Gibson Brands Forums

John Pearce arm rest added to J-45

onewilyfool

I use John Pearse strings on numerous guitars and love them and am familiar with these arm rests. You're right, OWF, there is a sound difference. I haven't added one of these to any guitars yet but hearing this difference has caused me to pay closer attention to the location of my arm on the guitar face. I've seen several flat tops that have had these on for some time and they definitely show a color differentiation between the "covered" area and the non-covered area. 'Course, if you're like me, I keep a guitar for eons so that's really not an issue. Good pics.

I swear it is louder....the other plus is that it is a very comfortable way to rest my arm. It connects to the edge of the upper bout, and cantilevers over the top, so your arm never rests on the top. It really feels comfortable. I only have it on one other guitar.

How does it sound different? A real simple check: strum any chords with your forearm on the front face of your guitar (like many of us play). Then play the same chord without any part of your body touching the front face. You should hear it ring out differently. That lifting of your arm from the guitar is accomplished by the John Pearse arm rest. This could be a benefit to finger pickers especially. Curious if any of you get the same results I've gotten when playing a guitar with one of these.

Archived