Gibson Brands Forums

Need info on SJ200 RW edition 1991

Delmo

Does anyone own of know much about the SJ200 Rosewood Sunburst special edition of 100 produced in 1991? Any info on sound, production specs, quality, rarity (did the full edition sell) ect. would be appreciated. as well as any of the edition for sale. How much are they going for now?

many thanks,

Delmo

1933 L-00; 1939 J-35; 1969 J-50; + various Martin's & others

Does anyone own of know much about the SJ200 Rosewood Sunburst special edition of 100 produced in 1991? Any info on sound, production specs, quality, rarity (did the full edition sell) ect. would be appreciated. as well as any of the edition for sale. How much are they going for now?

many thanks,

Delmo

1933 L-00; 1939 J-35; 1969 J-50; + various Martin's & others

Gibson only made 14 of them in '91. They usually build these limited runs to order so they very seldom reach the total goal. It's a very cool guitar. I have played many Rosewood Gibson SJ-200's and they all amaze me. Maybe the best sounding guitars out there. Very clear and very nice guitars for separation of notes. If you are a flat picker you have hit the jackpot. The product specs? Well all SJ-220's are built on the same body molds so they are all very much the same spec except for wood variation. The Ray Whitley being a Brazilian Rosewood guitar is the pick of the litter for sure but your guitar is a very special instrument.

Gibson only made 14 of them in '91. They usually build these limited runs to order so they very seldom reach the total goal. It's a very cool guitar. I have played many Rosewood Gibson SJ-200's and they all amaze me. Maybe the best sounding guitars out there. Very clear and very nice guitars for separation of notes. If you are a flat picker you have hit the jackpot. The product specs? Well all SJ-220's are built on the same body molds so they are all very much the same spec except for wood variation. The Ray Whitley being a Brazilian Rosewood guitar is the pick of the litter for sure but your guitar is a very special instrument.

Just curious if you knew the quantity off the top of your head or is there someplace that lists this type of info? Inquiring minds want to know

Guest vincent96

thank youg.gif

Thanks so much for all the replies. Does anyone know what the blue-book or vintage guitar value of one of the edition of 14 from 1991 would be? what am I looking at to buy one? There is the first in the edition for sale on Gbase for $5,500, but that seems high?

Thanks so much for all the replies. Does anyone know what the blue-book or vintage guitar value of one of the edition of 14 from 1991 would be? what am I looking at to buy one? There is the first in the edition for sale on Gbase for $5,500, but that seems high?

"Blue Book" values on guitars, particularly from low production runs that do not come on the market often, are relatively meaningless. The only true value is what someone is willing to pay for a particular guitar at a particular point in time. This is best established by an auction.

If the asking price of a guitar seems too high to you, make an offer that is on the low end of what you might be willing to pay.

This is not like buying a used car, where there are plenty of comparable alternatives which help establish price. The price of used guitars, particularly in a buyers' market such as we have now, needs to be subject to negotiation if you are to have a willing seller and a willing buyer. If no one is willing to buy at a set price, that price is too high.

Yes, I do understand the general methods and philosophy of buying and selling guitars, and the buyers market. I have bought and sold vintage and new guitars from my collection of both Martins and Gibsons. The reason I ask whether anyone knows much about the value of this particular run of Re-Issue RW SJ-200, is that someone may have already given the time and research to work this out. Anyone with anymore detailed value & pricing info ON THIS REISSUE, I would love to hear from you.

Delmo

1933 Gibson L-00

1938 Marin 000-21

1939 Gibson J-35

1964 Kay

1966 Silvertone accoustic

1968 Hofner Dreadnought

1969 Gibson J-50

2000 Martin D-18 GE

2007 National Replicon Type O

2009 Martin D-28 Marquis SB

"Blue Book" values on guitars, particularly from low production runs that do not come on the market often, are relatively meaningless. The only true value is what someone is willing to pay for a particular guitar at a particular point in time. This is best established by an auction.

If the asking price of a guitar seems too high to you, make an offer that is on the low end of what you might be willing to pay.

This is not like buying a used car, where there are plenty of comparable alternatives which help establish price. The price of used guitars, particularly in a buyers' market such as we have now, needs to be subject to negotiation if you are to have a willing seller and a willing buyer. If no one is willing to buy at a set price, that price is too high.

Yes, I do understand the general methods and philosophy of buying and selling guitars, and the buyers market. I have bought and sold vintage and new guitars from my collection of both Martins and Gibsons. The reason I ask whether anyone knows much about the value of this particular run of Re-Issue RW SJ-200, is that someone may have already given the time and research to work this out. Anyone with anymore detailed value & pricing info ON THIS REISSUE, I would love to hear from you.

Delmo

1933 Gibson L-00

1938 Marin 000-21

1939 Gibson J-35

1964 Kay

1966 Silvertone accoustic

1968 Hofner Dreadnought

1969 Gibson J-50

2000 Martin D-18 GE

2007 National Replicon Type O

2009 Martin D-28 Marquis SB

Archived