Gibson Brands Forums

Is the Cherry G-400 Available with Masetro Vibrola?

gvdv

Hi Everyone,

Well, after thinking about it on and off for a few years, I decided I just had to have a Cherry (high-gloss, not Faded) G-400.

Interestingly, I have had a bit of a problem locating one.

I usually buy new, commonly available, musical equipment from one of the Long & McQuade chain of music stores here in Toronto, Canada, but I was very surprised to be told yesterday when I phoned to order a G-400 that they could only get the guitar in Pelham Blue.

I have actually seen the new versions of the Cherry G-400 hanging in the store in the past, but I was assured that a Cherry model could not even be ordered in its standard configuration, and that no

G-400 was available with a Maestro Vibrola, which is what my preference would be.

So, I ordered the guitar from another store – and the salesperson there also told me that the Cherry version of the G-400 could no longer be ordered with the Maestro Vibrola.

From what I can tell from looking elsewhere on this website, the Cherry G-400 is still available with the Maestro Vibrola – am I right about this?

Also, can anyone – particularly those of you who might live in Canada – cast any light on why Long & McQuade told me that they could only order a G-400 in the Pelham Blue?

Seems fishy to me.

Thanks,

Gvdv.

Any long & mcquade should be able to order you g400s of the following varieties:

Goth

Cherry

Black

Cream

Possibly Negative

Pelham Blue (with or without maestro)

Possibly certain color deluxes

They currently have exclusive series runs of Cream guitars, Pelham Blue guitars, and they should still have some of their Negative run. As far as I know those are exclusive to them, as far as Canada is concerned.

They shouldn't have any problem ordering a cherry or black, or goth for you, since those are regular production models. Why they would is beyond me. mellow.gif

As far as I know the cherry with maestro is no longer available anywhere...

There could these models sitting unsold in mom & pop stores too, so I'll check around locally for you. Because most of these stores aren't authorized internet retailers, these can't be easliy found by a conventional Google search...

No guitar sexier than an SG with a Maestro! The red and black '65 Maestro SG Stds and white SG Customs were all very limited runs and have been out of production a few years (I think they were all made in Korea). I got mine used on eBay; they turn up once in a while for sale. I've played half a dozen Epi Maestro SG's, and all have hard, heavy wood, evidently to prevent flex and screws from loosening.

Looks like the pelham blue SG is the only Maestro in production now.

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for your replies.

I am going to do some more asking and looking around for a Cherry G 400 with the Maestro, just to satisfy my curiosity.

And,I am definitely going to pursue trying to talk to somebody in the upper echelons of Long & McQuade in order to try to get to the bottom of the message that I was given.

Thanks, once again,

Gvdv..

If you really want a gloss red SG with a maestro there is this and couple others here:

Gibson SG

Hi fretter,

Thank you for this link.

However, the reason that I decided to buy the G-400 is that the Gibson SG's are too expensive for me.

If I were to go for the Gibsons, I would go for the SG Standard Reissue with Maestro VOS

Thank you, once again, for your message and your suggestion.

All the best,

Drutgat.

Hi Everyone,

Well, after thinking about it on and off for a few years, I decided I just had to have a Cherry (high-gloss, not Faded) G-400.

Interestingly, I have had a bit of a problem locating one.

I usually buy new, commonly available, musical equipment from one of the Long & McQuade chain of music stores here in Toronto, Canada, but I was very surprised to be told yesterday when I phoned to order a G-400 that they could only get the guitar in Pelham Blue.

I have actually seen the new versions of the Cherry G-400 hanging in the store in the past, but I was assured that a Cherry model could not even be ordered in its standard configuration, and that no

G-400 was available with a Maestro Vibrola, which is what my preference would be.

So, I ordered the guitar from another store – and the salesperson there also told me that the Cherry version of the G-400 could no longer be ordered with the Maestro Vibrola.

From what I can tell from looking elsewhere on this website, the Cherry G-400 is still available with the Maestro Vibrola – am I right about this?

Also, can anyone – particularly those of you who might live in Canada – cast any light on why Long & McQuade told me that they could only order a G-400 in the Pelham Blue?

Seems fishy to me.

Thanks,

Gvdv.

Hey Gvdv,

How about getting a '66 G400 in Cherry and picking up a Maestro Vibrola

seperately and replacing the stopbar with it.

I did, on my Explorer and it looks good, works great and was a breeze to install.

Maestro's go for aprox $120 on Fleabay or you can try Allparts.

(they don't come with the Lyre or logo though)

Love the old SG Standard with maestro. Had a '67 Standard, best guitar I ever had.

Here's my Explorer after the maestro was installed.

cimg1170z.jpg

You should get a '66 G400 looking just like this Gibby no problem.

rk50thannisg.jpg

Good luck mate. I hope that helps.

Paul

I asked thins on a previous thread, if I added a maestro from all parts would it need grounding? I read in other places that it would on an SG?

SGs, G400s etc are usually grounded on the treble side bridge post insert so no additional grounding of the Maestro should be necessary.

SGs, G400s etc are usually grounded on the treble side bridge post insert so no additional grounding of the Maestro should be necessary.

Thanks for that appreciate it,

As for the vibramate, well I've been waiting for this for an age but it just never seems to come out!

Hey Gvdv,

How about getting a '66 G400 in Cherry and picking up a Maestro Vibrola

seperately and replacing the stopbar with it.

I did, on my Explorer and it looks good, works great and was a breeze to install.

Maestro's go for aprox $120 on Fleabay or you can try Allparts.

(they don't come with the Lyre or logo though)

Love the old SG Standard with maestro. Had a '67 Standard, best guitar I ever had.

Here's my Explorer after the maestro was installed.

cimg1170z.jpg

You should get a '66 G400 looking just like this Gibby no problem.

rk50thannisg.jpg

Good luck mate. I hope that helps.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your suggestion.

Unfortunately (for me), I don't really like the pickguard on the '66 - I am trying to get as closely to the sound and look of George Harrison's SG as possible (but with the compromise of staying within my budget). Here are some photographs and an article about George's SG - George's SG

I have, however, been considering trying to fit a Maestro (if I can get one) on to the G-400.

Thanks, once again,

Gvdv.

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your suggestion.

Unfortunately (for me), I don't really like the pickguard on the '66 - I am trying to get as closely to the sound and look of George Harrison's SG as possible (but with the compromise of staying within my budget). Here are some photographs and an article about George's SG - George's SG

I have, however, been considering trying to fit a Maestro (if I can get one) on to the G-400.

Thanks, once again,

Gvdv.

They fit on any g400/SG, I just like the batwing guards.

Found a maestro vibrola for you on Ebay, Item no. 150784928521

Like I said, easily to instal in less than an hour, stringed and tuned.

Good luck mate. [thumbup]

Paul

Oh, and here's a gratuatous pic of my little 'White Devil'

Just 'cause I can. :lol:

cimg1168f.jpg

Cheers

They fit on any g400/SG, I just like the batwing guards.

Found a maestro vibrola for you on Ebay, Item no. 150784928521

Like I said, easily to instal in less than an hour, stringed and tuned.

Good luck mate. [thumbup]

Paul

Oh, and here's a gratuatous pic of my little 'White Devil'

Just 'cause I can. :lol:

cimg1168f.jpg

Cheers

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your continued interest in my G-400 purchase :-)

And thank you so much for taking the time and effort to search eBay on my behalf.

I am in 2 minds here – I really want to get the Maestro, however I also want to make sure that the guitar is to my liking, so that part of me is telling me to wait to purchase the Maestro.

Can I ask you, and others here, are Maestro Vibrola's regularly available through eBay, like the one that you found, and is that $95 price typical?

I also wondered if the fact that the seller had put the word "Nickel" in capital letters means that this is desirable and/or the metal that the original was made out of, with the implication being that there are copies which are not made of nickel – am I on the right track in thinking this?

Thanks so much, once again,

Gvdv.

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your continued interest in my G-400 purchase :-)

And thank you so much for taking the time and effort to search eBay on my behalf.

I am in 2 minds here – I really want to get the Maestro, however I also want to make sure that the guitar is to my liking, so that part of me is telling me to wait to purchase the Maestro.

Can I ask you, and others here, are Maestro Vibrola's regularly available through eBay, like the one that you found, and is that $95 price typical?

I also wondered if the fact that the seller had put the word "Nickel" in capital letters means that this is desirable and/or the metal that the original was made out of, with the implication being that there are copies which are not made of nickel – am I on the right track in thinking this?

Thanks so much, once again,

Gvdv.

See them all the time.

Just go to Ebay, punch up 'Maestro vibrola' and you'll find them

in chrome, gold or nickel.

Cheers

Paul

It goes without saying, of course. But I'll mention it anyway: If you're doing the install yourself, even being fractionally off can adversely effect the playability , so take good care to measure and mark accordingly...

Thanks a lot for the advice, guys.

If I do decide to get the Maestro Vibrola I will definitely have a friend do the work for me and pay him to do it, because I cannot draw a straight line with a pencil and a ruler.

All the best,

Gvdv..

Archived