Gibson Brands Forums

picked up a ukulele at a thrift store, what should i do with it?

FenderGuy1

i was on respite we went to a few thrift stores a few had old radios, and this one i went to had a old ukulele that had a lot of scratches on it for $1 so i picked it up, needs a new nut so what should i do with it? one of the tuners is loose too, and there is no brand name, it looks like a typical 4 string natural finish ukulele, something like this 389920_254069874653517_100001515201005_692340_1721967321_n.jpg except without the brand name, should i convert it to a small guitar?

Keep it a uke. A uke is always fun to drag out to just plunk on. It's a good change-up during a performance to just play while you do a solo vocal. That and it's great to use when in an intimate setting as with Paul, George and Ringo.

Ukuleles are kewl.

100_4051_edited-2.jpg

The on on our left looks like mine, a Capitol, I think the headstock is the same. Mine has an injection molded fretboard, frets and nut all one piece, like yours appears to be. I have aspirations to upgrade to a radiused, wood fingerboard, the usual frets and a bone nut. Some day....

My oldest grandson had fun 'playing' it along side grandpa in a Bluegrass jam, last October. What a gas!

His little brother, though snapped the neck off of it. [crying] But, Grandpa was able to glue it back with little to no seam. [thumbup] I'm sure he learned his lesson about taking car of instruments. [wink]

Ukes are easy-as-hell to play. Simple chords. Easy stuff. Lots of info on the net too. And it's all free. Try Dr. Uke and Everything Ukelele, and you'll find many other sources......Fender Guy, I've heard you play riffs, you'll have no problem. If I can play a uke, you can do it easily. [thumbup]

The on on our left looks like mine, a Capitol, I think the headstock is the same. Mine has an injection molded fretboard, frets and nut all one piece, like yours appears to be. I have aspirations to upgrade to a radiused, wood fingerboard, the usual frets and a bone nut.

Yours is probably made by Harmony like this one which also has a plastic fretboard

100_3840.jpg

100_3864.jpg

100_3877_edited.jpg

100_3887_edited.jpg

I have an old Audition brand Uke that was an "in house" brand of Woolworth's and Woolco as it was known in Canada in latter years.George Harrison and his son Dhani played uke quite a bit on his last album Brainwashed-it really added a more personal and poignant overall mood to the recording which we all figured would be his swansong.

Uke's are great I have four or five my favorite's are high end Koa models from Lanikai I buy them in Maui when I find an especially nice sounding of looking one. I can't even play a gig anymore without somebody requesting songs on the Uke I usually do Bob Marley songs. And of course you have to learn Iz's version of over the rainbow, [thumbup]

Archived