Gibson Brands Forums

staining on nitro-cellouse finish

modern image

my johnny a trans black has some areas fo finish that have finish staining from normal playing.

could be sweaty shirt, or laundry detergent residue shirt, cloudy stain over finish got worse with gibson luthier's choice polish.

any sure way to get rid of it.

IMX nitro becomes vintage when stained and dulled a bit with use

It will absorb colour from clothing dyes etc

As well as perspiration and skin oils

So once the process starts, there is little point in attempting to turn the clock back IMO....

V

:-({|=

Like you, I like my guitars to look new. I never intend to sell them, but I like to know that if I need to, they will bring more if they are in better condition. The only way that I have been able to get rid of NC blushing from sweat is by repeated use of guitar polish, and by covering the area exposed to my arm with a cloth (when possible) or wearing a long sleeved shirt. This, and poor impact/scratch resistance, is why I dislike NC lacquers.

Like you, I like my guitars to look new. I never intend to sell them, but I like to know that if I need to, they will bring more if they are in better condition. The only way that I have been able to get rid of NC blushing from sweat is by repeated use of guitar polish, and by covering the area exposed to my arm with a cloth (when possible) or wearing a long sleeved shirt. This, and poor impact/scratch resistance, is why I dislike NC lacquers.

friend has been playing guitar lately.

Hi,

I think the ebony finish seems to stain more than the others! I have a 2005 ES-335 ebony and have the same problem.

I also have two much older ES guitars in the cherry finish and the stain is not as noticeable as on the ebony finish guitar.

Either the black shows it more, or the finishes back in the day were better.

Step 1: Virtuoso Cleaner

Step 2: Virtuoso Polish

Step 3: Never loan out a guitar

"Yes" to all of the above.

When playing, I wear a long-sleeve cotton T-shirt (over another regular T-shirt so that the long sleeve shirt is always dry, and never has deodorant, skin cream, etc on it).

Archived