Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Early Rolling Stone Songs?

charlie brown

CB, There are so many where does an early Stones fan begin. You stated "Under My Thumb". The hyper version on "Got Live If You Want It" is great, too! A lot of screaming (they couldn't filter it out back then), but

really a cool version. How about, "The Spider and the Fly" from "Out of Our Heads"? Even thought they didn't write it, I love their version of "It All Over Now." [thumbup]

I agree...it's difficult, to post just "one" favorite...so, how about a couple,

YouTube Vid's, of your (early, or later) favorites! [thumbup]

Heck, my "geezer" band, still does "It's All Over Now," "Satisfaction," and

their version of Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away!" There are SO many other's

we'd like to do, as well. So...??? [tongue]

CB

One of my favourite Stones songs is Child of The Moon and Sittin on a Fence,Have you Seen Your Mother Baby Standing In The Shadows is incredible,Paint it Black and of course Lady Jane-that song is a masterpiece with Brian playing hammered dulcimer and Ian Stewart playing harpsichord-I get goosebumps just thinking about that song .Every song on the December's Children(and everybody's)album is a gem,I have the CD on order from CD Universe and it should be here any day.

I agree...it's difficult, to post just "one" favorite...so, how about a couple,

YouTube Vid's, of your (early, or later) favorites! [thumbup]

Heck, my "geezer" band, still does "It's All Over Now," "Satisfaction," and

their version of Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away!" There are SO many other's

we'd like to do, as well. So...??? [tongue]

CB

Nah man Under My Thumb is definately 100% my favorite.

I loooooove early Stones. I even like their little foray into disco.. I'm a total sucker for them.

Have you seen the Rolling Stones Rock n Roll Circus?

Nah man Under My Thumb is definately 100% my favorite.

I loooooove early Stones. I even like their little foray into disco.. I'm a total sucker for them.

Have you seen the Rolling Stones Rock n Roll Circus?

But, of course! [biggrin]

Here's "Sympathy for the Devil," from that show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H3QcpvcIrY&feature=related

(Love those "Big Box" versions, of the Fender Dual Showman, they're using!)

CB

I'd likely go with Ruby Tuesday. Really too many to choose just one. I really liked (still do) As Tears Go By. I think I was kind of surprised to find these "bad boys" could write such a cool folk/torch song. For me, it was very out-of-character for them at the time. I still like Marianne's version the best(partially because she was real easy-on-the-eyes), but The Stones do it like only they can do it. And hey, what about Street Fighting Man?

Yes definitely also to As Tears Go By.

Marianne or however she spells her name made that into kinda a lifelong business, perhaps.

The cool voice on it, nothing fancy, was kinda like cool school jazz it seemed to me at the time.

Another funny to me with the Stones is how they seemed to be taking in as much American country music as blues and yet making it their own.

It was an interesting era of musical experimentation.

m

'The Last Time' is where I came in....'64? That's a GREAT riff and if you look at old TV of it (must be on UTube) Brian Jones plays his part on the Vox teardrop, half-way up the neck.

Never quite figured that out as it's easier further down.

And 'Aftermath', still one of their best early LPs.

Archived