Gibson Brands Forums

Truss rod issue

sngz4hm

I've been a Fender player for many years and recently got into home recording where the 60 cycle hum of the single coil pickups on my Strat became a problem. After several hours watching videos on YouTube I decided I needed a guitar with humbuckers and spent several more hours at my local GC trying out different makes and models. I had been mulling over a PRS Santana model when the salesman brought me a Gibson LP Studio Faded (brown) model to try. It was perfect: no hum, great tone and feel, and in my price range. I sold my Strat the next day and went back to buy the Studio only to find that it had been sold and that they were out of stock and back-ordered for six weeks. In desperation, I ordered one from an on-line retailer who had one in stock. It arrived, factory fresh, but unplayable. The action was set so low on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd strings that they buzzed when fretted anywhere along the neck. Raising the bridge on that end helped but did not eliminate the buzz. The string height on all strings now measures between 4/64" and 5/64" from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string. There is almost no relief in the neck and the nut on the truss rod, as shipped from the factory, was backed-off with no tension on the rod. Am I still set too low? What happens if the humidity pulls the neck back even further and I can't compensate with the truss rod? The only Gibson repair facility in my area won't look at it under warranty because it wasn't purchased there. Any suggestions before I have to pay to ship it back to Gibson? The online retailer won't take it back because I had already filled out and mailed the warranty card (my mistake). Help!

Bummer. If the trussrod nut is backed off all the way and the neck still has no relief, then there's a problem that may be so severe that it cannot be fixed.

Next time, don't ever send in the warranty card or do anything to the guitar until the trial period is over.

I've learned my lesson. I mistakenly thought it was a set-up problem that I could handle, (I've never had a guitar neck that couldn't be adjusted both ways) and sent in the warranty card before checking the truss rod. My bad! Since I have to send it back, I guess they should take a look at the sticking nut and loose tuner on the G string too. Customer Service was very helpful on the phone so I'm hoping for some good news when they check it out. I'll let you know.

Ya' know, on my 60s tribute, the truss rod is also backed off from the factory, barely finger tight, luckily, it's fine as far as relief goes, - and, if I tighten it any more than it is, then it 'frets' out in the middle of the neck.

I made a post about this, and was informed that it was common on the 60s tribs, and told to stop whining, I was too picky, and just live with it- [cursing]

Guest EastEnder

Next time, don't ever send in the warranty card or do anything to the guitar until the trial period is over.

Yes. If in one's new guitar euphoria one feels the need to register for the warranty, do it online and leave the warranty card intact. Customer Service will undo your online registration if the guitar is returned.

The online retailer won't take it back because I had already filled out and mailed the warranty card (my mistake).

The online retailer won't take it back because they want to sell it to the next person "as new"; until they are able to find someone willing to keep it.

maybe its just the nut cut too low?

What happens if you capo the first fret and slide a small piece of paper (about 2" x 2") under the string at the 7th fret while holding the 14th fret?

paper, loose or tight under the string?

Could be the rod is stripped. I had a EP strat copy at had this issue and the dealer gave me a full refund and shipped it back to ESP. So it can happen, but should be repairable. I'd call warranty repair and arrange to ship it back for repair or replacement.

I'd take it to a guitar tech and have him look at the nut, like somebody already said it may be cut too low,

A new bone nut installed would set you back $60 but it will be an improvement in more than one level.

I would not ship it back to Gibson for this, it is going to cost you more money to ship it back and forth.

On a side note, one of my guitars (not a Gibson) had the same problem, I put a couple of drops of super glue on the nut slots and let it dry, I apply two more drops and each time I let it dry then I reshaped the slot using the string itself and iit fixed the problem,once I new this was the issue I had a bone nut made and installed and everything was fine.

Eracer-Team: I can't answer your question because the guitar is on its way back to Nashville. As I slacked off the tension on the strings (instructed to do so by Gibson) prior to boxing it up the 1st string broke at the nut. I noticed that the string was really kinked at the point at which it broke. Is this typical on LP's because of the angle of the headstock? I left the broken string on so they could see it. I don't think the nut was cut too low. In fact I was surprised at how shallow the grooves actually are. Anyone had any luck using a different nut, like maybe one of the graphite ones I've seen advertised? This particular instrument was a real pain to keep in tune, you could hear the string "pop" as it finally slid through the nut while making an adjustment. I really hope Gibson can fix it because I love the look, tone and feel of the guitar otherwise. Thanks for the replies.

Archived