Gibson Brands Forums

A question about my V

I have a 67 reissue, I had one previously but it got stolen at a show. Since I got this new one, there is some problems with it. Now, maybe I didnt notice it before on my previous one, but there is a loack of fullness to the sound, even unplugged, it is alomst as if something is deadeneing the strings. I also have an 84 V, same hardware and stock pickups, but it has a bigger sound. Shouldnt they be a bit similar in sound? That 84 V has a lot natural sustain and more low end, and I was wondering if there was some way I could get the 67 to have a bigger sound. Is it the nut, the bridge, or just the guitar itself? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I have a 67 reissue, I had one previously but it got stolen at a show. Since I got this new one, there is some problems with it. Now, maybe I didnt notice it before on my previous one, but there is a loack of fullness to the sound, even unplugged, it is alomst as if something is deadeneing the strings. I also have an 84 V, same hardware and stock pickups, but it has a bigger sound. Shouldnt they be a bit similar in sound? That 84 V has a lot natural sustain and more low end, and I was wondering if there was some way I could get the 67 to have a bigger sound. Is it the nut, the bridge, or just the guitar itself? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

It could be something in the setup too. Look at action, string height at the nut, play with the tailpiece height. Is the neck angle close to the same between the two? Do both bridges sit about the same distance from the body for the same action? If not, it's likely the higher bridge sounds a little better because of increased downward pressure of the strings on the brige. Also, where are your pickups set relative to the strings, what's the output of the pickups compared to the other? Value of the pots? Maybe 300k in one and 500 in the other. There is so much mojo about the way two or more pieces of wood go together that you can't necessarily expect even two of the same model to sound that much alike. Last - don't let loudness be the only determining factor for good sound. The more quiet one can be turned up at the amp and may sound sweeter than the louder one.

Archived