Gibson Brands Forums

Fingerstyle guitarists

BobB

Probably Julian Bream & Carlos Bonell for nylon 'finger picking' guitar. They both have just such lovely silky tones...

I love people like George Benson and Chet Atkins - their electric work is just divine - and Chet has been a huge inspiration, but I find their tone on nylon strings offensive to my ears. They snap at the strings and play it like they are playing an electric.

So for non nylon guitarists, I will have to go with two other Brits; Jimmy Page and also Richard Thompson [thumbup]

Matt

I love people like George Benson and Chet Atkins - their electric work is just divine - and Chet has been a huge inspiration, but I find their tone on nylon strings offensive to my ears. They snap at the strings and play it like they are playing an electric.

Funny thing that's the sound I love from a nylon string guitar, that snappy plucked sound. My favorites would have to be:

Chet Atkins

Jerry Reed

Tommy Emmanuel

Buster B Jones

Leo Kottke

On the electric it would be Mark Knopfler, Brent Mason and Jeff Beck.

Funny thing that's the sound I love from a nylon string guitar, that snappy plucked sound. My favorites would have to be:

Chet Atkins

Jerry Reed

Tommy Emmanuel

Buster B Jones

Leo Kottke

On the electric it would be Mark Knopfler, Brent Mason and Jeff Beck.

Hmmm,

I suppose I love the flamenco snap :) - as the music is really 'gutsy' and raw, but Benson and Chet make (and made) such smooth music, the snap was always "ouch! as it sounded so brittle" LOL

Great we're all different I suppose my amigo!

Matt

ps there is a whole school of Brit fingerstyle (the late Davey Graham, the late Bert Jansch, John Renborn, Martin Carthy, Martin Simpson) that I admire but which outside my scope as a player. Its an interesting mix of Celtic, American, and eastern influences. Dash of medieval music, even.

Jalan Crossland is awesome. Saw him last month at the annual Guitar Masters in Rapid City and he is coming back next month to play in Rapid again. Never miss an opertunity to see him when he is in the Black Hills. Another finger picker I like is Malcolm Holcombe.

Here are a few.

Son House for his fierce pounding rhythm and cutting slide

Skip James for his sparseness and the way he pinched strings rather than strummed them

Mississipi Fred McDowell for his unique damping (or really lack therefof) and the fact he could rock.

Blind Willie Johnson for giving us Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground - the single most haunting piece of music recorded in the 20th century.

Lightnin' Hopkins - well, there just ain't been anybody like him to come along. He could do it all.

Joseph Spence for his ability to run bass, melody, and harmony lines at the same time and his strange tunings.

Alvin Youngblood Hart for being the perfect antidote for Keb Mo's brand of pop blues.

The Piedmont family of guitar players. Gary Davis, Blind Blake, Willie McTell, John Hurt (distant cousin). And the guys that cary it one: Jorma Kaukonen, Ernie Hawkins, Paul Geremia, Roy Book, Frank Fotusky...

Amen to that, brother Rambler......

I have always loved the sound Joni Mitchell gets from her guitar .

Matt

You shouldn't have said that, Matt. You're just going to get Wily (and a few others) to start slobbering all over themselves..... [biggrin]

The mid60's back'n'forth thumb bass note fingerstyle in standard or more advanced chords (which might have been invented long before, but found some real good recordings up through that decade) mesmerized me from the first times I heard it, , , and still does. I thought – If could ever play like this, I'd be a happy man.

Have to put young Donovan and his 1964 J-45 on the list.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Robert Johnson, or did he play with his toes?
Imho, RJs right hand work is not the cornerstone of his rep. 'Taint just me--Ry Cooder, when asked to talk about RJ, always points to Blind Willie Johnson as the transcendent player. BWJ, and the Piedmont guys, Skip James, MJ Hurt even Lightnin' Hopkins (check his Aladdin sides) were more melodically inclined (RJ relied more on riffs). They also had those contrapuntal moves going on. Nothing against poor Robert (Terreplane is a great cut and fun to play) but jsut putting it in perspective. R

ps there is a whole school of Brit fingerstyle (the late Davey Graham, the late Bert Jansch, John Renborn, Martin Carthy, Martin Simpson) that I admire but which outside my scope as a player. Its an interesting mix of Celtic, American, and eastern influences. Dash of medieval music, even.

Yes, you stole my list [thumbup]

And Paul Simon, Stefan Grossman, Ralph McTell, Elizabeth Cotten and many more....

V

:-({|=

Archived