for bad contact with the saddle and pickup. Just detune push the saddle down in the slot and retune in the proper sequence and make sure the bass strings don't pull on the saddle and lift it up.

Archived