Gibson Brands Forums

On a more serious note

ol fred

Noticed what appeared to be a minute ding just inside the binding between the upper and lower bouts directly in line with the center of the port a couple of weeks ago, a cause of consternation but not much more. Horror!! yesterday after my morning coffee as usual I picked up my beloved ol gal to exercise my fingers and found an inch and a half crack following the grain just above the kerfing in the same spot.

Signed, Heartbroken.

Edited Heck, it's just an old broken guitar, maybe I should just give it to kerwin36

Lawdy - don't fret, that is an easy fix. Can't tell you how many of my guitars have had cracks repaired. If done by somebody who knows what they are doing you will be hard pressed to even see where the crack was when the guitar is put back into you loving hands.

Lawdy - don't fret, that is an easy fix. Can't tell you how many of my guitars have had cracks repaired. If done by somebody who knows what they are doing you will be hard pressed to even see where the crack was when the guitar is put back into you loving hands.

Right! I believe I've never owned a crack-free git.

Thanks all for the moral support. Not her first, one in the middle of the lower bout right after she came to me. Cleated and glued, This one is on top of the kerfing, I'm sure my luthier will save her but I sure don't wanna wind up with Trigger's twin.

Guest atwood13

Damn Fred - sorry to read about that.

A ding I could live with.

A crack - I hope it quits growing. . [-o<

yes!!g.gif

Paul, thank you .If I were nearby you would most certainly be in temporary possession by now, unfortunately (at least as far as availability of luthiers go) I'm in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada.

There are a few around but not many, and none who are Gibson certified. John How is the closest but I don't think he does repairs. Probably going to take it down the hill to Arnie Gamble in Sacramento as soon as the rain stops.

Invited Ren to SANSJAM in August...Would be great if he could do it, but I can't wait that long.

Fred, sorry to hear about the crack. I wouldn't let it sit that way for very long or it will probably spread. I'd fix it for you if you are anywhere near the Boston area.

Archived