Gibson Brands Forums

Found these old things, CB Radios :)

FenderGuy1

before mobile phones were out we use to have those to communicate hell we didnt even a have a house phone for several years due to shortage of lines.

they where somerkamps I believe sim to this.

with the home base unit you could hear the truckers in the states on a good day !

Sommerkamp_340.jpg

I actually even had a tube version I used as a home base unit with a nice outside antenna.

You can still get the things if you want one. They're a lot less expensive in adjusted dollars than they were in the '70s, too.

m

Roger, Roger.

What's our vector, Victor?

Dont call me shirley :)

But seriously I used to have one of those.. a really fun and annoying thing to do was if you happened to be situated between two people having a conversation you could block out the signal as yours would be stronger.. haha, it used to annoy people alot but I was young (13 at the time).

I also had a roger bleep that annoyed people too.. for those that dont know its a bleeping sound to signify that you have let go of the mic button.. but you could get custom ones made which I did. Ahh they were much simpler days :)

I actually even had a tube version I used as a home base unit with a nice outside antenna.

You can still get the things if you want one. They're a lot less expensive in adjusted dollars than they were in the '70s, too.

m

Just interested... What was the make of the valve CB radio milod ?

Guest farnsbarns

I had a friend who was into CB when I was about 15. I very quickly realised that (In the UK at least) having one put you in touch with a few hundred idiots who had nothing to talk about except the CB radios they were using for the talking. [confused]

they worked last time i checked, i want to get power cords soldered to them, so i can plug them in and plug em into a amp or a stereo for a little PA or maybe a extended speaker, put the antenna in the plug for the antenna and tune in the antenna then talk to other randoms

I had a friend who was into CB when I was about 15. I very quickly realised that (In the UK at least) having one put you in touch with a few hundred idiots who had nothing to talk about except the CB radios they were using for the talking. [confused]

Before they were legalised in the (would have been around '81-'82?) I had an illegal AM one in my car and got busted for it.

Luckily, I escaped with a confiscation order. It was actually pretty cool at that time as the people using them were enthusiasts. Then they legalised the FM ones and it turned to chaos.

I can't remember exactly what the old CB was - I think it was a Heathkit, but it was back in the late 60s or early 70s.... so I'm not at all sure.

m

Might I respectfully suggest mlod, that you memory may be playing tricks with you ?

I have been involved with RF communications (as a licensed radio amateur) since 1959.

I have no recall of a valve based citizens band radio ever having been produced.

As an old man, and a stroke victim, my memory may be playing tricks on me !! So please

forgive me if I missed something back in the day !!

Kind regards,

F. [thumbup]

The guy I got them from was an EE - heaven knows what he may have done or exactly what company. Heck, that's well over 40 years ago for me, too. <grin>

And my memory may also be playing tricks.

I think there also often are different products in the US. I'm not sure whether CB frequencies were available as early in the UK as in the US.

m

I remember all my road racing friends traveling to Elkhart Lake track having me tune up their CB's. They all had, best I recollect, been de-tuned to 4 watts as legal limit. Didn't take much to tune the peaking coil on the output to about 8-9 watts and they really could get out & talk on the road traveling. Then out came the "linear amps" and best I remember, about 50+ watts. You really had to be careful with those babies cuz if caught, even with running 8watts, you're busted. Tuned the SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) on many a CB antenna back in those days. Don't know how I remembered any of that stuff, but it just came back when I read this post. Thanks for the memory lane. Life was pretty dang good then for sure.

Aster

Thinking about it, I believe Milod is right on the Heathkit & Tube type CB base stations. Here's one that I found that I believe is a Tram.

TubeCB.jpg

Think a company called Browning or something like that may have had them too? Too long ago, but good excersise for the gray matter.

Aster

Well Milod, I should not have questioned your memory playing tricks ! Indeed it was mine that was missfunctioning !

The Heathkit GW42 is a very rare model in the Heathkit range, made/sold in the early 1960s.

Around that time I bought and built a Heathkit AF Signal Generator kit, which was a valve circuit, and was using it to do my first experimenting with 'Music Concret' (Early Electronic Music). I recorded various frequencies onto quater inch tape, using a Ferrograph reel to reel tape machine, then cut and spliced different lengths and 'notes' together. The result was then 'multitracked' using a second tape machine, and various analogue effects added. Shades of the early BBC Radiophonic Workshop !

Any way I digress, here is a man who recently found an old Heathkit GW42 :

Kind reards,

F.

Archived