Gibson Brands Forums

What should I do?

GIANTRobOT42O

So I was jammin today with my people and my straplock busted. My SG took a plunge. I checked it out and it looked fine so I just upon my business. Later on when I got home under closer inspection I noticed two small cracks on both sides of the neck. You can barely see them but I'm afraid it'll get worse. Does anyone know if there a way to fix this? Can a luthier inject some glue in there or somethin? Heres a crappy Ipod pic.

untitled-20.png

So I was jammin today with my people and my straplock busted. My SG took a plunge. I checked it out and it looked fine so I just upon my business. Later on when I got home under closer inspection I noticed two small cracks on both sides of the neck. You can barely see them but I'm afraid it'll get worse. Does anyone know if there a way to fix this? Can a luthier inject some glue in there or somethin? Heres a crappy Ipod pic.

untitled-20.png

it doesn't look serious yet, but take care of that ASAP. Yes, a luthier could inject some glue I once had a neck crack by the headstock on my old Ibanez. The only thing keeping the headstock from snapping under the string tension was the fact the crack was behind the Floyd Rose. The luthier I took it to injected some glue into the crack and it was stronger than new.

More detailed pics are definitely needed. Sorry to hear about the guitar, what actually happened to the straplock? Mine sometimes unscrew themselves from the guitar and i have to tighten them up. I'll stick some glue into the hole during the next week to stay safe

Having had a headstock broken off an old Gibson, your story makes me sick to my stomach.

I agree with the posts above.... get it to someone who can inject some glue in there....it's just a matter of time before it breaks off completely.

Man that makes me want to cry!! I hate that........Glue would work great, just be sure that they do not use any of that polypropalene (gorilla glue) in it because all that would do is make matters alot worse. You could do it yourself if you use a syringe with a needle. That is all they would do. Stew mac sells all of that kind of stuff. Good luck, Tim

Where your guitar has those cracks is the classic area where SGs usually crack off completely when dropped neck first.I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but it is imperative that you get the best luthier you can find to appraise and remedy the damage.

BTW:A good jamming buddy of mine who I grew up with had his '68 SG break completely off at the same point in the mid 70s,had a tech buddy of ours glue and clamp it and he's still using it after almost 40 years of trouble-free service.

More detailed pics are definitely needed. Sorry to hear about the guitar, what actually happened to the straplock? Mine sometimes unscrew themselves from the guitar and i have to tighten them up. I'll stick some glue into the hole during the next week to stay safe

My trick with loose screws is to get a ball of partially dried glue stick glue and put it on the threads. My trick for a sticky trem arm is putting Carmex on the threads of both the arm and the block.

I find the best way to deal with an enlarged screw hole is to cover a toothpick or 2 with glue and jam into the hole and cut them off flush with the surface of the body.Once it's dry you can screw in the strap lock button again.

I would cry if that happened to my SG.

Yeah now I'm stuck using my girls icky Telecaster. I'm not gonna get bent outta shape about it. As long as it can be fixed I'm alright but I'm gonna have serious withdraws. The SG is the most comfortable guitar ever. Plus they look evil

The nut on the straplock unscrewed itself. So everyone should double check those thingys. I guess it could be worse though

WOW, so sorry to hear that. I hope you can get it repaired!

It was the nut on the strap part of the straplock that came unscrewed? I use Schaller straplocks...the nut on the strap is a bear to get real tight, but it can be done. I check mine every time I put a strap on any guitar.

I had the same thing happen to me with my strap locks one time years back only I was lucky enough to catch the neck before it hit the ground, makes me cringe when I think of what could have happened. Hopefully you can find someone good to fix it for you. [thumbup]

Archived