Gibson Brands Forums

What Was Your Very First Acoustic Guitar?

John Lee Walker

Johnt - if the 'classic crap classical' was the Giannini, don't knock it, as Spanish style guitars go it is (even after all this time) very playable with a real big sound for nylon. I actually pick it up and play it for pleasure to this day.....

And like I said before - Little Jim started on one of those Giannini guitars.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johnt - if the 'classic crap classical' was the Giannini' date=' don't knock it, as Spanish style guitars go it is (even after all this time) very playable with a real big sound for nylon. I actually pick it up and play it for pleasure to this day.....

And like I said before - Little Jim started on one of those Giannini guitars.[/quote']

No It was far worse than the Gianni.

I won that in a poker game in Golders Green in about 1971. The guy was tall and mean and packed a mean six shooter but he backed down under my steely gaze.

Either that or I bought it from a work Colleague named Brian Douieb.

I can't quite recall which it was!

Come on then Johnt - spill the beans on the worse than that guitar.....

What was it and what happened to it.

I had a spanish from a skip once - neck was so fat, I took it back a day later.

Some kids saw me re-skipping it and said they wanted it, I told them 'No - it's too bad.....'

and took them home (round the corner) and gave them an old spanish of mine.

Figured they might just learn on mine - but never on the tree trunk guitar!

Come on then Johnt - spill the beans on the worse than that guitar.....

What was it and what happened to it.

I had a spanish from a skip once - neck was so fat' date=' I took it back a day later.

Some kids saw me re-skipping it and said they wanted it, I told them '[i']No - it's too bad.....[/i]'

and took them home (round the corner) and gave them an old spanish of mine.

Figured they might just learn on mine - but never on the tree trunk guitar!

Haven't got a clue what make it was!

I remember it ended up being painted Blue (or was it green) with Valspar.

It met a sorry end in Richmond Park in 1970 (ish) in a impromptu game of cricket whilst seeing small birds in the sky (if you know what I mean, nudge nudge)

My dad bought me a Stella 6-string. I was probably 5 at the time. The action was horrible. It sounded horrible. When I broke a string, I didn't know you could actually buy new strings, so I tied the strings together. I played around the knots. However, I perservered and today, I proudly own a Les Paul Custom. =D>

Johnt- Your posts are cracking me up today! Take more pain pills !!!

Why thank you kind sir, much obliged!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have been quiet this week due to a credit crunch meaning that I had do exercise my right to work a little.

Haven't worked out how to post on the forum from a Blackberry. (I do know how to make a tart from it though!! BOOM- BOOM)

I have cracked the pain problem now

I have declared that the sun has gone over the yard arm and as such my old mates Jimmy and Jack are accessible!

Just another pint and it won't hurt anymore!

T.G.I.F!!!

Peace and love

Mine was an early 1960's hardboard Roy Rogers , we lived in Hawaii so I think it kinda expanded and came close to exploding from the humidity levels but ultimately it probably fell prey to EL CA BONG antics between myself and my 2 older brothers,Iloved that cartoon, oh well](*,)

a Kiso Suzuki hummingbird copy. Adj. Bridge, lovely neck and tone to die for. Honestly.

I wrote over 500 songs with it, and only let go of it when I got my SJ200. It now resides, on permanent loan, with a dear friend of mine.

I would love another one, one day, though. Just for nostalgia's sake.

a Kiso Suzuki hummingbird copy. Adj. Bridge' date=' lovely neck and tone to die for. Honestly.

I wrote over 500 songs with it, and only let go of it when I got my SJ200. It now resides, on permanent loan, with a dear friend of mine.

I would love another one, one day, though. Just for nostalgia's sake.[/quote']

Jinder

You have a PM

Very first was a Stella. I think I got it for $25 at Macys or Sears in NY. After a couple of years I got a Gibson CO and never looked back. I guess the concept is to weed out potential players by making guitars for them that are painful to play and painful to hear. They're still doing it - First Act guitars are just as bad. So much for technology, etc. Then, like News36 got an LG1 that was my one and only for 40 years. Until I stumbled on this Forum and got gassed. Got an SJ200 and gave the LG1 to my son. Like Fretgirl, I'm really a one guitar at a time person.

Archived