Gibson Brands Forums

Seriously?

jannusguy2

That might actually be a 1902 introductory spec L-0, which is described as having a large, rounded peghead with friction pegs, and a black top. I've never seen one, so I'm only going by a verbal description on a vintage Gibson website. No way in hell that finish is original in any case. Its collectibility is listed as D-.

My first reaction was "WTF?".

If it's genuine, it's a one of a kind. I've never seen what appears to be volutes on either side of the neck. No headstock ornamentation, might also be indicative of an experimental model. All the other details appear to be spot on for and early Model "O".

If not, someone went to an awful lot of work to build a guitar for only 6 grand.

Here's the South Dakota Univ Music Museum site:

http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/PluckedStrings/Guitars/Gibson/GibsonGuitarChecklist.html

The 'volutes' I see could be the lighting showing the geometry better than I've see before.

Probably under priced at 6K.

Its a Gibson.. Ive owned a Couple of those Style 0s , there actually a Nice Guitar, and Yep.. its a Style 0 .. I would say that is earlier that 1902 , Ive owned a few 1905ish Os with the Pearl and Ebony Rope Binding.. and they came with a Paddle Headstock very simular to the Harp Guitars of the day.. Most of the ones earlier than 1906 were the Crest inlay as well. I see this one is lacking that..

Well worth the Money in my opinion.. a Piece of Gibson History at its best..

Sweet Guitar...

If it's genuine, it's a one of a kind. I've never seen what appears to be volutes on either side of the neck. No headstock ornamentation, might also be indicative of an experimental model. All the other details appear to be spot on for and early Model "O".

If not, someone went to an awful lot of work to build a guitar for only 6 grand.

Here's the South Dakota Univ Music Museum site:

http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/PluckedStrings/Guitars/Gibson/GibsonGuitarChecklist.html

The 'volutes' I see could be the lighting showing the geometry better than I've see before.

Probably under priced at 6K.

If you take the volutes away, it's a much better looking instrument. Add the classic Gibson-style headstock and smooth out the curves/carves a bit and it's truly fine visually. The 1907 version on that site looks really good. With the volutes I still say bedpan, albeit historically important bedpan.

Archived