Gibson Brands Forums

D18 vs J45

Lefty Guy

Hey lefty,

Funnily enough, i watched this video my self yesterday and thought the gibo was the better sounding instrument [thumbup] .

And the second comment on youtube's mine, lol. I feel famous :)

The J45 in that video is mine! Muaaaaahahahahahahaha! (no seriously.....it really is.) I bought it. msp_biggrin.gif

I've got both and have played both at my "cafe Gigs" The D-18 is a '71 and the J-45 is an '05 standard. I really like both these guitars, and considering they both are made from basically the same materials, they are VERY different guitars. After several string "experiments" on the D-18, I've finally concluded that it sounds best with 13's, and for this reason, it is probably a little louder than the J-45. AND, for this reason, my fingers are a little more shot at the end of the gig with the D-18. I've got Newtone 12's on the J-45 and am really liking them. For me, the D-18 is brighter with a quicker attack, deeper bass and brighter trebs. The J-45 is lush with mids, thumpy bass and wonderful highs. The D-18, for these reasons, is probably the better cafe guitar, since it can cut through the cafe chatter and noise a little better, and I can hear it better when playing in that situation. The D-18 also has a great ability to sound good percussively, which I like. Overall, however, if I was sitting on my sofa, picking and singing, or recording, I would choose the J-45, as those wonderful mids sound soooo good with the singing voice. Both great guitars, both with completely different sounds, I would highly recommend BOTH for your guitar quiver!

Archived