Gibson Brands Forums

The least I paid for a guitar

WahKeen

So my wife is driving home from work and sees these guys on the side of the road selling stuff. She notices this shiny cherry red guitar there. She pulls over, and asks the one of the guys how much for it. It's missing the low e tuner, and the guy tells her that besides that, the guitar works and plays well. Now, I'm not going to say it was an original 1970's gem. In fact it's anything but that. It has no name on the headstock, no "vintage" anything, etc... It is clearly a knock off of an Ibanez or something else. But he says he wants $35 for it.

My wife, the astute woman that she is (she married me, after all [tongue] ), says "$25". The guy pauses, and then agrees. So, she brings it home, and I'm looking at this thing like, what did you buy this for?? Well, she said she wanted one.... Haha, ok, so I tell her I'll fix it and will see if I can get her to play.

Well, I put a Gibson tuner. Yeah it looks hilarious, but it works. Put brand new strings, clean it up, set up the neck a bit and plug it in. The pick ups, whatever they are, sound decent on my line6 x3 live. It has a metalish sound to it. Besides a few minor issues, I say she got a steal for a guitar. Now, I'm not putting it next to my historics, but it does serve a purpose for having kids over and letting them bang on it as they wish.

So, for $25, not bad, I say. Anyone pick up a loner and made it shine???

Here it is, bad phone picture and all. With a few mods, it could be a contenda ??

Photoid_1332111222725.png

That is awesome,not bad lookin either.....i bought my g/f a vantage acoustic yrs back from a former student,beautiful guitar but has a screw run into the back of the neck just b4 it goes into the body,helping a crack stay sealed....i traded a $20 "item" for it and it takes a beating,......great intonation,sound,and even looks good.

That was a bargain no doubt,my best bargain was my Vox MK VI Acoustic,I paid $90 for it and it's worth over $2000 now.I traded a set of headphones and an E-H wah wah pedal for my Vox Phantom XII and that's worth over $2000 now too.My Hagstrom Corvette cost $750 in 1963 and I paid $85 for that and she's worth about $1500 these days.A lot of my guitars that I paid a pittance for are worth as much as 2000% of what I paid for them-I did a lot better than most people who bought stocks and bonds.

Here is my recent $25 special. It's an Epi G310 with a big hole in the body where the input jack should be, and no idea if anything worked. The guy at the shop wanted $30, I offered $25 and it was mine.

IMG_0179.jpg

I flattened a Les Paul jack plate to cover the hole, put in a new jack, cleaned it up and gave it new strings. Overall it is in decent shape. just a few dings and gouges. The stock pickups sound OK, I'll play around with it a while and see what I want to change. She cleaned up pretty good.

Phase1clean2.jpg

Phase1clean.jpg

Here is my recent $25 special. It's an Epi G310 with a big hole in the body where the input jack should be, and no idea if anything worked. The guy at the shop wanted $30, I offered $25 and it was mine.

IMG_0179.jpg

I flattened a Les Paul jack plate to cover the hole, put in a new jack, cleaned it up and gave it new strings. Overall it is in decent shape. just a few dings and gouges. The stock pickups sound OK, I'll play around with it a while and see what I want to change. She cleaned up pretty good.

Phase1clean2.jpg

Phase1clean.jpg

Ive been lookin for one of those for 'lack of better words' stepson xmas gift,any chance u wanna sell?

I paid a junkshop £10 ($15) for this in about '82. It needed some work......

I know you've all seen this snap before but it's the guitar which cost me the least money so, yet again, here's 'Djangly';

Lo-resIMG_2413framedv2.jpg

P.

My Telecaster. Won the auction at $215, which is good if you ask me. I just found out what kind of body it has, which is a Classic Series 60s. The neck it originally had was a Warmoth, but it cracked at the heel during shipping, which was a bit of a disappointment. It was a killer neck with the weirdest looking lacquer I've ever seen. It was like tie dye with different shades of caramel, it was beautiful.

My cheapest has nothing to do with cleverness on my part, like some of the ones already offered here. No, I bought mine in the PX somewhere in Germany in 1969 for $55.00. I later bought a 12-string version of the same guitar as well as a 6-string electric. But this is the lowest priced axe I own or have ever owned. I schlepped it around for about 30 years before finally spending 90 bucks on a nice case for it. [thumbup]

Framus01.jpg

A few years ago I got a call from my (then) drummer. His pal was selling a guitar and he thought I might be interested.

When they arrived I was so disappointed because it was an inanez (it had an Ibanez case which was falling apart). I opened it and there was a RG 1750... Which was the top of the RG line (it was at the time called the prestige model). I think they costed about the same as a les Paul studio... Maybe even more?

I don't care about super strats.

I hate slim necks, especially those ibanez necks that feel like you aren't grabbing a neck at all.

And I am bored by tremolos especially locking tremolos. (give me a bigsby and I'll be happy).

The guy wanted 100 bucks for her.

I offered 80 and by the end of the week I had already shipped her to her new owner who paid a lot more than that.

Someone moved out of our apartment complex and left a Silvertone archtop in the basement. The new tenants told me about it and I set it up. Nice little guitar. Wound up giving it to the new tenant when he moved back to Texas. This was about 30 years ago. Next best was a Harmony Sovereign for $15, about 20 years ago, sold it to a student for $45. Wish I had kept it.

Brad

I hope you shared some of that money with the guy who sold it to you Thundergod. I sold my second guitar (an epiphone G400) to a friend for 70GBP. It was needing a bit of work done to it. Hence the low price tag. A week later, my friend surprised me with another 100gbp. He had fixed it up and sold it and gave me half the proceeds.

Guest farnsbarns

I win!

I bought what looks like a 60s Hofner solid body for 70p (then 35c) at a car boot sale. It has yet to e sorted out but it has an interesting pickup on it, no pick guard or pots but has a jack. I keep meaning to wire the pickup to the jack and see if it works and then get it playing. That'll be a beater and a half!

I paid a junkshop £10 ($15) for this in about '82. It needed some work......

I know you've all seen this snap before but it's the guitar which cost me the least money so, yet again, here's 'Djangly';

Lo-resIMG_2413framedv2.jpg

P.

:-k

I'll give you them $15 + 1 buck for every year you've cared for her, for a grand total of $45!

[-o< (please say "YES", please say "YES", please say "YES", please say "YES", please say "YES", please say "YES", please say "YES") [-o<

:-"

I've been fortunate enough to have been given a few nice instruments over the years. I have also given a few away myself. I think I've given away one more than I have received, so I'm still ahead in the "pay it forward" column.

I was given this one by a friend that remembered I had one "back in the day"

5851174429_afe638ba7b.jpg

1969 Dan Armstrong

Archived