Gibson Brands Forums

Need help on guitar worth

Motherofpearl

I have the opportunity to pick up a 1948 lg2 Gibson for $700

There are no cracks in it and the neck is straight its been played but so it should be can someone tell me what these are worth? This guitar is located in the same town as me

Thanks

If it is really LG2, and as slimt said, Xbraced, tell me where you live and I'll race you over there. $2500 range and up depending on condition. Buy now before the seller gets a clue. (LG1, ladder braced top, '48 in good shape still a pretty good buy.)

If it is really LG2, and as slimt said, Xbraced, tell me where you live and I'll race you over there. $2500 range and up depending on condition. Buy now before the seller gets a clue. (LG1, ladder braced top, '48 in good shape still a pretty good buy.)

Whoa there! That "depending on condition" is a huge caveat! I might pay that for a pristine LG 2. Much higher than that and you're starting to look at J-45's. As far as $2500 goes for an LG-1? What market are you looking at?

Don't look at starting prices or buy it now on Ebay. Look at completed sales.

I have the opportunity to pick up a 1948 lg2 Gibson for $700

There are no cracks in it and the neck is straight its been played but so it should be can someone tell me what these are worth? This guitar is located in the same town as me

Thanks

As the boys said check the bracing as it may be an LG-1...

Then have a look in....

hal-leonard-vintage-guitar-price-guide-2012.jpg

..If its in Excl condition LG-2,... then $2,500 is a fair EBAY price. You will get a lot of junk going for a lot less on the BAY,.....A dealer will be just shy of $3,000 but you can get this down to around $ 2,700. Again,..its all subject to condition and if it needs work....

Prices are going up on these LG-2's as they were a relitively cheap entry into the vintage market and peeps have been jumpin' on them..

[smile]

http://fortmcmurray....QAdIdZ353632205

Here is the listing the tuners have been changed and the headstock is painted $700 not very expensive all the same

.... Looks to be in OK condition. Did you check the serial number inside to verify the year? and the bracing to confirm its an Lg-2?

Not sure about how the seller stuck on that pickguard - Looks like it maybe be newer aftermarket guard.....looks far to new ...(and its out of wack!!) for the age of the guitar...

Definately a players guitar....

[unsure]

Ya there's a few things changed on it so it's not a collectors piece by any means. I am meeting him Monday I'll check the bracing out for sure. I have never owned a vintage but 700 I think I could get some use out of it. Thanks for the help

As the boys said check the bracing as it may be an LG-1...

Then have a look in....

The smaller vintage dealers that I know, those that cannot afford to sit on guitars for month after month, are knocking up to 30% off those prices to move instruments.

As someone said, $700 for even a late 40s LG-1 in good condition would be a really sweet price. It would be a killer price for an LG-2 in good playing condition. But about the only LG-2s I have seen breaking the $2K mark are banners and maybe script logo guitars that are in really good condition. And even then, they are not breaking it by that much.

In my opinion $700 for a 1948 LG-2 even needing some repairs would be a good deal.

Actually just read the ad - red flags all over the place.

First, the pickguard is the style Gibson started using in 1955.

Also while I may be wrong, I thought that while Gibson did use an "H" designation in the 1940s it followed the FON not preceded it. Hopefully somebody with a bit more knowedge than I will chime in to help you out.

I would tread very carefully around this one.

From the picture .. its Not a LG2.. its a LG1.. the Inside back is lacking the center strip.. easy to spot there.. a LG1 is a Ladder brace guitar and 700 would be about right.. a grand is way to high on one of those.. also from the picture , its been altered..

Stick your finger inside the sound hole towards the bridge.. if it hits a V , it will be a X brace.. easy to see.. a ladder brace will go from one side of the top to the other.. a straight brace..

also the Center strip.. look into the sound hole to the inside back. the center strip should be right there.. but this one does not have that.. its a LG1

this is the best source..

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson6.html

You will have to excuse me if I seem a bit distrusting but I tend to be a bit suspicuous when dealing with guitars with no logos and ads which go on about I really don't know anything about guitars but was told by so and so. . .

Looking at the pics again, the pickguard does appear to be askew which might indicate a replacement.

When you go look at the guitar give the FON a real good eyeballing. I just don't think Gibson used an "H" designation in their FONs in 1948. I also think the FONs from that year should be four digits not five.

From the picture .. its Not a LG2.. its a LG1.. the Inside back is lacking the center strip.. easy to spot there.. a LG1 is a Ladder brace guitar and 700 would be about right.. a grand is way to high on one of those.. also from the picture , its been altered..

Good eyes. I thought something looked odd inside the soundhole but I could not place it at first. The I looked inside my 1947 LG-2. No center strip - no LG-2.

Hmmmmmmm,....Those large guards are not period correct for a '48 as far as I know. Should be smaller tear drop.... It may be covering something "nasty" up.....

......LG-2 that's actually an LG-1. Seller is a muppet.

I'd personally walk away. It's all a bit fiishy!!!!

8-[

Ok I'll check the bracing and the FON

So if it's cross braced should I even worry about the FON

No it just means that it is an LG-1 and not an LG-2 which is pretty much a given at this point due to the fact that it does not have the strip running down the back. The FON will tell you when the guitar was made which does come into play in terms of how much the guitar is worth.

His Luthier was either blind or trying to hide something under that guard when he put that sucker on!!! IMO...

Here is a stock 1948 LG-1 Guard:

1948guardLG-1.jpg

Your suspect LG-2 guard :

Dodgyguard.jpg

and here's my '58 LG-2 guard:

DSCN2861.jpg

[bored]

Archived