Gibson Brands Forums

SG G400 fret buzz?

SubspaceAce

Okay, I'm new here. I've recently bought a Cherry SG G400 online, It's my first decent guitar, and I really do like it:)

However, after taking it to the local guitar shop for a different problem (solved now), He pointed out how high the action was on my guitar, he gave me a few similar guitars to test out, so I could see what he meant, He was right!

I had a set of Ernie Ball regular slinkies, before. and after getting the action lowered on my guitar, I know have some super slinkies, which are smaller gauge strings. It is now easier to play, don't have to put as much pressure on the strings and it's a lot nicer to play, it's more sensitive.

However, on the Low E string and A string, there is some fret buzz. When played open, and on about the first 7 or 8 frets or so.

Here's the question though, is a bit of Fret buzz normal? When does it become an actual problem I should get sorted? It doesn't really get picked up by my Amp, if it does, it isn't particularly noticeable. Could it be because I'm used to heavier strings? Or would that make the Fret buzz worse?

Please try and answer my question, although bear in mind, I'm not an experienced guitarist so try not to be too technical.. -.-

Thankyou:)

Okay, I'm new here. I've recently bought a Cherry SG G400 online, It's my first decent guitar, and I really do like it:)

However, after taking it to the local guitar shop for a different problem (solved now), He pointed out how high the action was on my guitar, he gave me a few similar guitars to test out, so I could see what he meant, He was right!

I had a set of Ernie Ball regular slinkies, before. and after getting the action lowered on my guitar, I know have some super slinkies, which are smaller gauge strings. It is now easier to play, don't have to put as much pressure on the strings and it's a lot nicer to play, it's more sensitive.

However, on the Low E string and A string, there is some fret buzz. When played open, and on about the first 7 or 8 frets or so.

Here's the question though, is a bit of Fret buzz normal? When does it become an actual problem I should get sorted? It doesn't really get picked up by my Amp, if it does, it isn't particularly noticeable. Could it be because I'm used to heavier strings? Or would that make the Fret buzz worse?

Please try and answer my question, although bear in mind, I'm not an experienced guitarist so try not to be too technical.. -.-

Thankyou:)

You might need to look "down" your neck, like hold it up to the light and see if the neck is arched or concaved. My guess is that it is arched. I only adjust the truss rod as a last resort, so you might want to simply raise your bridge by about a 1/4 turn each side. Then wait and see how that is. Let us know! Shimming the nut is the next step before I touch the truss rod.

You might need to look "down" your neck, like hold it up to the light and see if the neck is arched or concaved. My guess is that it is arched. I only adjust the truss rod as a last resort, so you might want to simply raise your bridge by about a 1/4 turn each side. Then wait and see how that is. Let us know! Shimming the nut is the next step before I touch the truss rod.

I don't really get what you mean. I looked down my neck, it seems fairly flat to me tbh. Also, I wouldn't know how to raise the bridge nor would I really trust myself to do so:p

I'm not a guitar tech or owt but maybe set the bridge a little higher, your strings may be too low perhaps?

I'm thinking perhaps this could be the case. The man at the guitar place low lowered it a bit because he was shocked at how high it was, perhaps he went a little too far?

Hi and welcome to the forum SA.

Changing the guage of strings to lighter has put less tension on the neck, this probably means the neck is back bowed slightly, the guys at the shop should have adjusted your truss rod to compensate for the change in string guage. One way to check is to fret your low E string at the first fret and at the fret where the neck joins the body (19th on a G400 I think) at the same time, look at the gap between the bottom of the string and the top of the fret about halfway along (9th fret), the gap should be about 0.5mm (0.020"), about the thickness of a business card. If there's no gap or the gap is smaller than this then your guitar needs a truss rod adjustment, you should take it back to the shop and have them adjust it to suit the new guage of strings your are using.

You did suggest it, I just don't know how to do it.

It's easy. Just loosen the strings a bit first. Then use a screwdriver to turn the bolt on each side to the left. Turn it very little. Try a quarter turn at most. And go from there.

There are several other things that could be causing it as well.

You could have a high fret. Your nut could have the string sitting too far down in the slot.

So if raising the bridge doesn't work, let us know. [biggrin]

Welcome to the forum. [thumbup]

It's easy. Just loosen the strings a bit first. Then use a screwdriver to turn the bolt on each side to the left. Turn it very little. Try a quarter turn at most. And go from there.

There are several other things that could be causing it as well.

You could have a high fret. Your nut could have the string sitting too far down in the slot.

So if raising the bridge doesn't work, let us know. [biggrin]

Welcome to the forum. [thumbup]

Can I like mess my guitar up if I do it wrong?:L I don't really trust myself.

I'm pretty sure it's not the bridge, it's the neck because of changing to lighter guaged strings the neck isn't put under as much tension, see my post above.

Thanks for that advice! I'll probably look into that. I'll most likely take a trip to the guitar shop mid week, and ask him about it in person, just to see what he has to say and if he can help.

SA,

You're getting some good advice here and I'm not going to try to improve on it.

Just stopped by to say:

Congrats on the Guitar and...

Welcome to the Forum!!

Pics Please!

Willy

Thankyou:) It's kinda late now, but I'll try upload some pics soon:)

I'm pretty sure it's not the bridge, it's the neck because of changing to lighter guaged strings the neck isn't put under as much tension, see my post above.

I'd be onboard w/ your idea but he said the guitar store lowered his bridge and THEN he noticed the buzz.

I've read, that a bit of Fret buzz is normal. I don't have the amp very loud in my house, so I can kinda hear a bit of buzz, but when I turn the amp up, surely I won't hear it? Maybe I should just put up with it? It's just that, when I'm playing, it can irritate me. I guess that's just the drawback of low action maybe?

SubspaceAce,

Ya know? Seriously, I think you are going through the same thing that many of us have. You bought a nice guitar,

want to get the most out of it, want to take care of it and are at the point where you care enough to ask questions about it.

You are not talking about a defective problem neck. We all get minor buzzes. That's when it's time to do basic adjustments.

If you play guitar the rest of your life then personal basic setup is no different than pullin' out the guit-box

once in a while to do a good cleaning.

It is also the reason to start a basic tool collection...(engineer scale, capo, automotive feeler gauges)

Depending on the climate an humidity, many players do the minor adjustments a couple times a year.

If you have a problem beyond that then most people will go to a pro.

I know that (for the moment) none of this helps your buzz....but...

If you are interested there are many good links in the DIY at the top of the Epi Lounge.

One of my favorite places to start:

http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm

If you're going to try something for the first time and want to talk about it...

That's why we're here.

You'll be surprised, if you stick around, how soon you will be answering questions for others.

Willy

SubspaceAce,

Ya know? Seriously, I think you are going through the same thing that many of us have. You bought a nice guitar,

want to get the most out of it, want to take care of it and are at the point where you care enough to ask questions about it.

You are not talking about a defective problem neck. We all get minor buzzes. That's when it's time to do basic adjustments.

If you play guitar the rest of your life then personal basic setup is no different than pullin' out the guit-box

once in a while to do a good cleaning.

It is also the reason to start a basic tool collection...(engineer scale, capo, automotive feeler gauges)

Depending on the climate an humidity, many players do the minor adjustments a couple times a year.

If you have a problem beyond that then most people will go to a pro.

I know that (for the moment) none of this helps your buzz....but...

If you are interested there are many good links in the DIY at the top of the Epi Lounge.

One of my favorite places to start:

http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm

If you're going to try something for the first time and want to talk about it...

That's why we're here.

You'll be surprised, if you stick around, how soon you will be answering questions for others.

Willy

Willy said it best. [thumbup]

Can I like mess my guitar up if I do it wrong?:L I don't really trust myself.

I used to be like you, however, when I got Dan Erlewine's book 'How to make your electric guitar play great' my life changed. I do all my own setups now, and get my guitars feeling exactly like I want them too. It doesn't take any skill or experience, everything's simple and cheap. That book is full of info and pictures. Every guitarists should own it. Get it from StewMac.

Secondly, I joined the Seymour Duncan User forum and learned all about PU's, pots, caps, magnets, etc and have been able to take a guitar that sounded mediocre, and make it sound great. Again, easy, simple, and cheap stuff anyone can do, if you know what to do. Helpful people.

Lots of resources out there, dig into them. Understand your instrument, know where tone comes from. Knowledge is power. Take the mystery out of guitars. Take control.

I used to be like you, however, when I got Dan Erlewine's book 'How to make your electric guitar play great' my life changed. I do all my own setups now, and get my guitars feeling exactly like I want them too. It doesn't take any skill or experience, everything's simple and cheap. That book is full of info and pictures. Every guitarists should own it. Get it from StewMac.

Secondly, I joined the Seymour Duncan User forum and learned all about PU's, pots, caps, magnets, etc and have been able to take a guitar that sounded mediocre, and make it sound great. Again, easy, simple, and cheap stuff anyone can do, if you know what to do. Helpful people.

Lots of resources out there, dig into them. Understand your instrument, know where tone comes from. Knowledge is power. Take the mystery out of guitars. Take control.

Does this book explain how to remove pickups and change? Never done it but want to learn how to remove current pickups and replace with new ones. Also anything about potting pickups in there too?

Does this book explain how to remove pickups and change? Never done it but want to learn how to remove current pickups and replace with new ones. Also anything about potting pickups in there too?

Check out the Duncan site and forums for info on changing PU's. It's very easy. We'll teach you how to change magents too, and make a 'new' PU that way (also cheap and easy to do). HB's sound best unpotted, so unless you're playing metal really loud, I wouldn't be in a hurry to pot anything.

Archived