Gibson Brands Forums

Check Out Some Demos!!!

Hey everyone, my three piece acoustic group recently recorded three songs as demos, and I thought I would share them here to get your honest opinions! They're all original pieces, and while the recording quality isn't the best, I think you'll be able to get a good idea of what the songs should sound like. :)

Be honest in your feedback, if there's anything you don't like....Let me know!!! :)

Thanks for your time!

Im gonna say this go happier .WE all know how hard and confusing and complex life is. I want to go someplace else in my music. Go simpler and use less words, but be more direct and compelling. bring the wocals up and add more other voices to the harmony. again take us to our happy place. good luck better than I could do..

I wish I could give it a second listen, but the site is blocked here at work.

I did listen to it over the weekend and I really enjoyed all the songs. If I recall correctly there was a lack of drums and a tambourine was used. I think some beats would dress it up great. The vocals are good and the guitar is very solid.

Skill wise they all sounded good...the last one " fire ", musically reminds me of the song closing time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGytDsqkQY8&ob=av3e

Would you care to elaborate a little more? Do you think it sounds too much like Closing Time, to the point where we should scrap the song? I've noticed the similarities, but I assure you that it was not intentional. I feel that Fire's one of our strongest songs...

Personally, I don't think it's that similar, but I appreciate your input. :)

Would you care to elaborate a little more? Do you think it sounds too much like Closing Time, to the point where we should scrap the song? I've noticed the similarities, but I assure you that it was not intentional. I feel that Fire's one of our strongest songs...

I think in this day and age that it's hard to find rock n roll that doesn't have similarities to other songs. There is so many influences out there...

Im gonna say this go happier .WE all know how hard and confusing and complex life is. I want to go someplace else in my music. Go simpler and use less words, but be more direct and compelling. bring the wocals up and add more other voices to the harmony. again take us to our happy place. good luck better than I could do..

Were the songs that sad? They're not supposed to be...Thanks for the input! Don't worry, we have much more material we'll be sharing! :)

Thanks for the input on the vocals. A common complaint has been that the vocals aren't loud enough. We'll keep that in mind for our next recordings.

I wish I could give it a second listen, but the site is blocked here at work.

I did listen to it over the weekend and I really enjoyed all the songs. If I recall correctly there was a lack of drums and a tambourine was used. I think some beats would dress it up great. The vocals are good and the guitar is very solid.

The reason there is so little percussion is because we are a three piece acoustic band. It's myself on guitar and vocals, another guitarist, and a bassist/vocalist that plays tambourine on a few songs. When we play shows we don't have a drummer. We wanted to keep the recordings authentic to our performances. Thanks for the input!

The reason there is so little percussion is because we are a three piece acoustic band. It's myself on guitar and vocals, another guitarist, and a bassist/vocalist that plays tambourine on a few songs. When we play shows we don't have a drummer. We wanted to keep the recordings authentic to our performances. Thanks for the input!

You should get Shred to throw some drums on just to see how it sounds. I do appreciate the authentic approach to the recordings. it keeps your over all performance real. [thumbup]

The part that starts at about 0.12 somewhat reminds me of the piano part from closing time.......I don't think you need to scrap it or anything , maybe it's just me but I hear a similarity..( musically not lyrically)..even if there is a similarity that's not a bad thing, just don't want you getting flak over it.

Nice job. At times it sounds a bit like The Shins and at times a bit like Fountains of Wayne's acoustic stuff.

Some of the singing (lead and harmonies) needs to be tightened up a bit but that's why rehearsing and practice our so important.

Keep up the good work.msp_thumbup.gif

Oh and Shred calm the heck down most of us are just getting home from work.

I'm sure many members will leave comments as the evening progresses.msp_flapper.gif

Oh and Shred calm the heck down most of us are just getting home from work.

I'm sure many members will leave comments as the evening progresses.msp_flapper.gif

All i'm saying is that there were many other threads that got a lot of replies today while everyone was at work. I know not everyone can get on here at work but there are those that can, and do.

The sense of community here has really diminished over the past few months...I didn't like seeing that CoCs thread had 35 views and 0 replies, thats all.

All i'm saying is that there were many other threads that got a lot of replies today while everyone was at work. I know not everyone can get on here at work but there are those that can, and do.

The sense of community here has really diminished over the past few months...I didn't like seeing that CoCs thread had 35 views and 0 replies, thats all.

Hey bro I post stuff all the time that gets ignored. Not many peeps into some of the same things I am Im guessin.

I hate when 60 people look but only one takes the time to comment. Ob la di ob la da

Hey bro I post stuff all the time that gets ignored. Not many peeps into some of the same things I am Im guessin.

I hate when 60 people look but only one takes the time to comment. Ob la di ob la da

[flapper]

Here's another opinion. I'm going to mince words; don't take anything personally. I don't know you and you don't know me, but I'll try to help you for a minute.

1st tune is too repetitious. Change up or simplify the strum for the chorus, or employ a different chord progression for certain parts, or both.

2nd tune, trim the fat off the lyrics... only big prob is too many words. The arpeggio bit breaks things up nicely, makes it more interesting to listen to.

3rd tune, the vocal harmony is a good thing. Rhythm guitar is in a rut again with the strum pattern -- but I heard some single-string 'lead rhythm' hook going on and it was working nicely, maybe do it 1 or 2 more spots.

Overall not too bad at all - y'all should be playing as many coffeehouses & open mics as possible to test your material to see how the audience responds & try to get laid. Always watch & connect with your audience! Never ever play with your heads down! This kind of music can get you laid a lot, all the time.

Keep condoms in your case always.

Here's another opinion. I'm going to mince words; don't take anything personally. I don't know you and you don't know me, but I'll try to help you for a minute.

1st tune is too repetitious. Change up or simplify the strum for the chorus, or employ a different chord progression for certain parts, or both.

2nd tune, trim the fat off the lyrics... only big prob is too many words. The arpeggio bit breaks things up nicely, makes it more interesting to listen to.

3rd tune, the vocal harmony is a good thing. Rhythm guitar is in a rut again with the strum pattern -- but I heard some single-string 'lead rhythm' hook going on and it was working nicely, maybe do it 1 or 2 more spots.

Overall not too bad at all - y'all should be playing as many coffeehouses & open mics as possible to test your material to see how the audience responds & try to get laid. Always watch & connect with your audience! Never ever play with your heads down! This kind of music can get you laid a lot, all the time.

Thank you for the honest feedback!!!

Yeah, for the first song it's the same chord progression the entire time, but I kind of like it that way. It's just a straightforward rock song, and with the repeated lead and solo I think we've made it a pretty interesting song all around. I'll keep your opinion in mind though. We do try to stay away from songs with just one chord progression in our newer material, we're trying to get into more complex stuff.

One More Day, I think that's one of our best songs lyrically, but I can see where you're coming from with the "too many words". Especially in the second verse, even though it's my favorite part of the song. It's good to keep the audience in mind... :)

Thank you for taking the time to listen. :)

LOL i listened to the songs in full when they were 1st posted,but from my taste in music,if i was gonna offer advice on these songs,it was gonna take alot longer than just tellin someone to go practice more or go make your bed,so after hearing them in full again,here goes..................all the above notes are very accurate and too add.........1st song too monotone,kept waiting for a bridge,maybe consider scrappin the tamborine every now and again change it up,example,the hand clap from the song/movie "that thing you do" would fit perfectly on that song,and or try using the guitar thumb thumpin thing like on extremes "more than words".Both times i heard all 3 songs,i kept tryin to remember which comedy skit had someone snatchin the tamborine from someone and stompin it into pcs,no offense,just wears on me after the 1st 3 minutes. 2nd song, this song was less monotone,again w/ the tamborine...the song comes across to me w/ a flair of "greenday" which is not a bad thing,chorus too rushed,words too jammed 2gether, 3rd and my fav of the three.....i really like the intro backin riff on the 2nd guitar,all of your songs need more of this !!! your music/singing as a whole sounds like a mixture of "Cake and Duncan Shiek" which is a very good thing imo,again w/ the tamborine..have you ever thought of maybe trying a snare drum with brushes maybe?just an idea...again,kept waitin for a bridge...heres somethin to look at too i realized towards the end of the last song...look at the page all 3 songs are on <the squigly lines> that stretch across the song....on all 3 songs,theres not alot of variances throughout them,meaning to me,the songs are screamin for bridges,changeups,turnarounds, so in closing try having the tamborine player thump a simple beat with a thumb on one of the guitars to change up the rythym section,since imo your voice resembles the singer from Cake and Duncan Shiek,pull up some of thier music and listen to thier bridges,turnarounds and how the melodies do or do not follow,not to steal thier licks,but to get ideas on adding bridges/more melodic vocal parts and such staying within that vocal range... and by all means the more riffs like the intro of Fire,the better...that makes the song stick out more to me than just someone strumming,not that theres anything wrong w/ the playing,its just hard to stand out w/ original stuff due to the vast mass' of others songwriting/playing,now,i must get to my sewing machine for im not making any $$ sitting in this chair....p.s. if you have a good sense of humor,next time you guys get together,go outside w/ your guitars and find a safe spot and set that tamborine on fire and while u roast marshmellows or hotdogs,think of a new song as you watch is smolder,if you dont have a sense of humor,ignore the p.s. ..............and speaking of smoldering,if you had 2 friends over and one had smoke rising from his head and the other had flames 2 ft tall coming from his head,you'd rush over and help the guy w/ flames,that is why i posted to "someone elses thread" before yours....your stuff just needs some tweaking and not a fire extinguisher [thumbup]

Seriously guys? No replies?

I thought you guys liked music. Or maybe you just like talking about how much you like music. :)

Give COC some feedback on his new demos....I already have in another forum.

You're not the boss of me. I'll listen to them on my own time. ;)

Archived