Gibson Brands Forums

The V that flew...

stringrazor

out of a 2nd story window (or so I was told). Found abandoned by a friend who'd met the previous owner. I was going to sell it for him but when I saw the shape it was in, I just gave him $200 for the parts and decided to see if I could repair it myself. With the advice of some experienced pros at mimf.com, I turned out well.

It's a 1983 Korina Reissue.

v-b4-after.jpg

before and after shots - looked like someone had tried to stabilize the neck with wood screws...

neckoff1.jpg

the damage was pretty extensive

readyforpatch.jpg

I glued/clamped the body cracks and chunk that was attached to the neck and carved a patch for the missing chunk out of a scrap of mahogany. The missing chunk area had to be squared, which was hard for me to do because it seemed like I was making it worse!

patched-front.jpg

glued in the patch to rebuild the neck pocket

Reissue-V.jpg

The finished product! It was left outside for a while so it has a "patina" that's not coming off, especially on the metal parts. This was close to 10 years ago and I've gigged with it many times since then. It's an incredible guitar! I never liked Vs before, still don't like the modern ones, but I love this one!

Well, the only spot that needed lacquer was a small section of the upper bout where the patch was glued in. I used a vintage amber then a clear lacquer "marker pen" from Stew Mac. You can definitely see the new patch but I knew I'd never be able to make it invisible.

Would love to know the back story on how it got tossed out of a 2nd story window. Great job putting her back together. It is truely amazing what a little TLC can accomplish.

I heard it had to do with a fight between the previous owner and his gf, although the rumor is probably more intriguing than reality.

I heard it had to do with a fight between the previous owner and his gf, although the rumor is probably more intriguing than reality.

"You love this "#^@^*&" guitar more than you do me!". Swoosh.... bang, crack, crash, clunk...!!!

Either that or a new player trying to master an F chord... [tongue]

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like something an angry girlfriend would do. When they get upset the first thing they want to break is something important to you. Can't count how many times my axes have been threatened to be harmed or sold. LOL

Archived