Gibson Brands Forums

Lets see your beater...

daveinspain

This is a great guitar paid like, $350 for it and it's in great condition but it's what I will use to take to my lessons or let someone use to jam or what ever. I was always nervous about putting one of my Gibbies in a gigbag to go to my guitar lesson on my bike...

L1060917.jpg

This one. Had for about 35 years. MIJ LP copy.

All electronics have been changed. New pups are SD 59 in the neck position and SD JB in the bridge.

Notice the maple leaf fret markers. Kinda Canadian eh?

DSCF0618.jpg

my squier CV tele, it got a huge dent on the upper bout even before it got home thanks to monarch airlines.

repaired it using some superglue and black paint.

i also have a jasmine by takamine 12 string acoustic which is unplayable as a 12 so strung with 6 and is always on a stand in my music room.

telecus_2.jpg

Don't "abuse" my guitars, regardless of price...but, because of the faded

finish, this one has the most wear (back of the neck) on it! Love it's

tone, look, and playability. So, it get used, quite a lot!

DSC_0027.jpg

CB

nice axe I also have a faded DC.

you changed the pickguard ?

lpdc3.jpg

It's called a Les Trem or Les Tremolo. This particular model, which I thought was the nicest one, isn't made anymore. They're made to go on without drilling or routing - just hook onto the stop studs. Allparts carries them (ABM 5600-G Les Tremolo), but you can find them cheaper on fleaBay. Here's a closer look of the one on my Gibby LP -

LPPTLesTremRollerBridge.jpg

Geez, I wish I had some of the "beaters" posted here.

Here's my '92 Alvarez-Yairi DY-52N. I have far more memories with this guitar than any other guitar I own. And it is probably the sturdiest guitar I will ever have. Bought used at Elderly Instruments:

749.jpg

I have a couple of notes my students have written me over the years taped to the bout. One wishes me good luck for a gig that night!

750.jpg

The Joshua A/E, on the left, is my loaner/beater/grabber.

IMG_0309.jpg

I couldn't quite put my finger on what, exactly, was different about the Joshua and then it clicked...

The f-holes are the "opposite way round" from the norm (for want of a better term!).

Usually the f-hole curves from the centre out-and-backwards where on that guitar they start outside centre and curve back-and-inwards!

P.

Archived