Gibson Brands Forums

Natural reverb.. you cant beat it

Rabs

So yesterday I went to my dad’s old warehouse to check on the building.. Its a 160 year old church that he used for a warehouse and offices(my grandad bought it in 1952) and is now empty as hes retired now and the business has been sold and sadly the building is going soon too. So I took the opportunity to do something ive been wanting to do for ages and now its empty I can... The ceiling is like 30 foot high or so, so you can imagine what the reverb is like in there.. So I decided to get it on camera so I can always remember this.. :) (yet again i was unrehearsed so just play whatever came to mind, one day I will practice before I do these things ;))

Im using my 60s tribute goldtop and just a small Marshall MG FX15 and still get a pretty good sound..

This is what the building looks like outside.. I will be very sad to see it go...

2011-04-14113828.jpg

And this is the vid.. Sorry for the length but I did actually edit that down from about an hours footage (I got a bit carried away lol :P) Also I did try it totally unplugged, and you can still just about hear it.. the camera is about 20ft away but still picks it up.. then clean then some distortion :)

That sounded great Rabs,like you said,you can't beat natural reverb.The Canadian group The Cowboy Junkies recorded their fiirst album in aan old Toronto church just using 3 strategically placed mics. You should check out the album the natural reverb makes a stunning effect.I think that it's a sin to demolish old buildings.Huge businesses bought up large tracts of our downtown area where there are rows of buildings over 100 years old and rather than use them for business purposes where they'd be compelled to refurbish them they let them fall into such a state of disrepair that they have to be torn down.It's then that they put up the glass and steel monstrosities that they had intended to in the first,that's criminal if you ask me.

That sounded great Rabs,like you said,you can't beat natural reverb.The Canadian group The Cowboy Junkies recorded their fiirst album in aan old Toronto church just using 3 strategically placed mics. You should check out the album the natural reverb makes a stunning effect.I think that it's a sin to demolish old buildings.Huge businesses bought up large tracts of our downtown area where there are rows of buildings over 100 years old and rather than use them for business purposes where they'd be compelled to refurbish them they let them fall into such a state of disrepair that they have to be torn down.It's then that they put up the glass and steel monstrosities that they had intended to in the first,that's criminal if you ask me.

And yeah I totally agree.. And well in this case even though the inside will probably be totally gutted, I think they actually have to keep the front and side (the one you can see) as it is, as its a grade b listed building.. So it wont totally go.. but still, i had always dreamed of turning into a recording studio if I ever won the lottery, but thats unlikley now :P oh well, things change I guess.. At least i got to do this one time..

Where is that old church?

Cheers guys.. And yes I did keep thinking f ACDC stuff too lol.. But I was totally unprepared.. Just did it all at the last minute.

And the church is in Bow East London :)

Archived