Gibson Brands Forums

Steve Earle and love

As an aside, he's being backed by The Mastersons which are a talented duo in their own right.

As another aside - he makes his dislike for Gibson's CEO/management very much apparent. He had two mandos at his recent show in Manhattan. One has a word written on it, the other has another word written on it. Put them together and his sentiment became very clear. Amusing, but very clear. For thsoe that were unaware, he devoted a minute or two to the topic.

Kool!!!

I was working in a music store when Guitar Town came out. I kept that sucker playing all day long. I have been a big fan ever since. Earle's solo gigs at Hal and Mal's in Jackson, MS were always a big treat. I still have boxes of Steve Earle bootleg recordings down in the basement somwehere.

While Sugarland bores the heck out of me, I love Jennifer Nettle's voice. Her duet with Jon Bon Jovi on "It's My Life" on Crossroads actually made me like that song.

thats quite a feat

Yeah, Sugarland pretty much sux ....but Jennifer Nettles solo without the hoopla,in a small venue, and singing the right songs might be quite nice. She does have an interesting voice and delivery. She has simply turned her life over to the Nashville/New York marketing people. Does this destroy her musical integrity? I don't know but she's laughing all the way to the bank.

Steve Earle, on the other hand, is great in any venue. Saw him and Townes in the 70s in a scuzzy bar and still remember it ..... and I don't remember much of the 70s .... the 60s didn't come to Alabama until the 70's you see..

Jennifer Nettles bugs me. I can't stand to watch her sing and I don't like the way she over-twangs her voice. As for watching her sing, there is a certain part of her visual stage presence that reminds me of Garth Brooks. Both of them seem insincere in their delivery. It's hard to explain. Like an actor that is over-acting. Maybe she is a super person! Garth Brooks is supposedly very generous. With bandmates and songwriters, anyway.

I do think her Steve Earle song is cool. I even wrote a song years ago that had a line in it about him. I'm a big fan of Steve Earle, one of my favorites, for sure.

Is there a quintessential Steve Earle album ?

Im not really familiar with his work other than Copperhead road from way back, but Im interested to find out more.

cheers.

Singling out a Steve Earle LP is tough.

I would say my favorite though is "I Feel Alright". My favorite commercial live release is "Live at the BBC" (I think this was later re-titled Radio 1 Live BBC or something) recorded in 1988.

Others LPs that stand out for me:

Train a' Comin'

Guitar Town

Transcendental Blues

Singling out a Steve Earle LP is tough.

I would say my favorite though is "I Feel Alright". My favorite commercial live release is "Live at the BBC" (I think this was later re-titled Radio 1 Live BBC or something) recorded in 1988.

Others LPs that stand out for me:

Train a' Comin'

Guitar Town

Transcendental Blues

train a comin is one of my favourites , the country side of earle but great songs

washington square serenade is a good recent one

if you like the rockier steve earle 'shut up and die like an aviator' is a good live album

amazon and itunes reviews are usually good guides where to start .. he' a fantastic songwriter able to match anyone when he gets it right ... well worth checking him out

Im not really familiar with his work other than Copperhead road from way back, but Im interested to find out more.

cheers.

Yeah, not sure about an album ... his latest (I'll never get out of this world alive) is pretty good with some good songs (Every Part of Me, Meet me in the Alleyway,Little Emperor) and some throw aways. Guitar town is a good song and Goodbye is so nice (see previous posting of forum folks covering this song). His best work is very subtle. Well worth taking the time to get to know his stuff!

cheers.

There is a decent enough greatest hits package that will give you a taste of everything from Guitar Town to the late 1990s. You can decide what you like from that and then follow up. Tons of his stuff on the tube though anyway, EA. You can pretty well hear ten versions by him of anything he's recorded on the net. Then you can listen to Buc, Anne and Blindboy do their versions.

While it has nothing to do with the thread other than it concerns a singer I would normally not give a second glance at - that is until this little performance.

If only some of these country ladies would dump the bad 1970s southern rock bands with a fiddle or pedal steel that passes for country these days and hook up with a good band and some good material.

Gretchen in Chains

There is a decent enough greatest hits package that will give you a taste of everything from Guitar Town to the late 1990s. You can decide what you like from that and then follow up. Tons of his stuff on the tube though anyway, EA. You can pretty well hear ten versions by him of anything he's recorded on the net. Then you can listen to Buc, Anne and Blindboy do their versions.

aww c'mon man , we're tryin to get him to LIKE him !!

:-D

While it has nothing to do with the thread other than it concerns a singer I would normally not give a second glance at - that is until this little performance.

If only some of these country ladies would dump the bad 1970s southern rock bands with a fiddle or pedal steel that passes for country these days and hook up with a good band and some good material.

Gretchen in Chains

WOW! That was incredible! I'm watching it and thinking to myself, hmmm, how many guitarists do they have? Then I realize that one of them was Nancy! Gretchen did that proud. She's a real powerhouse. I am not a Jennifer Nettles fan either. And when that ridiculous "Stuck Like Glue' song comes on, the station gets changed.

Steve Earle can do no wrong in my books, and Justin is so very under-rated. I have seen him twice now and he is a real showman, with incredible talent, and he can make a guitar sound like no one else.

Steve Earle is the god damned MAN

First time I saw Steve Earle was in a very small club but it had a super high ceiling. There was a spotlight up high, angled down at the singer. The band comes on stage, Steve Earle straps on his guitar, walks up to the mic, shields his eyes with his hand, stares at the guy running the spotlight and says "Turned that goddamn light off." Light goes off. He immediately slammed into Guitar Man.

I'm like somebody said, I forget who it was, some other artist, "Steve Earle invented "cool." Or something like that.

His song, "Valentine"... a poignant love song about being a loser and forgetting to get anything for his lover on Valentines Day... is a freakin' masterpiece. Songwriting doesn't get any better than that. It's stunning in its poignancy and irony. Losers can still love and have regret for being such a loser! Of course, his unique voice and delivery makes it all the better. He's screwed up royally, he's been in prison, he's the real deal. I think he has been sober for many years now.

I'm sure that his signature Martin is very nice and all, but it's a shame he's not playing Gibson slopes any more. His AJ sounds fantastic on certain versions of Fort Worth Blues, the Roy Smeck too, and I don't think My Old Friend the Blues ever sounded as rich as on this J45. The recording is not perfect, but the guitar still sounds fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQm59Svd9rs