Gibson Brands Forums

Found these old things, CB Radios :)

FenderGuy1

Breaker, Breaker Rubber Duck I think we got a convoy!

By the dark of the moon

And on the 6th of June

With a Kenworth haulin' logs

Cab-over 'Pete' with a reefer on

and a 'Jimmy' haulin' hogs.

We was headed for bear on I one oh

'bout a mile out of 'Shaky town'

I said, "Pig Pen, this here is Rubber duck

and we about to put the hammer down. >krrrrk<

(I my best falsetto voice:)

"We got a little convoy

Truckin' through the night.

We got a little convoy

Ain't she a beautiful sight?

Come on join our convoy

Ain't nothin' gonna get in our way.

We're gonna roll this truckin' convoy

'Cross the U.S.A..... Convoy......."

Back in high school, I knew all the words to this one and me and my buddies would drive the citiboys crazy singing it in the hallway between classes. Drove the teachers nuts too.

my favorite line was, " 'leven long haired friends of Jesus in a chartruse micro-bus."

"Yeah, you wanna put that micro-bus in behind 'Suicide Jockey'? Yeah, 10-4 he's haulin' dynamite and needs all the help he can git."

Oh, those were the days.

[thumbup]

Yup, I still have my old CB, but no one to talk to. That and a set of 'rabbit ears'.

[crying]

By the dark of the moon

And on the 6th of June

With a Kenworth haulin' logs

Cab-over 'Pete' with a reefer on

and a 'Jimmy' haulin' hogs.

We was headed for bear on I one oh

'bout a mile out of 'Shaky town'

I said, "Pig Pen, this here is Rubber duck

and we about to put the hammer down. >krrrrk<

(I my best falsetto voice:)

"We got a little convoy

Truckin' through the night.

We got a little convoy

Ain't she a beautiful sight?

Come on join our convoy

Ain't nothin' gonna get in our way.

We're gonna roll this truckin' convoy

'Cross the U.S.A..... Convoy......."

Back in high school, I knew all the words to this one and me and my buddies would drive the citiboys crazy singing it in the hallway between classes. Drove the teachers nuts too.

my favorite line was, " 'leven long haired friends of Jesus in a chartruse micro-bus."

"Yeah, you wanna put that micro-bus in behind 'Suicide Jockey'? Yeah, 10-4 he's haulin' dynamite and needs all the help he can git."

Oh, those were the days.

[thumbup]

Yup, I still have my old CB, but no one to talk to. That and a set of 'rabbit ears'.

[crying]

:D its good to have a fellow vintage CB collector too here, i have 3 of them, they work and are very nice radios, i have a USA radio which is a Eversonic but i don't know the model # or model of it, and 2 australian radios, one is missing the channel knob so i turn it with a pair of pliers

I recorded various frequencies onto quater inch tape, using a Ferrograph reel to reel tape machine, then cut and spliced different lengths and 'notes' together. The result was then 'multitracked' using a second tape machine, and various analogue effects added. Shades of the early BBC Radiophonic Workshop !

Kind reards,

F.

Ferrograph is a big name I haven't thought about since the early 80's!!! I think they made some really cool test equip too best I recollect.

Tinkering around is so fun. [thumbup]

Aster

I was big into CB radios back in the mid to late 70's, they were alot of fun.

Big +1. I lived in Northern NJ and worked in Southern NJ. Drove about 75 miles each way on a daily basis. The old CB was your lifeline. The equivelant of today's live traffic, etc. Got your traffic reports, cop locations, weather conditions, and anything else you needed/wanted to know, not to mention the "regulars" you used to talk with.

Do truckers still use these things?

:D its good to have a fellow vintage CB collector too here, i have 3 of them, they work and are very nice radios, i have a USA radio which is a Eversonic but i don't know the model # or model of it, and 2 australian radios, one is missing the channel knob so i turn it with a pair of pliers

My lone CB does not a collection make. However, I have acquired a pair of walkie-talkies that use CB channels. One works, the other doesn't so... maybe I do have a collection. The Walkie-Talkies each take 10 AA batteries and are the RadioShack brand, "Realistic."

Back in the day, when there were only 23 CB channels, most CBs broadcast at 5 watts. When they upped the available air space to 40 channels, they cut the standard to 3 watts and they dropped the CB license requirement. Anyone know what wattage requires a license?

I remember all my road racing friends traveling to Elkhart Lake track having me tune up their CB's. They all had, best I recollect, been de-tuned to 4 watts as legal limit. Didn't take much to tune the peaking coil on the output to about 8-9 watts and they really could get out & talk on the road traveling. Then out came the "linear amps" and best I remember, about 50+ watts. You really had to be careful with those babies cuz if caught, even with running 8watts, you're busted. Tuned the SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) on many a CB antenna back in those days. Don't know how I remembered any of that stuff, but it just came back when I read this post. Thanks for the memory lane. Life was pretty dang good then for sure.

Aster

Thanks for sharing, your post gave me a big smile! And yes, the SWR was important to get as near as 1:1 ratio so you didn't blow up your radio's internals!

Archived