Gibson Brands Forums

Chord Question?

J.R.M.30!

prob a add 5th...*sharp 5th*
WRONG!

That would be an Am7 b5 (On a chord extension "-" means flat, "+" means sharp)

G = 7th

Eb = b5th

C = 3rd

A = root

The m7b5 chord is used a lot in jazz, and is one of my favorite chords. The fingerings for jazz chords are always moveable, so if you know a couple of different fingerings, based on different "root" strings, you can quickly find the right chord at various places on the neck.

The two most frequently used fingerings for a m7b5 are:

String - 6th 5th 4th 3rd 2nd 1st -

5® X 5 5 4 X

Finger - 2 3 4 1

X 12® 13 12 13 X

1 3 2 4

You can move these anywhere because they do not contain any open strings, so.....move the first form up a step and you've got a Bm7b5 (6th string root at the 7th fret), or move the second form down a step and you've got a Gm7b5 (5th string root at the 10th fret).

There is a bunch of shorthand symbols used in jazz charts known as "jazz notation".

To me, Am7-5 is Am7 flat 5th or...

Am7-5.gif

Although technically correct, I know of no case where you would actually play this chord in this position (unused strings are very hard to mute in 1st position), and I would substitute the 6th string root fingering at the 5th fret I have described above.

Maybe someone can post neat chord block.

WRONG!

That would be an Am7 b5 (On a chord extension "-" means flat, "+" means sharp)

G = 7th

Eb = b5th

C = 3rd

A = root

The m7b5 chord is used a lot in jazz, and is one of my favorite chords. The fingerings for jazz chords are always moveable, so if you know a couple of different fingerings, based on different "root" strings, you can quickly find the right chord at various places on the neck.

The two most frequently used fingerings for a m7b5 are:

String - 6th 5th 4th 3rd 2nd 1st -

5® X 5 5 4 X

Finger - 2 3 4 1

X 12® 13 12 13 X

1 3 2 4

You can move these anywhere because they do not contain any open strings, so.....move the first form up a step and you've got a Bm7b5 (6th string root at the 7th fret), or move the second form down a step and you've got a Gm7b5 (5th string root at the 10th fret).

There is a bunch of shorthand symbols used in jazz charts known as "jazz notation".

Oh, you're one of them there learned geetar player, uh huh.

[thumbup]

Also known as half-diminished, symbol is a small circle with a slash through it.

Diminished triad with a major third on top.

The 'inside strings' (root on A string) shape they're talking about also functions as a non-root (dom) ninth chord. Not in the same key of course.

Typical II-V-I in minor key; Dmi(7)-Emi7b5-A7-Dmi, or perhaps Gmi(7)-Ami7b5-D7-Gmin.

3 most useful shapes have root on E or A or D string.

Mi7b5 will usually go to dominant chord a 4th up (or 5th down). But plenty of exceptions.

We could continue this in the learning/techniques etc section....?

Guest farnsbarns

Although technically correct, I know of no case where you would actually play this chord in this position (unused strings are very hard to mute in 1st position), and I would substitute the 6th string root fingering at the 5th fret I have described above.

Maybe someone can post neat chord block.

Just don't hit either E string. Or play xx1213 or bar at the 8th 8.10.10.8.10.8, these could all also be described as Cm6 depending on the key of the peice.

Archived