Gibson Brands Forums

Gordie Johnson SG

SGJ

Hi, just signed up here. I recently picked up a Gordie Johnson SG and was wondering if anyone here has one? I was wondering if the guitar is designed for high action as Gordie plays slide. I'd like to lower the action but I get some fret buzz on the low E when I do and the bridge pickup is up aobut as high as it will go. I don't have any experience making these kind of adjustments to SG's. Is ther anything I need to be aware of or is it safe to just lower the pickup and action. Also any suggestions on how to get rid of the fret buzz?

It's safe to lower the pickup/action, the purpose of the adjustment screws are to set it to your preferences. Make sure when you're adjusting the pickups that you're plugged in because changing the pickup height can alter your tone. Just keep looking for that sweet spot. As for the action, lower it until you get a buzz and raise it up in small increments until the buzz stops. If it's only on the low E, then just work on raising that side. After fixing the action, you might want to intonate (Google "How to intonate a guitar").

Make sure that the truss rod is adjusted so the neck is perfectly straight. Only then will you be able to achieve optimum action. WARNING: This adjustment is extremely critical, ESPECIALLY on a Gibson. If you snap the truss rod, the guitar is then basically firewood, so make sure that whoever adjusts the rod is qualified to do so.

hey i just swapped both 57 classics, with p94 neck pup and seymour duncan phat cat bridge pup(actually iam lookin for the p94 for the bridge pup but i couldnt find it in my country) can you tell me is the difference between the p90s? are you satisfied with the p94? iam still looking for the p94 for the bridge but couldnt find it, maybe i should order it from the states..or can anybody help me?

As far as I know, the P94 is just a P90 but in a humbucker size. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. They sound like P90's to me. I love the sound. They are noisy though, especially with higher gain. I use a Big Muff pedal on occasion and a noise gate is needed to cut the hum. But clean or with a regular overdrive the hum isn't too bad. Rock is supposed to be noisy, right?

• 3 months later...
Here's a picture of it. Its basically a '61 reissue with P94's

SGJ1.jpg

man that is such a sweet SG!! i love Gordie Johnson... had the pleasure of seeing him (and his band Big Sugar) play live one new year's eve a few years ago... LOUD is an understatement!! :D

i wish Gibson would bring back this model, or one like it!

cheers

Archived