Gibson Brands Forums

What NOT to do with your Hummingbird

EuroAussie

Im not so sure, the sudden change in temperature can really deliver finish checking when he goes from sub zero outside client to a warm climate inside instantly..

Yes yes, it's risky, no doubt – but temperatures not might be that low.

Shouldn't do that with a nitro high-end. . .

51990a1vg8l_ss500_1.jpg

Stills was, and presumably still is, a serious Martin collector, and loves blinged out models like this one. I confess I'm not much of a Martin expert, but that looks like a 12-fret 000-45 slot-head.

He got a lot of grief from the hippie types in the early years for playing that fancy old D-45 (which wasn't so old back then), rather than a more proletarian D-18 or at most, a D-28.

I doubt that he sat in the snow too long for this shot, especially with his sleeves rolled up and that guitar in his hands.

Nevertheless...... I wouldn't do it with one of my guitars.

When I moved to my new music room couple months back i left the humidifier on without placing the 'stop at 45%' setting. Next morning it was like a souna in there with 80% humidity.

Stupidly I open the window for a few mins where there was -10c.

The resulting temp change caused the J-150 to have finishing checkin in 4 spots, plus the action went up from 2.3mm to 3mm and took about 5 days to come back again.

This video reminded me of that moment ... and my stupidity.

Archived