Gibson Brands Forums

I Hung My Head

JuanCarlosVejar

This is one of those songs that Cash did the definitive version of. Sting's version (he wrote it) in comparison sounds a bit on the lighthearted side. Not as serious in tone as the Cash version. That's not a judgement on Sting's version. After all, he did write it and knew what he was trying to say. .......Johnny Cash knew he was dying during these recordings and the songs he wrote and chose to record were clearly on the somber side. For me, Cash turned this song in to an anthem for people who have done some act that literally haunts them. At the time of these albums, Cash no longer had the baritone voice that sounded as if it were calling from hell. His voice was often frail and very, very human.

This is one of those songs that Cash did the definitive version of. Sting's version (he wrote it) in comparison sounds a bit on the lighthearted side. Not as serious in tone as the Cash version. That's not a judgement on Sting's version. After all, he did write it and knew what he was trying to say. .......Johnny Cash knew he was dying during these recordings and the songs he wrote and chose to record were clearly on the somber side. For me, Cash turned this song in to an anthem for people who have done some act that literally haunts them. At the time of these albums, Cash no longer had the baritone voice that sounded as if it were calling from hell. His voice was often frail and very, very human.

That's a perfect summary. The more frail and human Cash was, the more powerful his message.

To me, this song was all about the unintended consequences of thoughtless human actions, and the price we all may pay as a result.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE all of Johnny's American Recordings albums. They are tremendous! In an era where country music sounds like pop candy or 70s classic rock, Johnny's albums reminded people what real country music is.

Johnny had a stroke after the third (I believe) album that left his voice compromised. Someone told me they did not like the later albums because his voice did not sound good. I feel just the opposite. It showed how a cultural giant was an ordinary man, dealing with his own mortality. It makes the albums that much more personal and touching.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE all of Johnny's American Recordings albums. They are tremendous! In an era where country music sounds like pop candy or 70s classic rock, Johnny's albums reminded people what real country music is.

Johnny had a stroke after the third (I believe) album that left his voice compromised. Someone told me they did not like the later albums because his voice did not sound good. I feel just the opposite. It showed how a cultural giant was an ordinary man, dealing with his own mortality. It makes the albums that much more personal and touching.

I agree with this .

those albums are treasures

even though the vocals were weak

they are unmistakable Cash vocals .

I saw an interview with Larry King , John stated that he sometimes had to do various takes to get the vocals "right"

JC

Yeah I love the stuff he did with Rick Rubin.. My fav from that is Hurt a Nine Inch Nails cover..

Again, he knew he was dying and you can hear it.. It gives me goosebumps every time

Yeah I love the stuff he did with Rick Rubin.. My fav from that is Hurt a Nine Inch Nails cover..

Again, he knew he was dying and you can hear it.. It gives me goosebumps every time

That one is truly extraordinary. I never get tired of it.

Another big fan here. At my Dad's funeral we played JC's " Streets of Laredo" at the conclusion of the service.....I must admit amongst the tears there were a few giggles from my brother and sisters when it got to the verse "Once in the saddle I used to go dashing, once in the saddle I used to go gay"......

I bet the old man was laughing too. It was a song he would always ask me to play at family get togethers.

Another big fan here. At my Dad's funeral we played JC's " Streets of Laredo" at the conclusion of the service.....I must admit amongst the tears there were a few giggles from my brother and sisters when it got to the verse "Once in the saddle I used to go dashing, once in the saddle I used to go gay"......

I bet the old man was laughing too. It was a song he would always ask me to play at family get togethers.

Nice story =D

JC

One of the great entertainers of all time. Especially his late stuff. The kind that grabs you. 'The Man Comes Around' sends shivers up and down my spine.

That and "Sam Hall" ('damn your eyes'), he sung it the way it ought to be sung.

Archived