Gibson Brands Forums

White button tuners for J-45?

nickammo

I own a J-45 Standard that is an excellent guitar. My only complaint is I don't love the big shiny tuners. I much prefer the tuners on the True Vintage model. According to specs those are called Gotoh White Button. A few questions I have:

1) Where can I buy the tuners?

2) Would it be a direct replacement meaning I can use the tuner holes and screw holes?

Thanks

I may be mistaken(please correct me if Im wrong) but I dont think the tuners will be a direct fit, without modification. Like my J45 Standard, you have the silver Gotoh tuners, right? They have one screw hole, where the other tuners have 2.

I replaced the Rotomatics on my J50 with these 3-on-a-plate Kluson Deluxe tuners:

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/WD90NPP.htm

I love the look! The buttons match the binding nicely and they weigh much less than the Rotomatics. The downsides are that you have to drill new holes, they cover the serial number a bit on the back of the headstock, and the giant Rotomatic washers left indentations in the headstock that the Kluson bushings don't cover (the indentations aren't all that noticeable though).

I tried some StewMac restoration tuners (3 on a plate kind with white buttons) before the Klusons, but those were rather cheaply made in my opinion. I didn't care for them at all.

Archived