Gibson Brands Forums

What did you do today?

mikekefr

This is what i got done today,i got this bimini top installed that took me a couple days to make,on a huge Mainship,guessing 46 footer.The entire border has zippers installed for a surrounding flying bridge enclosure,projected to take 3-4 weeks,my end reward is $3500,ill top off a couple of bills at that point and "possibly" order me a new epi goldtop.So even though im leaning towards a new epi goldtop,i am wide open to sugesstions for guitars in and around the $600 range....i absolutely fell in love w/ the recent pics of cookiemans stunning beauty Gretsch,so on the back burner,maybe a cheaper hollowbody since i dont own one yet.Anyway,hope you had a good one,it was beautiful out today.

Me? Taking pix of a basketball tournament for print and web; then writing a buncha other stuff for work.

Hope to pick a bit after supper.

Nice work for the boat, btw.

As for a decent priced semi, honestly I can't think of a better buy for $400 or so than an Epi dot. If you prefer the smaller body, the same web price hits the Epi 339 or the "different" wildcat.

m

Yard work! Leaves are my nemesis. I also modded up a couple TS9s to ship out to customers on Monday and worked on a BYOC analog chorus kit I am building. Along the way I had time to eat a Spam sandwich, drink a few Guinness and play a little guitar too. Twas a good day.

I just came back from a great day at my Wife's sister's house... her BF who is one of my best friends (and who I have known since we were born) was there too and so was her other sister with her husband who's a really cool guy.

Had a great time, we made some "parrillada" (look it up you rascals, don't expect me to explain everything to you) and it was great.

I made my signature thunder pepper salad and it was hot!

My wife worked so I got to spend the day with my four month old son. Weather in Chicago has been insane so I took him out for two walks: one to the coffee shop and one to the pizza joint. The pizza joint is run by Koreans (like my wife) and the ahd-jah-ma there loves my son since she does not have any grandchildren yet. Still, no free bees :( If she were my people (Greek) it'd be free slices or garlic knots! He is also getting over RSV and viral conjunctivitis so I think the fresh air and sunlight did him some good.

When my wife got home I took off and did grocery shopping and got about ten minutes to myself to play acoustic.

Leisurely morning with breakfast and the Sunday newspaper.

After lunch walked to the park, smoked a cigar while doing crossword puzzles

and enjoyed the 70 degree weather. Watched the world go by.

After lunch played my Gibson ES-339 for about an hour.

In the late afternoon got my taxes ready for the accountant.

After dinner played video games with my son.

Now I am here finishing up the day. Thanks for asking.

Make it a nice week everyone...

i am wide open to sugesstions for guitars in and around the $600 range....i absolutely fell in love w/ the recent pics of cookiemans stunning beauty Gretsch,so on the back burner,maybe a cheaper hollowbody since i dont own one yet.Anyway,hope you had a good one,it was beautiful out today.

maybe a gretsch electromatic g5238 or g5438? The both come is a gold top, are way less than your max budget and are actually not that bad. Especiall since gretsch brought out new versions of the electromatic series with upgrades

Lets see.......

Dropped the wife off at work.

Spent an hour actually working, catching up on some things left over from Friday.

Went to church were I opened and closed the service on guitar.

Picked up my Mom and we attended my Grandsons final hockey game of the year.

4pm picked up the wife from work.

Drove over to Moms for dinner

Then home to organize and prepare for the job Monday

Finally hit the couch and pick the Telecaster for about 30 min.

Fed horses at 6:00, Farrier came at 8:30 and we trimmed up five horses.

Went to the house and had lunch with my wife then went back out to work on getting my sprayer working. I sprayed a wooded area to kill off the horse weeds that were popping up fast and sprayed all the fence rows. Took the sprayer off of the atv and put it away.

Started up the mower and knocked out a couple areas that were way too tall for March.

Youngest daughter and grandson came over and visited a while. Grandson and I went out to the barn to feed the horses their supper.

After the kids left I jumped in the shower and cleaned up so we could go out to eat with some friends.

Didn't get a chance to play much guitar but I did pick it up a few times for about 10 minutes at a time. Busy Sunday for me.

Woke up to the wonderful smell of bacon cooking.

Had a great breakfast with my sweety and headed outside. Brought the lawn furniture out of storage after power washing the decks.

Sat in the unusually warm weather at a picnic table changing strings on my Strat. Strung it up differently this time. 9's for the high strings and 10's for the E A D.

Played a couple of hours with a buddy and my wife on piano (for a few tunes).

Sparked up the Barbie for a beer up the butt chicken and had the inlaws over for supper.

A wonderful Sunday all around.

We're looking at record setting temps all week. [thumbup] Hopefully no more traces of snow by the weekend. Still have a few 6 foot high snowbanks from the plow.

I am building an acoustic guitar. Worked on carving the neck and cutting the fingerboard. Going to make it a bound FB - rosewood with a ivory binding. Pearl dots. Should look real nice. Body is solid RW back & sides with a red spruce top.

I am building an acoustic guitar. Worked on carving the neck and cutting the fingerboard. Going to make it a bound FB - rosewood with a ivory binding. Pearl dots. Should look real nice. Body is solid RW back & sides with a red spruce top.

Sounds like quite the project Pfox.

How did you get started building acoustics? Did you apprentice or just biuld up a skill set over the years that you could apply to guitar building?

I'm hoping to take a course with a master builder in my area when I retire in 5 years or so. $4,000 for a 4 week, 8 hour a day course where you learn everything from choosing your wood, building your own jigs and tools etc. The whole job. When you are finished, you have a quality guitar that you've built entirely yourself.

Dave

Archived